Pre-soaked Driftwood from LFS?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
J2d2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pre-soaked Driftwood from LFS?

Hi,

My LFS sells pre-soaked driftwood from their tanks. What do you think about buying it pre-soaked?

Besides the risk of hitchhikers, are there any other things to watch out for?

Thanks.
J2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Rotten wood.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

More to the point, do they charge you a lot more for it?

If they do, and your willing to wait, buy the uncured driftwood. It's really not too hard to cure
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Dknight
Algae Grower

I bought presoaked driftwood from my LFS... Same price as the one on the shelf. I took it home and threw it straight in boiling water anyway! Dont need any hitchhikers as you mentioned.

Better safe than sorry
Dknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
J2d2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
More to the point, do they charge you a lot more for it?

If they do, and your willing to wait, buy the uncured driftwood. It's really not too hard to cure
Not sure what the average cost of driftwood should be, I have never bought any. But the LFS sells the presoaked for 3-5 for a small and 10 for a medium size piece.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
J2d2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dknight View Post
I bought presoaked driftwood from my LFS... Same price as the one on the shelf. I took it home and threw it straight in boiling water anyway! Dont need any hitchhikers as you mentioned.

Better safe than sorry
Great advice!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Are you concerned about tannins, waterlogging, or something else?

As to tannins, I can understand wanting to skip the initial heavy leeching phase, although it's generally not harmful, and even beneficial to an extent. I'd just try to keep things in check with some carbon/purigen and frequent partial water changes.

As to waterlogging, a lot of the typical driftwoods are dense enough they can sink with little-no soaking. Even so, I'm a fan of bolting them to slate, not just to keep them from floating, but also to make them a little more stationary. a lot of people use stainless screws, I'm partial to nylon. I've heard of good results with zipties and fishline, and I imagine something like epoxy or gorilla glue would probably work.

I've never bothered, but boiling should accelerate both of these processes (waterlogging and initial heavy leeching).

I think the most important factor is how much you know about / trust your fish store. Do they quarantine new fish, is their stock generally healthy, do they do system-wide dosing of meds/etc., how's the water quality, etc. There is a lot of advice about taking care to not add the bag water when adding new fish to a tank; if anything, I would think adding pre-soaked driftwood would be potentially more risk (unless it was boiled or something twixt pet store and your tank).
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
J2d2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Are you concerned about tannins, waterlogging, or something else?

As to tannins, I can understand wanting to skip the initial heavy leeching phase, although it's generally not harmful, and even beneficial to an extent. I'd just try to keep things in check with some carbon/purigen and frequent partial water changes.

As to waterlogging, a lot of the typical driftwoods are dense enough they can sink with little-no soaking. Even so, I'm a fan of bolting them to slate, not just to keep them from floating, but also to make them a little more stationary. a lot of people use stainless screws, I'm partial to nylon. I've heard of good results with zipties and fishline, and I imagine something like epoxy or gorilla glue would probably work.

I've never bothered, but boiling should accelerate both of these processes (waterlogging and initial heavy leeching).

I think the most important factor is how much you know about / trust your fish store. Do they quarantine new fish, is their stock generally healthy, do they do system-wide dosing of meds/etc., how's the water quality, etc. There is a lot of advice about taking care to not add the bag water when adding new fish to a tank; if anything, I would think adding pre-soaked driftwood would be potentially more risk (unless it was boiled or something twixt pet store and your tank).
I guess I was more concerned about the latter. I do trust my LFS. But I think boiling the drift wood is a good idea just to be safe.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I would buy a regular piece and boil it yourself. I would not just rely on what others claim has been done....esp from a LFS.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Pix4c
Algae Grower

I bought a piece from a member a month ago I still can't get it to sink
Pix4c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah do it yourself. I don't trust any LFS tank water. Shipments come, and go, and knows really what could be in that water. Just not worth the risk to me. If I were paid a hourly rate to prep the wood at home, it would be cheaper then what it could cost to fix a potential problem. Its smarter, and economical to prep your own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.