Prohibited lists by State - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (427/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,357
Default

You don't have to import it. It's already available in the United States.

Importing without proper documentation could be problematic, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
Talking about legal/illegal things, it's cool to bring borneowild food to the US right?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kinection's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You don't have to import it. It's already available in the United States.

Importing without proper documentation could be problematic, however.
So that's a... no? The prices over there are cheaper, and I'm taking the plane, so it's much quicker.
__________________
- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,606
Default

It's not a living thing, so you may be able to- BUT check with the authorities first before you buy and it's confiscated. Then let US know what they say. heh
__________________
RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kinection's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 930
Default

Not to jack the thread or anything, but if substrates aren't alive... why can't you bring DRL Akadama or Borneowild shrimp substrate to the US?
__________________
- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
sayurasem
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
Not to jack the thread or anything, but if substrates aren't alive... why can't you bring DRL Akadama or Borneowild shrimp substrate to the US?
Akadama is banned because it has too many organic waste in the bag (which is true) I found twigs, and roots when it wasn't banned before.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #21
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,606
Default

Here's a list of what you are NOT allowed to bring back: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...restricted.xml That includes soil.

As far as food (pet or otherwise) "...almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States. Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."
__________________
RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kinection's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Here's a list of what you are NOT allowed to bring back: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...restricted.xml That includes soil.

As far as food (pet or otherwise) "...almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States. Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."
Oh I see! Thanks for clearing that up.
So practically, I really can't get anything from foreign countires. lol
__________________
- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,606
Default

No problem. This is exactly what this thread is for.
__________________
RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,996
Default

I was able to bring back shrimp food just fine, and there is no duty on it. However I had to have a translated copy of the labels which listed ingredients, and they cannot contain meat or animal products. (aka gelatin, crab shell, fish meal, etc.)

Also I was bringing it back as a representative of the shrimp food company, so that might have helped me as well. Overall I don't think they'd care if you brought a couple of different foods and stuff, but if it's enough to where they think you might sell it they may make you pay entrance fees or make you go through secondary clearance. (which is nerve wracking to say the least)
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #25
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kinection's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I was able to bring back shrimp food just fine, and there is no duty on it. However I had to have a translated copy of the labels which listed ingredients, and they cannot contain meat or animal products. (aka gelatin, crab shell, fish meal, etc.)

Also I was bringing it back as a representative of the shrimp food company, so that might have helped me as well. Overall I don't think they'd care if you brought a couple of different foods and stuff, but if it's enough to where they think you might sell it they may make you pay entrance fees or make you go through secondary clearance. (which is nerve wracking to say the least)
Would you say it's necessary to have a translated copy of the ingredients? I'm just bringing back some Mosura Bio Plus, Excel, and a couple baby foods. If I was stopped at the airport, my mom would kill me. I'm not going to take the risk if it's a 50/50 though.
__________________
- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #26
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,996
Default

Excel has meat in it I think.

I don't think it's a big deal
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
byork
Algae Grower
 
byork's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 70
Default Prohibited lists by State

http://www.gainvasives.org/gaweeds.cfm
http://www.gaeppc.org/list.cfm
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/1202
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/731

I think that the links above cover plants, invertebrates and animals that can be kept legally in Georgia. If you would like to add Georgia to your list.

Great idea by the way.
byork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #28
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,996
Default

Also here are Washingtons rules on inverts

http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/crustaceans.html
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #29
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kinection's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 930
Default

I can't believe I'm doing it for the love of my shrimp. Addiction...
__________________
- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #30
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byork View Post
...If you would like to add Georgia to your list.

Great idea by the way.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate the appreciation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Also here are Washingtons rules on inverts

http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/crustaceans.html
Great! It helps there are pics there, too. Thanks!
__________________
RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012