Selecting a mazzei for CO2 and closed loop filtration systems - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #181
Kyle H
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Very nice Do you only have one union on there?
I have two on either side of the pump. one before the mazzei and one after (not seen in the picture) so a total of four
Kyle H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #182
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)

Folks, unfortunately I think I'm going to give up on my mazzei. I'm fed up with trying to fine tune this system to get the right mist. I'm also tired of the issue of the mist when CO2 is off and frankly I don't think it is any more efficient than a plain old PVC reactor. Maybe others can get theirs to work great, but I don't want to have to tune this thing in every time I clean my filter and every time I change CO2 tanks. With the PVC reactor I just set it and forget it. Even if the growth is better with "misting" I can afford not to prune as much...if thats even possible with T5's?

I plan to put in a reactor right in place of the mazzei. Only thing that will be bad is that I will loose a lot of my flow through the reactor which won't get filtered. At least I have a big pump and lots of flow so I think a the loss will not be that big of a deal. I could plumb the reactor in after the filter, but I think there may be too much flow at 700 gph (flush all the CO2 out the bottom of the reactor before dissolved?) Suggestions welcomed.
I hope others have more success than me...maybe more patience

I also want to add that I found that debris from my filter inlet was getting lodged in the mazzei. Apparently some eco-complete got sucked in some how. I have also found small snails in the mazzei inlet. So it would be a good idea to somehow filter the water (at least with a sponge) before the mazzei. I think the clogged mazzei was most of the issue of loud noise and intermtent bubbling of CO2

Matt
helgymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #183
Kyle H
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
I also want to add that I found that debris from my filter inlet was getting lodged in the mazzei. Apparently some eco-complete got sucked in some how. I have also found small snails in the mazzei inlet. So it would be a good idea to somehow filter the water (at least with a sponge) before the mazzei. I think the clogged mazzei was most of the issue of loud noise and intermtent bubbling of CO2

Matt
I have also put a great deal of thought into my setup when it comes to keeping the mazzei from becoming clogged. all you can do is basically put a sponge and filter screen in the input of your system and hope for the best. also, using softer substrates like ADA aquasoil (which would dissolve if caught in an area of high flow) help so you don't have rocks of fluorite or eco complete from getting stuck in the mazzei. also you can back flush the system through the ocean clear filter this should dislodge anything that might be stuck in the plumbing. Tom Barr has been using this system with great success for awhile now so we know it can be done if the necessary precautions are made
Kyle H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #184
Coralite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
The Mazzei will outperform any needle wheel.
Yeah right! If that was the case then we would still have venturi skimmers running the majority of reef tanks. Nearly every new skimmer model in the last two years have been needle wheel designs.

Centrifugal pumps and needle wheel impellers are all over the map in terms of performance and quality. An eheim 1262 with an H&S NW impeller will produce much finer bubbles than all but the most perfectly driven mazzeis. But then again paying $300+ for a top-shelf, custom made needle wheel pump assembly is not as cost effective as using a mazzei.
Coralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #185
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

I cant wait for Eheims needle wheel to get to the US
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #186
Hover408
Algae Grower

wow ty for all the info here. this was my last adition i needed to make. now i think i got it!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #187
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

so are these things still worth our time?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #188
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Yes.
No.
Maybe so?

Tags
mazzei, plumbing