New 20L, looking for help improving
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Zlookup
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New 20L, looking for help improving

Hi. Really loving all the tanks on this forum. Was hoping people could provide suggestions for my 20l. Not liking my aquascape much. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
goodeye--sniper
Planted Member

Try slanting the substrate from the front to the back going upward. Additionally, I would move the driftwood over a bit to keep it on a third. Perhaps try getting some more plants for the back left and the entire midsection of the tank?
I'm a fan of crypts, nice and easy to maintain
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ditto: the driftwood is too centered. Move it a little more to the right. Also, I would rotate it a bit so the 2 legs are angled to the viewer. The leg that is closer to the center of the tank should be a bit farther back.
Perhaps the large leafed plants are too tall for this tank? The eye sees more of the mid-tank area, and in that area are mostly the roots and stems of the big plants.
Then the rest of the large leafed plants are sort of squished in the right corner. After you move the driftwood, there will be more room on the left half of the tank. Space out these large leafed plants where they will have room to spread out.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Ended up shifting the drift wood left. Think the angle I took the picture at made it more centered looking than it really was but I agree with that it was too attention drawing where it was, in a bad way. Added some more foreground plants and rocks to fill in the space a bit more too. The tank isn't huge so I was torn about whether to split up the big plants to give them room or not but will leave it as is for the moment. I kind of like the openness now on the right. Almost feel like the tank would look nicer without the large plants. Thoughts on the re-scape? Sorry for the somewhat blurry picture. Thanks.

Last edited by Zlookup; 03-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Updated pic
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The rocks are too much in the center. One grouping, not two, and further right, about where the top of your heater is.

Big plants are too crowded. I hear what you are saying about wanting more open space. I would put these bigger plants in a different tank, only keep a couple of the smallest examples of these large leafed plants. Remove these when they grow, and keep on replacing them with smaller offsets or cuttings.

The ground cover will look nice when it grows in!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Zlookup
Algae Grower

I tried to off center the rocks slightly and the left most rock is right at the center but I couldn't move it much further cause of the right rock. It creates a bit of a valley affect between the rocks that I kind of dig and think may come out decent once it grows in a bit but it may be a bit much as you stated. Though the more I stare at the rocks, the more the centering does irk me haha.

The bigger plants are serving the purpose of catching some of the HOB flow so while I would like to remove them , have to keep them there for the time being. Should have gotten a canister, but I'll live with it for now. Also don't have any other tanks so can't really move it haha. Was thinking of setting up a QT tank and maybe throwing them in there but that may be a bit tough on them.

Planning to put RCS in this tank. Would that change how anyone might scape this?

I'll let things settle for a few wks and then maybe rescape again. Don't want to stress out the plants and fish too much more than I already have. Raising the temp of the tank to 86F cause the danios appear to being showing signs of ich (what I get for not QT'n. sigh). Is that going to hurt any of the plants or should that be ok?

Last edited by Zlookup; 03-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Correcting auto correct :/
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlookup View Post
I tried to off center the rocks slightly and the left most rock is right at the center but I couldn't move it much further cause of the right rock. It creates a bit of a valley affect between the rocks that I kind of dig and think may come out decent once it grows in a bit but it may be a bit much as you stated. Though the more I stare at the rocks, the more the centering does irk me haha.
I agree with Diana about the rocks but I also feel if you move the rocks to the right you will create two scapes. I think the large plants are the right size for the wood. but the rocks are too small if anything and once your plants fill in you will loose them. I like the formation of the central rocks.

Honestly I think it's a case of which perspective you are viewing it from. The plants as they are now tend to suggest that it is a 1:1 scale (as in life size). If this were the case then the rocks will be viewed as being the size they really are. However if you removed the large plants and the wood you could achieve a more scaled look, as in the rocks could look as if they were boulders on a hill face or even mountains if you had more.

So having said all that I think you need to decide to intergrate the whole lot as you have it now, which is possible if you combine the rocks and the wood with the large plants. Or you need to remove the wood and larger plants.

If you want to see what I mean cover the wood and larger plants with your hands and just look at the center rock formation. Imagine the plants are filled in and thick.

Quote:
The bigger plants are serving the purpose of catching some of the HOB flow so while I would like to remove them , have to keep them there for the time being.
I'm curious as to why you would want this. I have always read flow is one of your biggest friends in a planted tank because it distributes gasses and prevents algae.

Quote:
Planning to put RCS in this tank. Would that change how anyone might scape this?
? sorry, don't know the abbreviation.

Quote:
I'll let things settle for a few wks and then maybe rescape again. Don't want to stress out the plants and fish too much more than I already have. Raising the temp of the tank to 86F cause the danios appear to being showing signs of ich (what I get for not QT'n. sigh). Is that going to hurt any of the plants or should that be ok?
ooo, didn't realise you had fish in there. Your plants will be more disturbed if you let them grow first if you ask me. I'd do it now and be done with it. Of course you need to kind of have a plan to do that.

Do you have more rocks or wood? It is a good idea to have plenty of materials on hand so you have a selection to choose from.

I just redid 2 tanks and I have a bedroom full of rocks atm. I also have a wheelbarrow full of rocks out the back I decided against. But I do have rocks available to me easily.

My suggestion is you have a look at a lot of tanks and find what you like. then come up with a plan and the materials you need to do it.

Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Ultimately did rearrange everything. Aft the heat and a bit of salt did their number on my plants and I thought my fish were in the clear of ich, realized some also came with velvet =\. Gotta love big chain pet stores. Had to remove most of the plants to get the fish out and into a QT tank so took the opportunity to just rescape since it was all destroyed anyway. Added some sand cause I figured the shrimp I ultimately am setting this tank up for will have something easy to shift through if desired. Not in love with the scape but I will live with it for a while.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Ultimately did rearrange everything. Aft the heat and a bit of salt did their number on my plants and I thought my fish were in the clear of ich, realized some also came with velvet =\. Gotta love big chain pet stores. Had to remove most of the plants to get the fish out and into a QT tank so took the opportunity to just rescape since it was all destroyed anyway. Added some sand cause I figured the shrimp I ultimately am setting this tank up for will have something easy to shift through if desired. Not in love with the scape but I will live with it for a while.

Sorry to hear about your fish. That'd be so disheartening.

Back to your scape... other than the sand I don't think you changed much at all. In the scheme of things you still have a very similar layout to what you did before.

You know what I think would be a really good start? put a black background on the tank. For a start that would make it a lot harder to see the filter and wavemaker. I think it Would also make your plants stand out more.

The more I look at your tank the more I think it needs more wood.

If you have had to remove your fish now is a good time to rearrange things.

Linds
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Sorry to hear about your fish. That'd be so disheartening.

Back to your scape... other than the sand I don't think you changed much at all. In the scheme of things you still have a very similar layout to what you did before.

You know what I think would be a really good start? put a black background on the tank. For a start that would make it a lot harder to see the filter and wavemaker. I think it Would also make your plants stand out more.

The more I look at your tank the more I think it needs more wood.

If you have had to remove your fish now is a good time to rearrange things.

Linds
The changes were fairly minimal as you stated. The rocks were repositioned to lean more left. This was mainly to follow the flow of the power head. Did not make sense to really have it leaning against the current originally. By leaning it towards the wood, also thought it joined the two components better and broke up that centering aspect of the wood. I also tilted the wood on its side more to provide a bit more height. Did lose most of my HC and star grass to the heat treatment so obviously that's gone.

I have no more wood and don't really like mopani to begin with cause of its thickness which takes up more of the tank than i care for. Until I order a batch of manzanita, I don't think ill be doing much more with wood scaping. I do have more rocks but if I did put that in, I'd have to remove the wood. May do that but I don't have a design figure out and as you pointed out, tough to fix something if you don't have much of a plan haha.

Agree on the background. I removed the other temp one I had and just haven't gotten around to getting something black for it. But will surely get to it at some point hopefully

Debating whether I should move the hair grass though and leave te sand portion void. Also, the crypts are catching and holding a ton of the debris and its a bit tough to vac it out. Need to figure out how to clean that area better it the crypts will need relocation. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Zlookup; 03-17-2013 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added to
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #11
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Got in the black background. Does make it easier to view for sure.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
The changes were fairly minimal as you stated. The rocks were repositioned to lean more left. This was mainly to follow the flow of the power head. Did not make sense to really have it leaning against the current originally. By leaning it towards the wood, also thought it joined the two components better and broke up that centering aspect of the wood.
I think moving the rocks helped, BUT I loved the way one sat on top of the other where you had them before. Not they just look like a couple of rock sitting at the back. Do you think you can position them in a similar fashion as they were but instead of the top rock 'pointing' toward the RH corner could it point to the LH corner?

Quote:
I also tilted the wood on its side more to provide a bit more height. Did lose most of my HC and star grass to the heat treatment so obviously that's gone.
I like the wood since you turned it. The height, as you say, is better.

Quote:
I have no more wood and don't really like mopani to begin with cause of its thickness which takes up more of the tank than i care for. Until I order a batch of manzanita, I don't think ill be doing much more with wood scaping. I do have more rocks but if I did put that in, I'd have to remove the wood. May do that but I don't have a design figure out and as you pointed out, tough to fix something if you don't have much of a plan haha.
You are going fine with just a change here and there I think. Since it is already set up it does make it more difficult to do a whole rescape. I still think more wood would help, but I agree that you don't want anything too thick. i don't have experience buying wood, but from the pictures I've looked at of manzanita I think it would be perfect. It would be great if you could get a piece that looks like a stump with roots going off it (or make it look like that with your existing wood).

If and when you do such my plan would be to have this feature of wood about a third of the way from the left. I'd then incorporate the rocks to suit.

Quote:
Agree on the background. I removed the other temp one I had and just haven't gotten around to getting something black for it. But will surely get to it at some point hopefully
OMG the new background is so good.

Quote:
Debating whether I should move the hair grass though and leave te sand portion void. Also, the crypts are catching and holding a ton of the debris and its a bit tough to vac it out. Need to figure out how to clean that area better it the crypts will need relocation. Suggestions welcome.
TBH I when I first saw the sand I gasped and though 'NO!, what have you done!'. But now I've calmed down. I think it looks better now the black background is in. I definately would not take the grass out, just because the sand area will make void your whole scape like a black hole (but white lol). You won't be able to look at anything else unless you tare your eyes away from the sand. The thing with white sand is that it is usually used to highlight an area or to define an area which is a focal point. By placing the white sand in half of your tank you have more or less cut the tank in half and made two separate aquascapes. If it was up to me I'd siphon it out and put the other substrate back. Then maybe put some back later in an appropriate spot. But it doesn't look horrible.

I like the way the LHS flows in a triangle from left to right.

Attachment 108394

Also, generally a tank looks better when the front substrate is level. I don't know why, just does.

Can you move your heater behind the wood? it really stands out like a saw thumb as I'm sure you can see.

Now looking at your tank again I think instead of having a focal point as I described above I'd do something like this...

Attachment 108402

This would make a V where the white sand 'path' is. The brown is wood and I added a few rocks. The path might not look like that and you might not even have the sand at all. But it creates a vanishing point and I think you can achieve this without too much hassle. You can start it now before you find more wood.

Anyway, they are my suggestions.

Linds
Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Can't see the attachments.

The sand actually takes up a third of the scape as a somewhat triangular shape but from a level front in view can be hard to tell in the picture especially with rocks and plants covering up portions as well. The idea was more or less to setup an area for some fish and shrimp to have an easier time with but it does stand out. I had poured in more sand than originally intended and got a bit too tired at that point to take any out. Originally wanted a slight border of the flora max on the right side as well to not create that divided feel as you say. I've stared at it thinking omg what have I done as well haha. Picture does make it look whiter than in reality though but I'm still not huge fan of it. Perhaps should have gone with some black fluorite sand or a mix to darken it up slightly. I intentionally made it look messier with the gravel on the sand where they meet cause it was just too contrasting. Maybe mixing it more with existing gravelighy help but be kind of an all or nothing at that point since shifting out the sand once mixed would be more effort than worth.

Will consider my options and see where it takes me. Curious if any one has used Japanese red maple for drift. I love it's branching structure which is similar to manzanita. The wood without the bark is extremely light in color similar to the sand.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Moving the grass will make that corner look good especially since you plan on adding shrimp. You'll be able to watch them graze

I would personally try and hid the heater behind the piece of DW. My eyes are being drawn to it.