Native Planted biotope thread (Houston, Texas) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #16
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have caught Fundulus Chrysotus (what I planned for the main attraction for the tank), Fundulus Notatus, Scaly Sand Darter, and Pygmy Banded sunfsh all at the local spots we will be collecting at. The Notatus are just BIG (like 3-4"), the scaly sand darters would do well in a swift water tank as they love to dart into and out of the sand, and the Pygmy perch are way cool, but sooo tough to feed. I only managed to keep mine alive in a cherry breeding tank and they never took any food (shrimplets galore) so I imagine they would starve in that tank unless the Gammarus start reproducing like mad. They are so small they would just hide all the time and the kids would probably prefer to see something with a bit more Pizazz. Thinking about some Texas shiners (Notropis Amabilis) though, as I caught some in a nearby creek...
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #17
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think Fundulus Chrysotus as the main attraction would be great!

It seems like the hornwort I collected and the hornwort I got from you look entirely different in shape. The one I collected looks like the one in this link. The one I got from you looks more spread apart? It's not clumped up together like the one in the link.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #18
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, it does sooo much better under real sun and light. I've never been able to get it like that in my tanks, it just starts getting leggy and does not have the same effect. Maybe a higher wattage light and longer photoperiod? I really like the look of the Golden Topminnow and they adapt well to aquarium life, even taking regular flake and pellets. They are all over in a small creek I know of and catching 20-30 adults is not hard so we should be able to sex them prior to introduction in the tank and can always get more if anything unfortunate happens. I imagine their spawning colors would look terrific!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #19
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the colors on those topminnows! Spawning colors would just be amazing and could easily become the main attraction over Fundulus Chrysotus.

All this talk about natives makes me want to get a native tank started with native plants and small fish. Maybe even some native substrate lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome thread. I spent my entire childhood trouncing around spring creek. Good times.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Native Planted biotope thread (Houston, Texas)

Lol I've spent most of my childhood around fish, saltwater fishing, and catching random stuff in the bayou by my house. There used to be some really cool and colorful species you could find there before... Well when people happened lol. Polluting killed or chased off all the cool stuff. Now all we seem to have is non native gambusia, red ear sliders, crawfish, and tadpoles.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 to trouncing around in the woods while I was a kid. My time was on Caney Creek and Peach Creek. Glad you like the thread and I figured it might be a nice thread to collect some information on a native planted tank for anyone in our area or elsewhere.

I am seriously considering doing a native sand substrate collected from the creek itself. Our Fahaka tank is densely planted and uses PFS for substrate, so I think its doable with root tabs and water change dosing.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fascinating idea and look forward to seeing how things progress. Subscribed
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
I am seriously considering doing a native sand substrate collected from the creek itself. Our Fahaka tank is densely planted and uses PFS for substrate, so I think its doable with root tabs and water change dosing.
Have you considered doing the Walstad method, maybe using potting soil under the collected sand in lieu of dosing? It would work well, imho with small monthly water changes and low-light plants. Keeps the algae in check too.

Good luck with the setup whichever direction you choose... it's a great idea!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Saxtonhill!

Bluestems, I have attempted a few Walstad type setups. I have to be honest though, they have always been more trouble then I like. I usually deter anyone from topping substrate as it can become a mess very quickly. With a 20 gallon the 2 bottles of Seachem will last for quite awhile and will allow me to move/attempt different arangements without the tank become a cloudy mess. I had even considered topping eco-complete with the sand, but it will eventually get mixed up and impossible to keep stratisfied. Thanks for the ideas and I am looking forward to doing some legwork shortle to get this up and running!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #26
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
Thanks Saxtonhill!

Bluestems, I have attempted a few Walstad type setups. I have to be honest though, they have always been more trouble then I like. I usually deter anyone from topping substrate as it can become a mess very quickly. With a 20 gallon the 2 bottles of Seachem will last for quite awhile and will allow me to move/attempt different arangements without the tank become a cloudy mess. I had even considered topping eco-complete with the sand, but it will eventually get mixed up and impossible to keep stratisfied. Thanks for the ideas and I am looking forward to doing some legwork shortle to get this up and running!
I've used the method for several tanks, including a 10g and a 75g elementary school tanks and it is more challenging to rearrange things. It's best to plan it out and let it be. I was able to move some things around by carefully and slowly pulling out the plantings, but there was always a small cloud of substrate that would come through but eventually settled and was fine. Honestly, the method works better the more you just leave it alone.

Good luck with your setup!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know if this will work or even help, but the thought just popped in my head. If you were to cap off the eco complete with sand, you can use the cross stitching grid with the smaller size (I think it was 5?) and lay it on top of the soil and then cap it off? In my mind it sounds like it'll keep the two mostly separate and I haven't read (haven't looked it up yet lol) or heard anyone of even attempting this.

But I'm with you. I don't like capping off anything because I always move around my plants. As they grow, I tend to find visually "better" spots for them. I don't know of the Walstad method, but I've heard of it quite a number of times recently. I've only tried the "nooby" method (lmao) and DSM right now.

What's the nature center called? I don't travel up north side that often (at least not 45 area).
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm, I have used that grid stuff for moss walls and have 5 or 6 sheets laying around though not sure if the better half has anything planned for it, lol. I suppose that could work, I use a similar technique in the dart frog vivariums except using window screen instead.

I'm always up for trying new ideas, especially in my own tanks. There always seems to be some new idea that I'm interested in trying out... I have been eyeballing those Bunocephalus on the B/S/T forum and interested in how workable they might be in my Sulawesi biotope once we upgrade it. Those Sulawesi plants seem hard to come by... might have to get Homeless Aquatics on that when he orders more shrimp

Here is the website for the place, its just around the corner from my place.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
pedropete
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

is the tank going to be at jesse jones park? i'm a teacher, and we do service learning projects there. i've taken kids kayaking up and down spring creek there, too. cool tank idea!
pedropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #30
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

It will actually be at the Spring Creek Greenway, which is over on Riley Fuzzel near Rayford (where it passes over Spring Creek). I have been over to Jesse Jones and love the plant sales at Mercer Arboritum. Thanks for enjoying the tank idea and I'll let everyone know how it goes, I'll be sure and take a lot of pics for certain

Tags
biotope, houston, killifish, native, texas