Glass Cats
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Glass Cats

Today on my monthly LFS trip, i got 3 Glass cats! (i wanted 3 sterbai cory's but it would have cost me $30!) thing is i have no idea what sort of quirks they have, like PH range, temp, etc... I also got 3 ottos and 2 nerite snails as well

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

They do fine in the same water conditions as other store bought fish such as tetras and rasboras. They also tend to do better in groups of at least 6 and are not as shy in heavily planted tanks. If you have peaceful schooling fish, they will be more confident in feeding.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

We all give in to temptation occasionally, but--really--bad idea to buy a living creature without knowing how to care for it.

Biggest issue people generally run into with these is their shyness. They really do need to be in larger school (6+ minimum, a dozen or more would be better) to feel secure in a species only or very calm community tank and should be watched carefully to ensure they're getting adequate food. They do best with lower light levels, live foods and absolutely pristine water conditions. Between needing to ensure they're feeding well and a proclivity for bacterial infections, a quarantine tank is *highly* recommended. Otherwise, moderately soft water, neutral ph, the usual 70-80 degrees, with some sources recommending as high as 82.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
We all give in to temptation occasionally, but--really--bad idea to buy a living creature without knowing how to care for it.
My Question was a more like, what quirks do they have that i need to be concerned about, i didn't not know how to take care of them, i knew theyed eat flakes and such, however i didn't know that they were very shy. Also i don't know the best water temp for them, i like to keep my tanks at higher temps

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
kkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had 2 for several years. Hardy fish, eats flakes and bloodworms. Stays in the upper third of the tank. My experience, easy to take care of.
2 Glass Cats
1 Spotted Raphael Catfish
1 Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco

25G_Tank
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love glass cats! Although, I find them somewhat touchy during transport and acclimation.

I get mine from Petco/Petsmart since they have a good replacement policy. I find that when I buy a 4-6 of them that at 1 or 2 will die in 48 hours. The ones that survive are hardy and will live on. They also seem to have a better chance if I use my hand to gentle cup them one at a time instead of using the net to remove them from the bag.

They definitely do not like bright lighting, my group hides under a shaded area of driftwood all day until the lights go out. Then they are extremely active and all over the tank. They also love current in the tank.

If you can rig up a white moonlight to shine through the side of the tank when the main lights are off you can enjoy the iridescent sheen when the sidelight strike their bodies.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Ceri-rust
Algae Grower

I work in aquatics and I would usually recomend at least 5 in a group as they are shy, also a planted tank with slightly dim lighting, they cam also be sensitive to nitrite so as long as that's fine you should have no trouble
Ceri-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Mines like to hide in groups on the bottom. Feeding time though, theyre nuts. And they do come out during lights out, when I shined a flashlight in.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Mine so far are doing great! all three hang out near the bottom and harass the my rummynose's when they get close, they also went nuts for food yesterday, so far i'm a fan!

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
kochman
Algae Grower

i found that having some broad leave plants like swords help them to not be so shy... dont know why just what i have seen . I stoke tanks for people all the time and this is a very popular fish. I will say this, even in large shoals they will pretty much just stay motionless. I think they are cool to look at but they arent a fish you are going to see darting around the tank
kochman is offline   Reply With Quote