Self sustaining snail tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
water hyacinth
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Self sustaining snail tank

Is it possible to make a self sustaining snail tank?. I was thinking of some water lettuce and hyacinth to act as a filter (water hyacinth is said to be able to absorb heavy metals and grow prolifically) And maybe some java moss for along the bottom. With some malaysian trumpet snails and assassin snails. The MTS should eat any algae , and im hoping the plants?? (from what iv'e read though they do eat plants, so maybe another snail which does?, iv'e also read it's more difficult for the assassins to eat MTS than other snails due to a trapdoor the MTS have) then the assassins eat the MTS. by self sustaining i mean no filter no heater, feeding etc. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
water hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

For what it's worth, I have a mason jar with some red ramshorn snails, java fern, and moneywort. At first I fed some lettuce once a week until the algae started, then stopped feeding. I change the water weekly with water from an established tank. Otherwise, I do no maintenance. They have been doing fine for around 3 months now.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

There are a lot of threads on this subject, mostly planted vases/bowls/jars/etc. It is definitely possible, just don't overstock snails at first :-)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hyacinth View Post
Is it possible to make a self sustaining snail tank?. I was thinking of some water lettuce and hyacinth to act as a filter (water hyacinth is said to be able to absorb heavy metals and grow prolifically) And maybe some java moss for along the bottom. With some malaysian trumpet snails and assassin snails. The MTS should eat any algae , and im hoping the plants?? (from what iv'e read though they do eat plants, so maybe another snail which does?, iv'e also read it's more difficult for the assassins to eat MTS than other snails due to a trapdoor the MTS have) then the assassins eat the MTS. by self sustaining i mean no filter no heater, feeding etc. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Easy.

I keep a 20 gallon half barrel outside in the shade going on 3 yrs now and only add water when it isn't rainy season .

It has driftwood on the bottom , jave fern and zillion scuds, daphnia, snails and just lots other neat inverts.
I set it up to raise scuds for my darters and it has become a scud gold mine however I do feed algae wafer every 4 days .

Screen which I keep loose during winter as easier to net scuds out ,is to keep leaves out and Satans hoards from laying eggs (Cuban treefrogs).

"water hyacinth is said to be able to absorb heavy metals and grow prolifically"

Water hycainth is amazing but it needs light but it can grow inside with flourescent , cfl,etc. It does need to be trimmed often and you even cut back the roots or they will grow like rope in the water and use up all the space but the plant couldn't care less and if good light , it just keeps on growing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverts.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	98234  

Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's totally possible, and I say go for it! However, MTS
doesn't eat many types of algae, maybe none at all.