CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #61
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Remember the golden rule of iwagumi though, the oyaishi, largest, stone is placed at 2/3 the length and 2/3 the height of the tank. That is, of course, if you want to be strict about iwagumi.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #62
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
That's much better! Wow, way to take in critique and apply it in your own way - the best artists are able to do that with ease Everything looks very balanced and natural, with the exception of the tallest stone. It's just a little too vertical. Maybe play with it a touch? As long as it doesn't cost you any height, it should smooth out the lines of the composition. You are very close to a winner, here!
Thanks very much I did further "tighten" the 2 groupings slightly and tilt/lower the tallest stone - I'll post pics tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I really like the last one. Their is room for some tweaking (I would consider moving the 3 left stones over just a tad and maybe turn the left stone in the right group a bit) but I think you could easily start the tank as is and just move things as you see fit, especially if you are still considering a dry start.
Did it - Pics on the morrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
nice nice, when its going to be planted?
Planted??? Are you nuts? You think, that after all this work getting these stones juuuuust right, I would consider messing up the whole thing by adding water and plants?!!??

Truthfully, I've barely even starting thinking about plants other than limiting selection to just few varieties - all forground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Remember the golden rule of iwagumi though, the oyaishi, largest, stone is placed at 2/3 the length and 2/3 the height of the tank. That is, of course, if you want to be strict about iwagumi.
After the last tweaks, I might be close on the 2/3 length - but with a tank that is only 9 inches deep (before adding substrate) the 2/3 height isn't likely to happen. IIRC, roughly translated Iwagumi means "rock formation" Well.. I got rocks and they are, by some sense of the word in a formation - ergo Iwagumi

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club

Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 06-26-2012 at 11:20 AM..
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #63
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

For the record - I really like what this has evolved into - although I can't take much credit for it. It's more a product of the many suggestion and comments that everyone has taken the time to provide - Thank You!
  • I shifted the left grouping to the right so the oyaishi sits precisely 12" from the left wall of the tank (1/3 of the tank length.)
  • I tightened the intra-stone spacing in the the groups
  • Although it shows poorly in the photographs, I created a ridge that runs the length of the tank, and gently arcs from the front-left corner to the right rear corner. I think this provides a "connection" between the groupings despite their distance.
  • Strangely enough, the most challenging stone to place was the small "bump" stone that sits by itself. I must have moved, rotated and tried removing that stone a thousand time. Without it - the separation of the groups seemed to "contrived". I'm curious to see everyone's opinion.

Sorry for all the reflections - I was short on time this morning...

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #64
mattycakesclark
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I like the tank stain, similar to my aimless stand. Looks great, I like the color of the substrate against the rocks.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
For the record - I really like what this has evolved into - although I can't take much credit for it. It's more a product of the many suggestion and comments that everyone has taken the time to provide - Thank You!
Of course you can - the critique we have given are just techniques. Even the 1/3 "rule" is just a guideline. Technique is about more clearly executing your intent. The intent is always yours. Ultimately, you are responsible for the decisions that create your scape. Take some credit for the quality of your work! Though, you're welcome for the critique Looks great!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #66
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

update please!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #67
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

Any updates on the tank?

Thanks for posting the PAR data, any new with it filled? Im looking to get this fixture for my 12G long.
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #68
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
update please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Any updates on the tank?

Thanks for posting the PAR data, any new with it filled? Im looking to get this fixture for my 12G long.
Sorry all, business demands have severely limited my "tank time" over the past 6 months.

My storage cabinet is now full of the needed freshwater and ADA "parts and pieces" I just haven't had time to complete this build.

I have the tank lighted and on it's stand behind a sofa in my living room...

This is still the mock-up tank. The actual build will use multiple substrates and substrate-additives. I also frosted the back of the tank that will eventually be used - I just haven't had time to do the transfer

Even without water or any life whatsoever....I find it beautiful. It's one of my favorite things in the room.

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #69
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What happened to the frosted backing on this tank?
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #70
dudebro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This looks great so far. Really looking forward to more.

My next tank will probably be a 12 gallon long. Subscribed.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #71
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha38 View Post
What happened to the frosted backing on this tank?
This is still the mock-up tank. The actual build will use multiple substrates and substrate-additives. I also frosted the back of the tank that will eventually be used - I just haven't had time to do the transfer

Even though it's still dry without anything growing in it - I really love this tank.

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #72
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

The evolution to this tank has been inspiring... really nice! The final layout looks great

What plantings are you considering, and I might have missed it, but what are you planning for filtration?

Looking forward to seeing it filled.

ps- on the etching, would you say it would be difficult to install on an existing tank that's filled?

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #73
walluby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think the rock that is pointing straight up to the
sky needs to be angled. I think left would look
better than right.

Jeff
walluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #74
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
The evolution to this tank has been inspiring... really nice! The final layout looks great

What plantings are you considering, and I might have missed it, but what are you planning for filtration?

Looking forward to seeing it filled.

ps- on the etching, would you say it would be difficult to install on an existing tank that's filled?
Thanks - The etching is very easy to install, it's just a vinyl cling film and it looks great.

While I haven't made any progress on this tank, I am rebuiliding the 12 long reef that sits on my desk. I placed a few more corals in the tank today - most haven't opened yet and few are in their final locations - but here are a couple of quick cell-cam photos...

The photos are poor and don't show the wide variety of colors of the various Gorgs which includes pinks, purples and golds.

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #75
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

Not much to update on this build, I've been largely tied up with work and family. I have all the equipment on hand - I just haven't had time to move it forward. I really love the look of the tank (even dry.) It's now located in the foyer of my home and I smile every time I walk by it.

I'm currently working on an 8', 270 gallon reef build. Once it's up and running, I think I'll revisit my little Iwagumi tank.

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club

Tags
ada aquasoil, csq, eheim 2215, iwagumi