Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Photoshop is great to aide in explaining ideas, but it can never replace working with the actual stones. It doesn't, for example, take into account how deep some of the stones were buried and whether they would actually work in the position shown.

I think you're doing the best thing by just working it, stepping back or away for a period and coming back to it. If you're not going for the mountain look though, you might consider breaking up those stones or exchanging them for something of a smaller scale.

If you have a chance, you might look through the different tanks from the link Kathyy posted to see if there's one with the feeling or general idea of what you are hoping to accomplish. It would be easier then for us to make suggestions.

Looking forward to seeing the future pics/ideas!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #32
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice

After a bunch of pre planning I've attempted 2.5 more layouts involving the wood and 3 smaller stones. (No massive 1.5 man boulder)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362274118.808062.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	97402

The first one doesn't work at all IMO.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362274161.196721.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	97410

The second one has promise. Nice and simple, everything is sort of angled along with the tree in a right to left water direction, but I felt the middle stone was too far out. (1/2 that stone is buried btw)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362274185.428980.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	97418

The 3rd one is an attempt at bringing that middle stone tighter to the center stone to support it better. I added 3/4 bag substrate to cover it all better and make a mound. I still have 1 bag left but I don't think I'll need it.

The tree is sitting pretty high so I'll see about lowering it. There's something still not right about the 3 stones.. I think it's the center stone sitting too high. And the mound is looking really tall.. Almost half the tank height.

I'm going to let the last one sit for a bit to see how I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #33
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Angels going into the tank? Agree, a mountain scape would be jarring to say the least. There was a really nice mountain range type scape posted here a while back but then discus were added. Looked like a scene from a 1950s science fiction movie.

What plants are you going to use in this tank? I know it is old school but angels and tall long leaved plants and larger scaled wood that looks like stumps and roots look great together, not rocks so much. That nice stump is very small scale to use with large fish and they sure wouldn't be swimming gracefully through its twigs.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #34
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Of all the pictures I really like the last one on post #32. I would move the tree out a bit to the left so that the branches occupy some of the open space on the left side of the tank. IMO, the 3 rocks look great as is, but those rocks on the left side look like they were just tossed in there to occupy that space. Maybe add a medium sized rock right there and move the tiny ones you have to the side of it to complement? Good luck! I like your progress so far!
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #35
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Angels going into the tank? Agree, a mountain scape would be jarring to say the least. There was a really nice mountain range type scape posted here a while back but then discus were added. Looked like a scene from a 1950s science fiction movie.

What plants are you going to use in this tank? I know it is old school but angels and tall long leaved plants and larger scaled wood that looks like stumps and roots look great together, not rocks so much. That nice stump is very small scale to use with large fish and they sure wouldn't be swimming gracefully through its twigs.
LOL I can totally see that. Not set on anything yet but I had Angels as a kid and I have a soft spot for them. More then likely I'll do small schooling fish with a pair of "something" interesting that is a bit larger but wont grow as big as Angels. Good point on the small branches. Unsure about plants yet but most likely a DHG carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
Of all the pictures I really like the last one on post #32. I would move the tree out a bit to the left so that the branches occupy some of the open space on the left side of the tank. IMO, the 3 rocks look great as is, but those rocks on the left side look like they were just tossed in there to occupy that space. Maybe add a medium sized rock right there and move the tiny ones you have to the side of it to complement? Good luck! I like your progress so far!
You nailed it on adding a smaller rock to the left. I added one with lots of slop and character and that seems to tie it together really well.

Made some more adjustments.. There's no way to get that tree down any lower.. one of the branches is actually resting on the back glass lol. I'm concerned that if it move it to the left more it will be centered or I'll have the same problem as before where there was 2 focal points.

Played with the center stone a bit.. What a difference using the smaller stones makes, looking back at the first pics and the tank looked so much smaller because of the volume of rock. Looked more like a 60p with all that rock.

I'm actually quite happy with the current look but something about the right is still bothering me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-02 19.19.21.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	97498  

Last edited by alkatraz; 03-03-2013 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: updated
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #36
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice

*buzz buzz* the left side still looks funny. Maybe have that rock point the other way towards the right side? Or break it? Possibly turn the rock and play with it in different positions? *giggle* It's because the middle rock is pointing to the left along with the rock on the left side. It gives me the feeling of tipping over to the left (if that makes any sense).

The right side looks good as is since you don't want to move the driftwood. Leave the right side and the slope how it is. It gives the tank depth.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #37
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post

This is something that I'm already beginning to appreciate, you can build a scape that you really like visually and then add fish that hate it because it's unsuited for their natures, you can build one that takes into account both or you can build a scape around your fish.

Laying out scapes is good, but I think you have to consider the fish that your planning on stocking it with and build with an eye towards the fact that this is where you are placing them to live out the rest of their lives.

That said I really like the fact that you kept that piece of driftwood and I like the placement of it up against the stone that is just slightly less high than it. I also like the front right stone's top being level with the upper ground giving the right front side the look of a cliff face.

Last edited by Kudaria; 03-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: more commentary
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is the best one yet! Try letting the soil in the back go straight into the back right corner (instead of sloping down into that corner).

Could also see the soil level in the left back corner coming up a little behind the stone and into the corner. Maybe move the little rock in the back on the left somewhere else as I think it would get lost in the back plantings.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #39
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I agree that is the best one yet, about that stone in the bottom right, it has a harsh awkward surface facing that way, maybe try a different position? Or another rock?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #40
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

The last one looks the best IMHO, the slope will be hard to maintain. You can achieve the same visual hill effect with flat substrate and plants like blyxa.

You might also be overthinking it a bit. If I cannot get it to my liking in 15mins I let it be for a day, then come back, pull everything out and dump it back. If it comes from the heart and not the head it will "feel right". Easier said then done.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #41
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Not bad, but the rock on the left is way to big and distracting (especially with the crevice running along the top.) I would remove that. All you really need IMO is a rock to the left near the branches pushed in some and then some smaller rocks randomly downhill and toward the left side. This will also help maintain the slope.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #42
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 with smaller rocks. I was thinking about medium sized rocks. Maybe about half of that rock that's there now (bottom left side) and some smaller rocks.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #43
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

I would move the tree so that it is in front of the big stone pointing to the left. I also would reduce the amount of substrate in the right corner just mound it up a little bit. If you do decide not to use the tree I would be willing to buy it from you. Where did you get it from I want one.
starfire12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #44
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire12 View Post
I would move the tree so that it is in front of the big stone pointing to the left. I also would reduce the amount of substrate in the right corner just mound it up a little bit. If you do decide not to use the tree I would be willing to buy it from you. Where did you get it from I want one.
Manzanita wood. Comes in plain sticks or very branchy pieces like that one.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #45
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

I knew what type of wood it was, I was wondering where you bought it from.
starfire12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.