Opinions for substrate boarders/retainers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
hlaalu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Opinions for substrate boarders/retainers

I'm getting ready to dust the cobwebs off some of my larger tanks and started brain storming for my scape. I'd like to do a large hill in the back and have part of the front a sandy area. To divide the sand and my other substrate I was thinking about these options.

First, using a flexible plastic. I would coat this plastic in an aquarium safe silicon and then pour sand over it, kind of like making those glitter and glue drawings in preschool. This would give good separation and not stick out. Has anyone tried this? Pictures?

Second I was thinking about using the rock wool that plants grow in. Would carpeting plants be able to grow and live in the rock wool?

Opinions are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks :-)

Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

I'd avoid the rockwool, that stuff is pretty similar to fiberglass. great for plants, but I wouldn't want it anywhere it could possible get picked up by critters.

I think some of the better scapes I've seen used rocks, driftwood, or other hardscape elements when they wanted to make a sharp/distinct boundary twixt two different substrate types/altitudes. I think this is probably the way to go, as it is easier, it looks good, it's more likely to work, and you can find plenty of examples in nature.

I think it's hard to do slopes in aquariums because in nature, slopes are generally dynamic sortsa things, and we can't quite accommodate all of the balancing factors in a small aquarium easily.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
hlaalu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I'd avoid the rockwool, that stuff is pretty similar to fiberglass. great for plants, but I wouldn't want it anywhere it could possible get picked up by critters.

I think some of the better scapes I've seen used rocks, driftwood, or other hardscape elements when they wanted to make a sharp/distinct boundary twixt two different substrate types/altitudes. I think this is probably the way to go, as it is easier, it looks good, it's more likely to work, and you can find plenty of examples in nature.

I think it's hard to do slopes in aquariums because in nature, slopes are generally dynamic sortsa things, and we can't quite accommodate all of the balancing factors in a small aquarium easily.
I did not know that about rockwool, thanks for the warning.

Your ideas seem much better then mine. And once I get some carpeting plants firmly in place, they will help keep the substrates separated right?
So I wonder if it would just be easier to start with one type of substrate, grow the carpet and then cut out a spot for the sand?