DIY adding H2O to tank from 2nd floor with PVC pipes - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
PICKLES
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Last edited by PICKLES; 02-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: ...
PICKLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
There is a hidden benifit to your system that I think you are overlooking. If you were to stragecially place the dirty dishes on the stairs, they would get a proper cleaning from the waterfall caused by the inevitable seperation of the pvc pipes. Seriously, I would invest in a couple of 5 gal buckets and a maid.
That's too funny!
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
evilhorde
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKLES View Post
1) Kitchen is wife's domain [looks over shoulder], she's lazy about the dishes so the sink is always piled high with them.
I have a small countertop dishwasher beside my pile of dirty dishes and the quick release that the dishwasher uses is by great luck the exact same as the quick release on my tank filling hose.
Buy a dishwasher and tell the wife that it is to make her life easier, then use the quick release in conjunction with your hose and fill that tank up with little risk. (the only risk is that she realizes that the dishwasher purchase was a premeditated trick to get at that downstairs tap)

My tank filling hose consists of a quick release adapter --> 'Y' splitter --> hose --> shut off valve.
I attach the hose to the tap, close the 'hose' side and the valve on the far end of the hose and open the 'no hose' side of the splitter. Run water until I get the temp I want, close the 'no hose' side and open the 'hose' side of the spliter. Then I drag the other end of the hose to the tank, drop it in and open that valve.
When I am done, I shut the valve at the tank end and remove it from the tank, turn off the tap and open the 'no hose' side. Then I go back to the far end and hold it up higher than the 'Y' splitter and open the valve. As I walk back to the tap, I roll the hose up (always keeping it up) and drain all the water out of the hose back into the sink.Finally I close all the valves, disconnect from the tap and put it away.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Maybe you can negotiate a deal wherein you clean whatever dishes are currently in the sink, and in exchange you get to use the kitchen faucet for one tank filling?

I agree with the bit about friction-fit PVC being a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe get some vinyl or rubber tubing, it should cost a bit less then a garden hose.

Also, in the past I've seen universal faucet adaptors that are sorta like a rubber funnel that just smushes over the entire faucet. Maybe you can find something like that, and you wouldn't have to bother with trying to remove the aerator and attaching another adapter and such.

Or just use buckets?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
PICKLES
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhorde View Post
My tank filling hose consists of a quick release adapter --> 'Y' splitter --> hose --> shut off valve.
Can you give me a link to this product? I don't think I've heard of this before.
PICKLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #21
evilhorde
Planted Member

Not a product, it's just handful of pieces I put together one afternoon while I strolled through Home Depot.

If your tank water level is higher than the 'Y' splitter then this would probably work well for draining as well.
One small problem I have is with the hose I purchased. The big bulky plastic end hits the valve before I get it fully tight and as a result it leaks a little into the sink. Not a big deal really, but something to consider when you buy bits.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #22
h0meless
Algae Grower

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...91298892f2.jpg
5gal bucket is the way to go
h0meless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
Mantis992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I agree with lochaber. How are you too lazy to wash a couple dishes, but motivated enough to create the Keystone Pipeline inside your house? Lmao.
Mantis992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
sharonluvd
Algae Grower

seriously... this is one of the posts we all (at least I) wait to see on a forum like this..

SPEECHLESS! and definitely added to my DO NOT DO LIST... but I guess i'll give you credit for the effort... haha
sharonluvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

After a few times of connecting and disconnecting those PVC pipes it won't hold together by friction. Then you'll be duct taping them together.

IF you catch it before it spills a ton of water all over your nice hardwood floors. IF.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #26
Cardoc
Algae Grower

I can't connect a python to my faucets on my first floor where my tank is so two five gallon buckets work great. What you got going on is just a waste of time and money, two five gallon buckets $3.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
dj2606
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

why not wash the dishes for her and she will appreciate your helping around the house to overlook you using the faucet for the water change?

the pvc will eventually give at the joints and make a worse mess than just having to wash a sink full of dirty plates and silver.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Xer0-

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhorde View Post
I have a small countertop dishwasher beside my pile of dirty dishes and the quick release that the dishwasher uses is by great luck the exact same as the quick release on my tank filling hose.
Buy a dishwasher and tell the wife that it is to make her life easier, then use the quick release in conjunction with your hose and fill that tank up with little risk. (the only risk is that she realizes that the dishwasher purchase was a premeditated trick to get at that downstairs tap)

this is the trick i used to get a quick release onto my kitchen sink. not quite a "countertop" unit, but a roll away unit cause my kitchen is strapped for space. (dishwasher in the hall closet for storage. lol)

with no shutoff at the bottom ,when you shut this system off upstairs ,all the water in the hose and pvc will still end up in the tank. hope you have some sort of overfill protection in mind.
Xer0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #29
sdbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2606 View Post
why not wash the dishes for her and she will appreciate your helping around the house to overlook you using the faucet for the water change?

The pvc will eventually give at the joints and make a worse mess than just having to wash a sink full of dirty plates and silver.
+ 1
sdbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: DIY adding H2O to tank from 2nd floor with PVC pipes

this topic is pure gold.

Honestly, just do the dishes and tell your wife that youre going to use the faucet, dont ask. You help pay rent, right? banned from the sink? really? REALLY?

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote