Slow? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
The SnS change was the greatest amendment to the forum that could have happened but that's a whole different topic that's been discussed 1000 times in the past.
The "SnS" change? What was that?
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

We were averaging 1,200-1,400 people on at a time for a few months. Then it picked up to around 2,000, where it is currently and usually remains. That's an increase on par with previous winters. Even at 9AM Eastern, there are more than 1,600 people on. That's something that wasn't happening several months ago. We'd maybe have 500-600 this early.

Numbers of new threads posted are slowly increasing, posts increasing, etc. Even if it seems slow. Though, people do come and go. Many are gung ho about the hobby for a hot minute and then tire out for whatever reason.

The only thing slower is the For Sale section - and that was purposeful, as mentioned above.

To me, it seems like the planted tank hobby is becoming more advanced and more... educated, if you will. Even those new to the hobby lately seem to have a better grasp on tanking than they did a couple years ago. What we've all learned in the past five or six years seems to be about 500-600% more than the hobby learned in the previous two decades. So it seems a bit natural for the tone to change, questions to change, activity to evolve.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Only a third though are registered users. I'd rather see the numbers for registered users than overall. I would bet a good number of the guest accounts are bots.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I agree, I remember when I just posted a forum with a ton of questions, 3 minutes later, all questions were answered. It's not really that bad, and it's winter, people get lazy during winter.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I noticed since FaceBook is booming, people don't seem to chat as much. Other clubs and groups I belong to introduce FB, and Bam! There goes the neighborhood! It's a time-eater.
Just my observation.
I'm new here
-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Part of it is I think, there is a lot more info on the site, and for those that take the time to search not only here, but the net in general, can get their questions answered without starting a thread.

Then there are those that start a thread, you ask for more info, and they never reply back. Or those that ask a question that a 10 second search would have shown 70 answers to their exact question and despite people on here wanting to help, wanting to answer everyone, just don't sometimes. We all get to that point sometimes, where it's like, I don't want to type out an answer to this when I just did 3 days ago for the exact same question and searching shows it's been answer 40 other times as well.

Then comes the difference of opinions and sometimes people don't answer because they know someone is going to answer with conflicting information because that person always does, and the thread always gets divided.

How many threads do we need on Metricide to Excel conversion, it's the same today as it was 4 years ago when people started substituting Excel, it hasn't changed. Would you rather a user search and find the answer, or start the 106th thread on the same topic?

Threads on what do you feed your shrimp turn into, I'd never feed that, it has to be this much veggie matter vs this much protein, that food killed all my shrimp, this is the ONLY thing to feed shrimp, etc, etc.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
...Then there are those that start a thread, you ask for more info, and they never reply back. Or those that ask a question that a 10 second search would have shown 70 answers to their exact question and despite people on here wanting to help, wanting to answer everyone, just don't sometimes. We all get to that point sometimes, where it's like, I don't want to type out an answer to this when I just did 3 days ago for the exact same question and searching shows it's been answer 40 other times as well...

...How many threads do we need on Metricide to Excel conversion, it's the same today as it was 4 years ago when people started substituting Excel, it hasn't changed. Would you rather a user search and find the answer, or start the 106th thread on the same topic?

Threads on what do you feed your shrimp turn into, I'd never feed that, it has to be this much veggie matter vs this much protein, that food killed all my shrimp, this is the ONLY thing to feed shrimp, etc, etc.
It's shame everyone doesn't have access to a TPT jpg screenshot file that says click here, and shows people with the same tired questions the search feature, with a big red circle drawn around the button.

I lurk on boards of my interests, sometimes for months, if the board allows guests to search. If you aren't motivated to look for a search button on every board you visit, then I have to wonder if that kind of laziness transfers over to your fishkeeping practices.

But that's just me.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
It's shame everyone doesn't have access to a TPT jpg screenshot file that says click here, and shows people with the same tired questions the search feature, with a big red circle drawn around the button.

I lurk on boards of my interests, sometimes for months, if the board allows guests to search. If you aren't motivated to look for a search button on every board you visit, then I have to wonder if that kind of laziness transfers over to your fishkeeping practices.

But that's just me.
It's the internet and with that, comes wanting instant gratification. I'm on all kinds of forums and it's amazing how impatient people get demanding you help them fix their phone, that they bricked trying to root or jailbreak, and they screwed up because they are so impatient, they couldn't follow directions that clearly prevent you from getting your phone bricked, and then bump threads and whine and demand help. Bumping a thread that is a few hours old almost guarantee's I won't help you. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hey, Calmia22, nice to find another Oregonian here.

I know some days I have a lot to catch up on here, and others not so much. I'm just thankful I found TPT. I've always wanted to grow aquarium plants, and I couldn't have asked for a better site.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #25
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

I have been taking a break. I have been working long hours and my tanks have all really suffered. I am in the process of taking a couple down at the moment. I just don't have the time anymore!
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
Magnum26
Algae Grower

I've noticed that it's not as responsive here as most other forums. I belong to a gaming forum and always get almost instant responses, here two of my threads only have 3 comments and one of my other threads has 44 views but not a since comment. Makes me think "why bother to waste my time writing it if no one is going to comment".
Magnum26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

The thread that hasn't received responses looks to be about a video game. That likely explains the lack of immediate response.

You've been a member of the forum for less than two weeks. Give people time to get to know you as a forum member and they'll start commenting. Nearly all of us get wrapped up in our own tanks and sometimes only check other journals a few times per month.

Also - welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum26 View Post
I've noticed that it's not as responsive here as most other forums. I belong to a gaming forum and always get almost instant responses, here two of my threads only have 3 comments and one of my other threads has 44 views but not a since comment. Makes me think "why bother to waste my time writing it if no one is going to comment".
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've always been surprised how active this forum is. Way WAAAAAAY more active then any cichlid forums i'm on. In fact i feel as though i spend more time on here then the other forums combined because of that activity, and its nice to see.
I do notice some cliquey-ness though, and i guess thats expected with some many people who know, and talk to each other or in the same threads almost daily for god knows how long. But it is sometimes hard to get answers. I've answered a lot of posts, i'm lucky to get any for mine. As annoying as it is, i do find having to dig for my own answers prob works out for the better.

The site does work super fast for me though.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
Magnum26
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The thread that hasn't received responses looks to be about a video game. That likely explains the lack of immediate response.

You've been a member of the forum for less than two weeks. Give people time to get to know you as a forum member and they'll start commenting. Nearly all of us get wrapped up in our own tanks and sometimes only check other journals a few times per month.

Also - welcome to the forum!
There are plently of gamers here I thought it might be something different.

I was mearly stating that this forum is alot slower for me than other forums, granted most of my other forums are gaming or computer related and I understand people are busy, hey we all have jobs and lives etc. I guess I'm one of the few that is on here several times a day.
Magnum26 is offline   Reply With Quote