how long to leave lights on? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-04-2006, 04:26 AM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

BBA almost always means too little CO2 or CO2 that fluctuates too much. The light speeds up the growth of algae just as it does plants.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #17
jsenske
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hoppy is dead on with that about BBA. Crank up the CO2 and maybe try an every 3-5 days water change for about 2 weeks. ALSO-- 2 times the suggested dose of SeaChem EXCEL for a week or so (and hitting it really hard after water changes) has worked very well for expediting the departure of BBA-type algae.

Lighting-wise, I have alwayd done the 9-10 hours continuous without issue.
jsenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #18
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)

A 15 amp digital timer is a cheap but wise investment at your local home improvement store. It will allow you to occasionally sleep in and find the best light duration for your conditions.....DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbreeze
I typically turn on my lights in the morning when i wake up and shut them off when i go to bed. This means they are on for as much as 14 hours a day (though often less).

Should I be turning them off earlier in the evening? Am i possibly harming my fish? There are plenty of plants for them to hide under and a "cave" as well, so I figured it couldnt be too bad for them.

I have very little algae growth and 3 otos so i thought leaving the light on would be good for them at least (i give them algae wafers as well, however.)

my plants and fish all seem healthy. nitrates ~10ppm.
DiabloCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #19
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds11375
Ok tks Hoppy. I'll try to increase it slowly. I'm just getting ove a bout off BBA. Something in my tank is out of whack and I'm still trying to figure out what it is.

Dan
A 55 AHS on a 15G is a lot of light. So you might be better off in the ~ 8 hour area. I have an AHS 55 watt on a 26 bow and use to have some AHS 36watts on a 15 gallon and a 10 gallon and those were plenty.

I tend to run an ~ 9 hour photoperiod from 1pm to 10pm on my two main tanks. Works pretty well for me so I can see the fish when I get home after 7PM. But I manually turn them on for about 45 minutes in the morning for a fish feed - before I go to work.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
rrguymon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I run my lights 9 hours. They are on a timer. Works great.

Rick