Easiest 10gal for college? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #31
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would go walmart 10G, 2 X 9W CFL 6500K, Filter of choice, heater, RCS, Java ferns, moss and some Black Diamond sand. Cheap and easy. Looks great.
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #32
fishfreak36
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicallyplanted View Post
I understand what you're saying. The reason for me wanting a tank is that I am SO use to having pets and a tank is the only thing i'll be allowed. I'm not set in stone that I want one, but I'm considering it.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
You should so do the 10 gallon, an aquarium in your room really is like having a living moving picture and would be an eyecatcher in the room. For plants go with Java Fern, Anubius and amazon swords, they are all low light and will give you a good variety. For fish I would go with neon tetras, they are a really good looking fish especially when put into schools of 6 or more.just remember 1 inch of fish equals one gallon of water, so you could have 10 fish that are 1 inch long or 5 two inch long fish and so on. For a filter I would go with a fluval aquaclear, they are cheap and when the sponge inside the filter starts getting ddirty you just squeeze it out in the sink and put it back in the filter. And as for gravel i would buy black gravel it really helps to make the colors of the fish and the plants POP. I hope you decide to follow through with the tank, and i hope this helps.
fishfreak36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #33
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
I had one of the single suites, it's as big if not a little bigger than the normal doubles
You're the luckiest person alive. I went to Florida Atlantic and had to suffer through the usual "4 dudes living in a closet" set up. That's awesome that you had that set up during school though, so jealous!
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #34
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The benefits of being an athlete man, they have an entire residence halls set aside for you!
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #35
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
The benefits of being an athlete man, they have an entire residence halls set aside for you!
What sport did you play at UF? I'm not sure how long ago you went but a good buddy of mine from high school played baseball there for the past 3-4 years, his name was Mike Zunino.
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #36
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

At first I wanted to recommend a bigger tank, as a 10 gallon doesn't allow much room for plants or aquascaping, especially after adding substrate.

Then the issues with frequent moves was pointed out...

So, yeah, maybe a 10 gallon or even smaller would be good for a dorm setup. Also, a tank that size or smaller can probably just be set on a desk/dresser, and won't need a dedicated stand like a larger tank may.

I had my first aquariums in college as well.

I'm thinking that the suggestions made above, a small shrimp tank, mostly moss, fern, and anubias might be pretty good. durable plants that don't require much, and they won't need a deep substrate either, so you won't loose as much room in your tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #37
lostraindrop
Algae Grower

I had a 10 gallon tank in college, and i still have it now after several years.

I did not have shrimps then but added RCS eventually which are very easy to care for. I had ghost shrimps then but they never lived past 5 months for me. I had and still have black mollies they are very easy to take care of (just watch out for ick and watch out for them making babies) I bought 3 and ended up with 20+. So now I have two tanks to separate males and females. Many have died since but its easy to breed more.
lostraindrop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
10gal, college, easy set ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.