eheim 2217 help...please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
bendzuch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

eheim 2217 help...please

i have 2 eheim 2217 canister filters
using only one...
can i run both eheim 2217 in series-one intake and one spray bar???
Thanks

bendzuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
bendzuch
Algae Grower

anybody?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I would think so...
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Why would you even want to do that? If you want to play with pipes run a sump and valves and what not.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Please respect bendzuch.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3

Last edited by CPDzeke; 03-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: ____
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

If it is a large tank ,I would run both filter's.
If not,,I would run one, and when it became dirty,,swap it out for clean one.
If your gonna want the flow from two filter's,,you may as well fill em with mechanical media and get the benefit's of more particulates being caught.
If tank is home for large waste producing fish san's plant's,,then fill one with bio-media and the other with mechanical media.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you run both filters plumbed inline, only one of the motors can be on at a time. You will not double your flow by running them in tandem, but you will double your available media space. If you have a big tank and need the flow of two filters, you'll need to pipe them individually.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
sharonluvd
Algae Grower

I agree with two taco combo.. if you are trying to "daisy chain" the filters... your flow will not increase by running both filters. Just make sure that the filter closest to the outflow is the one that is powering the flow...

Although daisy-chaining 2 eheim 2217's is pretty expensive. Most people will usually get like a jaqno type prefilter canister.. so they can double media.. b/c the filter doesn't care where the inflow is coming from, as long as it's free flowing in and out...

If you are going the daisy chain route.. I would just sell your second 2217... and find a prefilter canister.

Also, I wouldn't use one as a backup to switch out back and forth.. to make cleaning easier.. it's not worth the cost in that aspect either.

Without knowing what you are using it for.. that's the only info.. I would suggest.

EDIT: if your tank is smaller than 60 gallons, heavily planted, or you have a filthy, filthy fish.. is there even a need for 2 filters?
sharonluvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you were to DIY a larger bore spray bar and tube which the two smaller ones are attached to it may work. But honestly, unless you're heavily over filtering a small tank there's no point. It's good to have two spray bars going. That allows you to keep the flow a little higher and more uniform through the tank. One option would be to have two intakes. One at each end. And just plumb both outputs into one large DIY spray bar that runs the length of the tank
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonluvd View Post
I agree with two taco combo.. if you are trying to "daisy chain" the filters... your flow will not increase by running both filters. Just make sure that the filter closest to the outflow is the one that is powering the flow...

Although daisy-chaining 2 eheim 2217's is pretty expensive. Most people will usually get like a jaqno type prefilter canister.. so they can double media.. b/c the filter doesn't care where the inflow is coming from, as long as it's free flowing in and out...

If you are going the daisy chain route.. I would just sell your second 2217... and find a prefilter canister.

Also, I wouldn't use one as a backup to switch out back and forth.. to make cleaning easier.. it's not worth the cost in that aspect either.

Without knowing what you are using it for.. that's the only info.. I would suggest.

EDIT: if your tank is smaller than 60 gallons, heavily planted, or you have a filthy, filthy fish.. is there even a need for 2 filters?
OP already has the two ehiem's.
How is using one as back up more costly?
Can buy cheap polyester for mechanical media and swap filter's out for Cleaning or have one as backup in case of failure.
Been doing so for a few year's now and have been pleased.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
bendzuch
Algae Grower

no i have only 35 gallon high tank.
i was thinking just double media-more media, more stable bacteria?
the second filter is just seating in closet so why not to use?
and i have problem with algae- if anybody know how to help please check my algae problem here... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...530&highlight=

thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
sharonluvd
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
OP already has the two ehiem's.
How is using one as back up more costly?
Can buy cheap polyester for mechanical media and swap filter's out for Cleaning or have one as backup in case of failure.
Been doing so for a few year's now and have been pleased.
As I said in my post I would suggest "sell the second 2217 and find a prefilter canister".. which you can probably get rid of (eheim 2217) for >100 especially if it's brand new.. and buying a prefilter canister that costs.. <50. I understood the OP, currently has 2, but was just a suggestion... why waste a perfectly good working unit that the OP can sell for more money to buy other things for their tank.

and seriously how often do eheim's fail? I have some that have been running 10+ yrs strong..
sharonluvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

A decently planted tank doesn't hardly need a filter, honestly. Unless you have goldfish or are overfeeding, all you really need is decent flow, but extra media space doesn't buy you a whole lot. Your plants should do most of the biological filtration...
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.