Temperate Rainforest - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaria View Post
Alright I did a bit of work on this tank tonight. Everything for it hasn't come in yet but a few things did, namely the fissidens and bacopa australis. I'm expecting in a few more plants - Blyxa Japonica, Crypt Green Gecko, Hygrophila 'Tiger', Limnophila Aromatica, and a small bit of mini pellia and notocyphus lutescens mosses.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what to do with the marimo balls...can you cut those and place them upon a rock?

If you are recreating a temperate forest, focus on low growing plants. You can successfully recreate an aquascape without any tall background plants, which you can see in many Iwagumi scapes. I think a minimum for a species of plant in a tank is around 4-5. In nature, you see plants in large groups with the same species, instead of numerous species of plants jumbled together. The picture I have posted is a tree in a temperate forest environment. I think you should place your Blyxa Japonica right next to the "roots" of your driftwood to replicate a fern in a temperate forest. And I would surround and attach low growing mosses and plants to the driftwood.

My changes I would make-
I think you should buy a more darker wood, such as Malaysian driftwood, which is available in almost all lfs. The wood you bought just seems to light in comparison to your slate, plants, and rocks.
Attached Images

I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Interestingly enough I believe both pieces are mopani wood, the one on the ground is just all burly heartwood. If you look very closely its the same color as the protruding root from the stump. That said I agree its light colored but cost is getting to be a factor. I've spent almost 150 on plants already and am not that interested in purchasing much more for the tank. Instead I think I'll wait and as I can move more moss over to the stump until its almost fully covered.

As for your suggestion of where to put the Blyxa Japonica is a good one even if I do have to replant some.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaria View Post
Interestingly enough I believe both pieces are mopani wood, the one on the ground is just all burly heartwood. If you look very closely its the same color as the protruding root from the stump. That said I agree its light colored but cost is getting to be a factor. I've spent almost 150 on plants already and am not that interested in purchasing much more for the tank. Instead I think I'll wait and as I can move more moss over to the stump until its almost fully covered.

As for your suggestion of where to put the Blyxa Japonica is a good one even if I do have to replant some.
I have 2 pieces of Malaysian dirftwood I'm willing to give for free if you pay for shipping. You can pick one out of the photos I've posted. I'm not sure of the shipping fees as I have never really packaged and sold items and I'm pretty busy at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysian Driftwood.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	97314  

Name:	Malaysian Driftwood2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	97322  

Name:	Malaysian Driftwood3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	97330  

I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Kudaria
Planted Member

While the last piece of driftwood you offered looks nice and I really appreciate the thought and kind gesture I think I'll have to pass on the offer. The moss on the stump is superglued on so it's not coming off and as I mentioned my plan was to eventually almost completely cover that stump. The other reason is my significant other likes the lighter color in the tank and doesn't want to get rid of it

For now my thoughts about this tank revolve around creating a space where I can have 18 or so very small fish like chili rasoba and microdevario kubotai, and provide places for young shrimp to stay out of their sight until they get big enough for the fish to leave them alone.

I'm planning on feeding the fish Repashy foods so they will be used to grazing feeding thats always available. I'm hoping that will deter some predatory behavior, but I'm not anticipating it taking care of all of it. I have two cats, one male one female, the male would probably leave the fish alone if I accidentally left the lid up...the female would promptly turn into a serial fish killer. Both are certainly not hungry.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

moss grown all over the stump would look great.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Mopani and manzanita, unless they come seasoned from an existing tank, will look very light at first, but both will darken significantly overtime.

The piece in my 3g pico started out as bright as yours, but six months down the road it's almost as dark as the malaysian wood in my other tanks.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Kudaria
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Mopani and manzanita, unless they come seasoned from an existing tank, will look very light at first, but both will darken significantly overtime.

The piece in my 3g pico started out as bright as yours, but six months down the road it's almost as dark as the malaysian wood in my other tanks.
LOL considering that she likes the lightness of it I suspect I just wont mention that Its good to know however that it will darken over time.

Anyway I got in most of the plants that I ordered and put them in the tank.

Hopefully the mosses will lighten up a bit over time? I'm seeing alot less variation in greens than I had hoped. And yes I cut the marimo balls in half...which was an interesting experience. I had thought they might be hollow but it was algae all the way though it. How the algae in the middle stays green and healthy I have no idea.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
Kudaria
Planted Member

Oh this is the current list of plants in the tank:

Mosses: Christmas Moss; Fissidens fontanus; Mini Pellia; Notocyphus lutescens; (expecting Subwassertang today)

Stem and Crypts: Bacopa australis; Blyxa Japonica; Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'; Hygrophila 'Tiger'; Limnophila Aromatica

Of course at this point I'm trying to figure out what to do with the subwassertang...maybe I'll put it on the stump or I'll take some fissidens off one rock and use it on the stump and put the subwassertang on the rock...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
evilhorde
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you have the time, you can grow your own moss from dried and bagged peat moss.
I have a tank with a peatmoss and sand substrate that rises out of the water. after a month or so I have new moss sprouting all over the place.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote