my first time with real plants, what is this growth on my moss?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my first time with real plants, what is this growth on my moss?

hey all!

i shouldnt say "first time with plants" as its also my first time with a tank. about 4 weeks in.

here is the picture, ill keep this short and sweet.

what is going on, on the right side? this is Fissidens Fontanus moss, its finally after 3 weeks starting to show promise, this is just one of my many patches. but im unsure of this growth, im in the middle of my cycle, if thats helpful info. should i trim that patch off on the right side?

also, im developing brown spots on some of my patches, with ALOT of new growth developing, i run a bare bones system.

i think my lighting schedule must have something to do with the brown spots, as i go to work at 6am, so the lights in the tank, go on at 6 am, and they are on until 9pm-10pm.

temp in the tank is 76 degrees or so, ammonia is 0 nitrite and nitrate is HIGH
CanuckGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm not sure exactly what type of algae it is but my first alarm would be your light schedule. If I read that correctly, you said it's 6AM-9/10PM? That's 15 hours of light a day which will gladly open the door for algae and HOLD it open to allow everyone else to come join the party!

Are you running CO2 whether it be DIY or pressurized?

First step I would recommend is invest in a timer for the light and reduce your photo period to around 8 hours per day. I just picked up a timer at Home Depot for about $6!

While you're at home depot maybe pick up some 1/4" airline for $2 and fashion up a nice DIY CO2 system!

This is the refernce video I used for mine and it has done wonders for algae prevention and the growth of my plants!

Granted I'm no expert when it comes to aquariums but I hope this at least helps you out a little bit
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 on the timer suggestion... you will battle algae until you have your lights on a timer and can consistently control your light period (and make any adjustments which require turning lights on/off when you can't be home).

Stuff on the moss looks like diatoms... some of which comes with being a relatively new tank but the excess light isn't helping. Bringing your nitrates down is would probably be a good idea as well.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

i am not sure how to bring my nitrates down, that just happens naturally during a cycle right?

ok i will go out today and buy a timer, what time should i set it to come on and go off every day? i work 6-2 most days is 12 hours a day still too much? say 9am-9pm?

and will this growth go away on its own with corrected light schedule, and once my cycle figures itself out? the moss on the driftwood was very expensive i paid like 80 bucks for 6 pads haha... plus shipping, so i hope it becomes healthy.

i have a 45 gal aquarium, will that DIY CO2 system be sufficient enough? i have 3 amazon swords, and my moss for plants. if i get a couple more opinions i will definitly build that c02 system this weekend.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default my first time with real plants, what is this growth on my moss?

To get your nitrates down do water changes. The sign of nitrite being in there means your cycle isn't complete yet but is close. And how high are you talking
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Cardoc
Algae Grower

12 Hours might be too much depending on what kind of lights you have, start with 8-10 hours of light and see how everything does. You can use diy Co2 on your 45g but it wont be the most effective, But some Co2 is better than none. I used Diy Co2 on my 55g for 6 months until I saved up money for Pressurized Co2.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

thanks guys.

so what about my moss? so basically, if i change my light schedule. and once my cycles done, you say this growth should go away?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, diatoms are typical to a new cycle, so after the tank matures and you adjust lighting it should go away. You can also just rub it off with your fingers. If you want the light on more when you are home, you can set up a break in the middle of the day to help with that.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
smiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have an established tank with no real algae issues and I can't even show moss to my water without getting algae on it.