co2 regulator question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

co2 regulator question

1. http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...sure-Regulator

2. http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=447

i'll be looking to use a paintball for space sake and wanted to use either one of these. i like the azoo's price point and the look of it, and i wanted to know if ANYONE have experience with it.

is it a safe regulator unlike the asa on/off valve? i don't see anywhere it saying that it's a fixed pressure controller.

same thing with #2 regulator.

thanks!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I have the Azoo one I've had no problems with it. It is a true regulator and not just a valve. I was using it for about 6 months on a Mini S with a standard CGA320 2.5 lb tank. In fact I'm going to be setting up again soon. I don't have any experience with the ADA one.

Looks like it's on closeout so if you do try to buy it make sure you have options in the event it doesn't work well.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Awesome! I'll be ordering this today. But what do u mean by options?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Just meant, since it's on close out I would find out what the return policy is (credit, exchange) so your not stuck with it. Anything could happen in shipping, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Just meant, since it's on close out I would find out what the return policy is (credit, exchange) so your not stuck with it. Anything could happen in shipping, etc.
noted. thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
gnod
Wannabe Guru

ok just placed my order! i read the fine print on the close out and i have 24 hours to ensure it works. that means i need my paintball co2 tank (ordering) along with the adapter (ordering) ready when it comes.

i believe
this this
adapter is the one?

couple of questions.
1) i have one of those glass bubble counters. can i just place the counter right along my tank? much fancier setups i've seen have them directly connected to the counter.

2) it says that it has a needle valve i can control as little as 6 bubbles / minute. is this my main source of regulating the co2 output? (might be obvious but this is my first co2 regulator. sorry)

3) installation order: attach co2 tubing to regulator. ensure regulator is tightly closed. attach adapter to regulator, and paintball tank to regulator. attach tube to atomic diffuser. and let her rip? haha. . . just would like to make sure i'm doing this right the first time! thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
i believe this adapter is the one?
Looks right.

Quote:
1) i have one of those glass bubble counters. can i just place the counter right along my tank?
Yes.

Quote:
2) it says that it has a needle valve i can control as little as 6 bubbles / minute. is this my main source of regulating the co2 output? (might be obvious but this is my first co2 regulator. sorry)
Yes.

Quote:
3) installation order: attach co2 tubing to regulator. ensure regulator is tightly closed. attach adapter to regulator, and paintball tank to regulator. attach tube to atomic diffuser. and let her rip? haha. . . just would like to make sure i'm doing this right the first time! thanks!
No. You want to make sure the regulator is open (knob is turned counter clockwise) to ensure that the low pressure gauge is not destroyed by the sudden increase in pressure from the cylinder.

For more information, please take a look through my Primer to Pressurized CO2 - the instructions on the second page for regulator use can be applied even to a paintball setup.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

You received good advise from Darkblade48 he know his stuff. That particular regulator you don't have to worry about the regulator knob being open since it has a fixed working pressure. Just make sure the needle valve is open. BTW it comes ready to work with a regular cylinder so you could go with a 2.5lb cylinder and not worry about the paintball conversion.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
gnod
Wannabe Guru

ty darkblade48 - very informative article you wrote!

houseofcards, thanks for your feedback. so since this is a fixed working pressure regulator i dont have to be worried about setting the output pressure right? i just have to fine tune it with the needle valve which i have to leave open. but the regulator won't pump co2 until i plug it in since it's got a solenoid right?

do you use this particular one with a timer also? and what method are you using to diffuse your co2?

sorry if im asking too many questions.. haha

Last edited by gnod; 03-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
so since this is a fixed working pressure regulator i dont have to be worried about setting the output pressure right?
Yes.

Quote:
i just have to fine tune it with the needle valve which i have to leave open. but the regulator won't pump co2 until i plug it in since it's got a solenoid right?
Yes.

Quote:
do you use this particular one with a timer also? and what method are you using to diffuse your co2?
If you have a solenoid, you might as well use a timer, it will help you save some CO2.

There are many diffusion methods; some people with canister filters enjoy using inline diffusers/reactors since they do not take up real estate space within the aquarium.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote