Sick Ram
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
mgumaer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sick Ram

I have a blue ram that has bumps on her head that appear to have open white sores (see attached pictures). Any idea what, if anything, I can do for her? I've tried some KanaPlex without apparent success.

She is still eating and behaving normally but I can't imagine that lasting much longer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	99018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	99026  

mgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
thenameless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgumaer View Post
I have a blue ram that has bumps on her head that appear to have open white sores (see attached pictures). Any idea what, if anything, I can do for her? I've tried some KanaPlex without apparent success.

She is still eating and behaving normally but I can't imagine that lasting much longer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
not sure what it can be, but i would get her out of the tank immediately. you don't want any other wish to get it!!!
Member:Eheim Pimp Club Member #497 Classic 2213
My Kribensis fry thread
Apistogramma agassizi breeding
LOST DISCIPLE a lil song for everybody who enjoys nature
thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

any type of bump that appears quickly would be a bacterial infection. The white sores look like a pimple almost?

What are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite.etc

Start doing daily water changes, vacuum the bottom.

Pick up melafix, that helps with bacterial infections, and sores... They are usually the best form of medication for rams with bacterial infection because they don't do well with antibiotics etc..
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
mgumaer
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. PH is high 7s, not necessarily ideal for Rams. Ammonia and nitrite I'm assuming are zero as the tank has long been cycled and I'm good about water changes (20 gallons a week in an 75). Tough to vacuum the gravel effectively because of the number of plants though.

Thinking about setting up a hospital tank since just this one fish is showing signs of problems.

Matt
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

Probably another case of Microbacterium marinum or commonly known as TB. Is generally not treatable. The same drugs for treating human TB can be effective on fish. It can transmit to human through open wound or cut in your hands and manifest in the form of nodules around the cut. The symptom may take 2 to 4 weeks to surface. Most of the time your immune system will take care of it. In rare cases, if the infection is deep in the tissue, surgery will be required to cut off the infected area if drug treatments are ineffective.

This is what the book said-quote

HEXAMITA
a parasitic disease primarily of cichlid fish, some authorities consider that most, if not all aquqrium cichlids are infected. the parasites are readily transmitted from cichlid to cichlid.
SIGNS
White stringy Poop, sometimes also but not always,accompanied by enlargement of the sensory pores of the head, which usually also become filled with whitish pus.
Dark colorization and loss of appetite are common in advanced cases.
Both emancipation and distended body have been reported
CAUSE
These weakly pathogenic parasites are commonly found in small numbers in the intestines of cichlids, where they do no apparent harm under normal circumstances.
If however the fish is weakened (e.g. disease,stress,environmental problem) the parasites multiply and migrate through the fishes system.If (and only if)they reach the sensory pores do the characteristic pus filled holes develop
Death occurs if a vital organ is invaded and fatally damaged.
Many mystery deaths of cichlids may be due to hexamita infestations where the sensory pores have remained unaffected.

As i have already said, i had not come across this disease before but i was amazed to find the exact symptoms that i had with my rams.I am sure the medication has worked for me and i will continue to use it , i also went and bought the book.

With all that being said, I would get that fish out ASAP. I would also recommend putting in something that the fish can hide in (flower pot), because once moved he\she will be stressed.

I would use garlic to feed them to help with the immune system. And look into a few things. What you will expect to see once this has completed is the following..

The bump we will call it a pimple. Once it pops it will eave a giant hole in the head, and the parasite or badness in that bump will go all around the tank and infect.

When you take him out, use another net (you do not want to cross contaminate the net)

I would look for an antibacterial thing, in the meantime - I would dose your tank with Melafix (that will help kill bacteria, and might help - I noticed when I used this for other type of bacterial infections it would clear up in a day or so) but if this is fish tb, strong chance the fish will die.

You also need to bring that PH down! 7.5+ is BAD!!! I used to keep my PH around 6.8-6.9 for my rams, and noticed they didnt live past 3-4 month range. Since I lowered my PH to about 6.2-6.3 i have yet to have a RAM death.

Water changes and water changes! and vaccum as much as you can. Do a test on the water and report back with your parameters! This will be an imporant thing, because if the water quality is bad, this could be the #1 reason why he\she looks like that.

I apologize about the he/she - i was not paying attention to the fish's sex. From what I recall it was a female.
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
mgumaer
Algae Grower

Thanks for the detailed information. Not sure I can't my ph down too much without RO water. I used to use it before I moved relatively recently but don't have an RO set up in the new house. Been toying with getting one. My plants seem to like the harder water somewhat better but the dwarf cichlids don't. Thanks again.