Can't handle the noisy filter!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
VictoriaLeigh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can't handle the noisy filter!

I have a stock filter that came with my Fluval Ebi. The noise is driving me NUTS. I don't know what is going on with it but it will not stop making this rattling noise. I can adjust it so it seems quiet for an hour, and then it's back at it again. I have the flow turned down all the way because I have a betta, and I know that makes it worse, but seriously, this has to be the most annoying sound in the world.

Does anyone have suggestions for a QUIET mini canister filter? The bioload in my tank is very low with only one betta and a few tiny snails, so I don't need much of a filter.
VictoriaLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle...ds=zoo+med+501

I had one of these on my EBI before I tore it down and it worked great in that tank.. it is quiet once you get the air primed out. The spray bar is just the right width for the tank and can aim it at the glass to reduce flow. If you give your betta some quiet spaces in the tank to chill out (using rocks, driftwood, etc) the flow shouldn't be a problem. I do suggest adding more bio media in place of the carbon it comes with.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaLeigh View Post
I have a stock filter that came with my Fluval Ebi. The noise is driving me NUTS. I don't know what is going on with it but it will not stop making this rattling noise. I can adjust it so it seems quiet for an hour, and then it's back at it again. I have the flow turned down all the way because I have a betta, and I know that makes it worse, but seriously, this has to be the most annoying sound in the world.

Does anyone have suggestions for a QUIET mini canister filter? The bioload in my tank is very low with only one betta and a few tiny snails, so I don't need much of a filter.
Actually you don't need a filter at all with a planted tank. Just water movement.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

The zoomed is quiet or you can get an eheim (quieter from what people say).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
huhu89151734
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to huhu89151734
Default Can't handle the noisy filter!

How big is your Ebi? I have a zoo mad and I love it being silent. You can't hear ANYTHING out of it. But I wouldn't use it on a tank that holds more than 5 gallon of water.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The filter probably isn't level or it's touching the sides. You can get a piece of foam and wedge it between the filter and the sides. See if that works before buying a new filter.
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
stevencaller
Algae Grower

don't worry about the noisy filter too much as there are many reasons for such problems, all of which can generally be solved very easily. A fluval filter shouldn't make any noise at all. If it's not caused by the filter touching something else or air in the impeller chamber, try greasing up the impeller shaft with vaseline.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Just adding to what everyone said, I have filters and airpumps that get noisy until you fiddle with it. Move it, take some of the pieces apart and put them back together again. Most filters are about the same but they need cleaning form time to time and sometimes changing the position slightly does wonder for noise. Hang in there! I bet you can fiddle with the filter and it get to sound quieter
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Never seen that filter but if there's a magnet impeller you can pull out, coat it with some vaseline, it should help, otherwise if it isnt sand in magnet impeller housing, bio-grime will coat it over time. Yes vaseline is safe. a lot of HOB filter cichlid guys been doing it for ages.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
suprdave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Actually you don't need a filter at all with a planted tank. Just water movement.

What? This is the first time I have ever heard that. Are you saying I can just have a water pump in a 36 gallon tank with a dozen fish, a few plants, and be ok?
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

No he means just plants. I think. I wouldn't run a 36g with fish w/o filtration.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
What? This is the first time I have ever heard that. Are you saying I can just have a water pump in a 36 gallon tank with a dozen fish, a few plants, and be ok?
not a few plants - LOTS of plants, can't see the back, can't see the ground. That would allow you to also have shrimp & snails or a FEW fish.