tough shrimp!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
paulrw
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw

tough shrimp!

so i thought i would share this interesting story. if you look at the link in my sig. you can see i had a 20g set up with lots of d.g.'s i had so many in fact that i traded enough of them to get a hydor 200w inline heater and a reptifogger and a bunch of odds and ends at my lfs in myrtle beach. then i moved back to new hampshire. i gave my friend there all but like 20 d.g.'s and set the rest up in a 2.5g for the move. when i got up here they started breeding again like crazy. then about a year later i had to move again for work. at this time i had a full house again so i gave what i thought was all the shrimp to another friend. that was about 2 months ago. the 2.5 sat with about 1 gallon of water and some flourite no heater no filter no light. it made the move like that and sat in my new place like that in the basement. well i started a new spec 2. and a new 4g finnex reef tank. i decided that i was going to turn the 2.5g into a nano sump, grabbed it to clean it out and i'll be a monkeys uncle! there was 1 lone tiny shrimp in there! 2 months no heater no filter (so absolutly NO moving water) no light no food and that little s.o.b. was still alive! i took him out with a small net no drip aclimation just right in my new tank, which was at 76degrees and the basment 2.5 was probably like 55 degrees. and damn it he's alive and well eating like a champ. it's been 2 1/2 days so far. i'm pretty pumped!
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I tore down a 7.5 cube, thought I got all the CRS out of it. Drained it to a half gallon, put it aside for a few weeks, no filter, no light, water just above the substrate level. Decided to fill it as I had some decent moss in there and wanted to set it back up, so filled it with warm untreated tap water and then let it sit for another almost week. Finally hooked up a filter to it and put the light on. I see a CRS baby. Scoop it out. Another. 17 babies later they were finally all out.

Funny we baby them so much sometimes trying to create the best tank possible and they die, leave them alone for months and they live. lol. Swear my next shrimp rack is going to have lights off for 2 days a week, filters than only half work, never change water and let it get down to 25%. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
paulrw
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post

Funny we baby them so much sometimes trying to create the best tank possible and they die, leave them alone for months and they live. lol. Swear my next shrimp rack is going to have lights off for 2 days a week, filters than only half work, never change water and let it get down to 25%. lol.
haha right?
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

We had some RCS in a 80 gallon tank and added a Fahaka, ran it for 6 months and decided to clean out one of the 2217's and found a colony of over 20 alive in the filter. They can survive and thrive in some impressively inaccessible spots.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Sometimes I wonder if we are actually doing the more sensitive shrimp a disservice by making everything so sterile- thus continuing /creating more sensitive shrimp instead of hardier breeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.