Moonlight disadvantage?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Moonlight disadvantage?

Last night when looking at animals in my moonlit tanks I wondered...

Maybe some of them are less active during the day because they can enjoy their nocturnal activities all night long. While in a totally dark tank they wouldn't see anything and just have to wait until the next day?

Prime example is my Bamboo shrimp. The one I had before (moonlight) was more active, roaming around in the tank at least once in a while. The one I have now does that in the moonlight, and hides during the day (or sits at its fav spot at the HOB outflow).

I suspect Otos are another example of this.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Try moving the light so that only a portion (say 1/2) is lit. If fish can change the lighting by moving to the other side they might be happier.

When I had a single LED moonlight about the only thing that happened is that the angels would hunt any fish at the surface...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Keck
Planted Tank Obsessed

My fish don’t seem to care. They start going to sleep around the same time every night…before the main lights even turn off.

I have a single moon light on one side of the tank. Only fish active at that time is my Betta.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I am using LEDs that only shine a fairly narrow ray of light into the tank. It's not like the tanks are lit up evenly... just reminescent of a scene from an alien obduction
Old 04-21-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Maybe put the moonlight on a timer that you can pop on whenever you are up late and want to watch the late late show. I usually leave mine off except for a couple of hours at night before I crash. Because running 24/7 doesn't seem natural to me.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Maybe put the moonlight on a timer that you can pop on whenever you are up late and want to watch the late late show.
But... that doesn't seem very natural either

Maybe outfitting all moonlights with timers would help. Running them like after lights off for two hours.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
But... that doesn't seem very natural either

Maybe outfitting all moonlights with timers would help. Running them like after lights off for two hours.

Yeah, thats kind of what I meant, except I put a little lighted on off switch into the GFI so I can just easily turn them on when I want to without bending over and opening the stand doors etc. Easier on me aching back. But you could use the timer with the manual turn on deal the same way. I'm going to put the moonlights of a new Current fixture I bought on a timer too, so its AUTOMATIC. LOL

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Bombay
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use mine to pre-empt (is that the right word) my regular lighting. I have it on a timer to come on 30 mins before "lights on" and then off. Then at night, I have it come on a few minutes before lights out, and leave it on for another 30 mins or so...just for my viewing pleasure. I am not sure the moonlight actually benefits anyone in the tank. Afterall, they really don't need to hunt for anything...nor are they prey for anything. And I am not sure about fishes eyesight, but I imagine that some can see very well in the dark...and some not so. I feed all of mine carrots just in case. (JJ)
Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
Bombay
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wasserpest:
I happen to be checking out Current-USA's site and found the following blurb about moonlights. Thought it was interesting and then I remembered this post.

Viewing Around the Clock
Built-in Moon White Lunar Light completes the 24-hour lighting cycle, providing rhythmic moon luminance for increased spawning and reproduction. The Moon White Lunar Light casts a crisp moon glow for optimum nocturnal simulation and nighttime viewing.

Who knew?

So then just for kicks i checked out Coralife's site. Again, same basic info.

Our state-of-the-art 'wide-coverage' Aqualight Plus compact fluorescent light fixtures incorporate the Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED 470nm light which creates rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects while promoting spawning cycles in corals and reef life. Backed by the proven quality of the Aqualight product line, these superb lighting fixtures allow you to Capture the Sun and now...the Moon.
Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 04:28 AM   #10
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (125/100%)

hmm supposedly it shouldnt have any ill effects

I have used moonlights for a while now, plecos are just as active with or without, synodontis catfish doesnt seem to care, bettas dont seem to care either

the only thing that seemed to feel the difference is my oil catfish (Tatia perugiae) it seems to dash across areas that are illuminated by the moonlight
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #11
Joetee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I currently have two blue bulbs mounted in my hood that I can turn on or off or change to a red bulb as well. When I turn off the lights, I can turn on the blue lights then my African Brown Knife comes out and swims all night.
Joetee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #12
Joetee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I nearly forgot, the blue/red lights bulbs (20 watts I think) do put out a lot of heat so you will need to ventilate.
Joetee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Fishtrap
Algae Grower

I run mine 24/7 and nobody seems to know the difference.
Fishtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
snowy
Algae Grower

I have a 6w fluro affixed to the ceiling, next to a 150w metal halide pendant. It comes on for an hour before and for two hours after the MH switches on and off. I have a lot of catfish, mostly Brochis and Corydoras, plus some Hypancistrus & Synodontis and Glass Cats, they all become particularly active when the night light is on. I also added it to help a group of Chalceus settle, as they tend to get a bit flighty when the lights go out. I've also noticed the Pantadon butterfly seems a bit more active and redily takes food under the moon light.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.