ghost shrimp - appear to be milky? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

my apologies then, i'm used to established tanks having about 10-20 ppm nitrates so i just assumed. also it's likely your test kit is off, i have 2 different sets of solution and each reads different in my tank...
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
my apologies then, i'm used to established tanks having about 10-20 ppm nitrates so i just assumed. also it's likely your test kit is off, i have 2 different sets of solution and each reads different in my tank...
no need for apoligies, i know you guys are just trying to help

i've read of people who just toss fish right into a tank with no prep at all.. you have no idea what level of prep i might've taken before getting these shrimp.

so i've been reading up on seachem's "focus" medication and it doesn't seem to indicate if shrimp will eat it, and/or if it is safe for them, any experience there?
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #18
seuadr
Planted Member

finally caught him, and isolated him in his own little bowl with a medicated algae wafer and a moss ball. after inspection, just seems to be the one that is milky.. hopefully if it is bacterial than it is isolated to him.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default ghost shrimp - appear to be milky?

usually cloudy shrimp = dead shrimp
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

I can help you...but may not make it in time to save this particular shrimp. Do you have IAL leaves or alder cones? If not, message me with your addy.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #21
seuadr
Planted Member

I should be able to get almond leaves tomorrow.

As much as id like this shrimp to make it, though am more concerned with the rest of the tank. I hope the other 3 are ok.. and that my evidently non shrimp eating puffer is ok.

It sounds silly, since I have these ghost shrimp to try and encourage a lack of hostilities between them, but I rather like the shrimp themselves. I am even picking up another tank 8 gallon biocube because I think it would make a pretty good shrimp tank.

So I am guessing that the almond leaves help? Looks Like seachem has a shrimp specific medication also. Can they work together?

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Well they leech into the water anti bacterial and anti fungal tannins.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Melafix can help, it's just tea tree oil...IAL, alder cones things like that help but due to the tannins...so you can rinse them before hand but don't SOAK the tannins out as that's what has the antifungal/antibacterial properties.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
seuadr
Planted Member

well, you guys called it. i came and looked at my bowl this morning and he was gone. 2 of the other three (usually all i see at a time is 2) are still clear. the two i saw this morning one was still very clear with yellow eyes, the other has spots like that one, but doesn't appear to be milky. i am beginning to think that they are different shrimp as mentioned.

side by side the ghost shrimp have a but of a kink, or hump just before the tail, and the brown spotted ones do not.

i will look at having almond leaf on hand all the time now as well as melafix. i don't mind the tannins from a tank standpoint, i'd much rather have piece of mind than worry about slightly brown water.

so i managed to get a pic of each of the two already molted shrimp this morning:

they do not appear to be milky to me, would you agree?

also gives you a nice clear view of their body structure.

Last edited by seuadr; 03-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: edit for pictures
Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (123/100%)

Bodies look healthy on these.

Sorry about your other shrimp. It's frustrating, but lots of times after the cloudy body is noticed they are too far gone to save.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
seuadr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Bodies look healthy on these.

Sorry about your other shrimp. It's frustrating, but lots of times after the cloudy body is noticed they are too far gone to save.
it happened so fast. 2 days ago just before i went to bed i saw that he was turning blue.. which for a grass/glass shrimp is evidently normal.. then yesterday morning he was milky. on the bright side, they were cheap feeder shrimp, which i intentionally chose so that they are replaceable. I have melafix now, and i plan on visiting my LFS today and getting some almond leaves. i'm gonna keep a small bit in the corner that they seem to like. I am also going to dose melafix for a few days as a precaution.

now, i finally got a good pic of the one shrimp that still looks like they all did when i bought them.. this is definitely a ghost shrimp, yes?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
newms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
it happened so fast. 2 days ago just before i went to bed i saw that he was turning blue.. which for a grass/glass shrimp is evidently normal.. then yesterday morning he was milky. on the bright side, they were cheap feeder shrimp, which i intentionally chose so that they are replaceable. I have melafix now, and i plan on visiting my LFS today and getting some almond leaves. i'm gonna keep a small bit in the corner that they seem to like. I am also going to dose melafix for a few days as a precaution.

now, i finally got a good pic of the one shrimp that still looks like they all did when i bought them.. this is definitely a ghost shrimp, yes?

That one is a ghost shrimp.
newms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Absolutely. You can tell by the back shape.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #29
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newms View Post
That one is a ghost shrimp.
I know less about shrimp than anyone here but they catch ghost shrimp a few miles from my house and all over the legal outskirts of the everglades which is why I think many do not live past the first month.
They are not captive raised and imagine stressed in the collection nets and storage.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
seuadr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
I know less about shrimp than anyone here but they catch ghost shrimp a few miles from my house and all over the legal outskirts of the everglades which is why I think many do not live past the first month.
They are not captive raised and imagine stressed in the collection nets and storage.
fortunately, my LFS breeds his own glass/ghost shrimp, along with a majority of their more common fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.