PAR readings and different length fixtures
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
LarionOak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default PAR readings and different length fixtures

I think this question applies to PAR and linear light fixtures in general so I'm posting in this lighting forum, although I'm using the Finnex Ray II fixtures as an example. I'm hoping this question will be of general use to everyone.

I have a standard 55 gallon tank measuring 48" wide x 12" deep x 21" high. I'm thinking about buying the Finnex Ray II DS, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy 2 24" fixtures or 1 48" fixture.

For the 24" fixtures, the manufacturer states that at a depth of 18" with the fixture 3" above the surface of the water, the PAR reading is 37.

For the 48" fixture, the manufacturer states that at a depth of 18" with the fixture 3" above the surface of the water, the PAR reading is 66.

If I get 2 24" fixtures, what will be the PAR reading at a depth of 18" with the fixture 3" above the surface of the water? is it simply 37 x 2 = 74?

For maximum PAR, would you recommend 2 24" fixtures or 1 48" fixture?

thanks in advance everyone...this is a great resource!
LarionOak is offline   Reply With Quote