46 Gallon Bow Front SA Tropical Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
46 Gallon Bow Front SA Tropical Planted

It's been over four years since I set up my last aquarium, and since then my Dad has taken over the hobby. He had some discus and other cichlids in a couple of 46 gallon bow fronts, but has quit the hobby after his heater went on the fritz and killed his expensive discus tank... so guess who got his setups for free?

Starting off, I'm doing a 46 gallon bow front.. already starting the plants and a few fish, and I am even considering doing discus again!

Here's my list--

Fauna:
8x Rummynose Tetra
2x German Blue Ram (paired)
7x Spotfin Corys

Flora:
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Pygmy Chain Sword
Anubias Nana

Equipment:
Lighting: 1x Catalina Aquarium T5HO
Filtration: Fluval 405
CO2: Pressurized + inline diffusion
Substrate: Gravel + Eco Complete
Fertilization: Flourish + Root Tabs

I plan on grabbing some Cardinal tetras (8-10) this weekend, along with a few more plants (vals, crypts,.. I have a whole list haha). The discus won't go in for a while, since I'm still not even sure if I'm going to add them. If my calculations are correct, I'd be just slightly overstocked with my list + cardinals + 4 discus... which would be compensated by the extra filtration (Fluval 405 on a 46 gallon) and the plants.

Since I hope to add discus if my budget allows me, I am planning my fish/plants for the higher temperature the discus prefer. I plan to heavily plant and provide plenty of hiding space for the Rams and other fish.

I'm gonna upload pictures soon! (once I get more plants, hopefully!)

Last edited by Cyanider; 03-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Updates
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are the first few photos. The Ram pictures contain a decoration prop I had initially. I'm working on getting a larger piece of driftwood as a "centerpiece"

Female Ram

Both Rams hanging out

Pictured plants: Anubias Nana (center attached to wood), Java Fern (right), Chain Swords (bottoms - you can see the tops)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

Full tank shot after adding my first set of plants and before the black background. Weird seeing the difference!

Right half after changing the background and substrate
Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update:

So, finally got around to rescaping a bit and purchased a few new plants! Here's the updated list of plants (from back left clockwise to front left):

Myriophyllum simulans
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Peruensis
Alternathera Reineckii (in front of the Ludwigia... looking at it now I should probably move one of them for more contrast)
Star Grass
Gayi
Anubias Nana (on the driftwood)
Limnophila repens 'mini'
Dwarf Chain Sword
Dwarf Baby Tears (HC)

For fish, I've added 12 Cardinal Tetra and 4 more Rummynose.

For equipment, I've finally hooked up my pressurized CO2 setup currently running through that ugly makeshift diffuser on the left (cheap inline hooked to a powerhead). That green inline I got for free and it's too small for my Fluval 405, and the other inline (UP Aqua Atomizer) happened to be too small too, and a new one is in the mail. Still working out the proper co2 dosage, as you can tell there's quite a few bubbles in the water so I turned it down a bit.

I'm also considering throwing my old T8 light on as well to give some extra light during the day, to promote growth.

Here's a pic! I'm going to wait until night time to take better ones, since the bow front is so reflective haha.

Any suggestions/advice?

Last edited by Cyanider; 03-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: added plant