Shrimp Breeders - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #46
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
Can you ship?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
I could... I have breather bags and everything. However, I've never tried so it would be a test run...lol I've ordered shrimp online though and know how to package them so I'm pretty confident that I could do it successfully.
SHMaRiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #47
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
Check out these cuties.

I'll trade you some OEBT's for some pandas and meet you half way since you're in seattle? I think it would make a nice little trip and I'd love to start a new species.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #48
CherokeeNative
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
I started with 6 cardinals and down to three now. I lost one due to screwing around with the GH and then 2 more when my heater sensor left the water and cranked the temperature up to 90! =

At $13 a shrimp those were some costly losses. I would house cardinals completely separate from your CRS. Those two in no way belong together in the same waters. I suggest getting a substrate that will buffer your water a bit. Although I have heard of folks having success with CRS at that PH as long as the water is stable and clean they should be fine.

If you have the funds I would invest in some aqua soil amazonia though.

I've had mixed feedback on OEBT. They do not breed true and can be a bit finicky. Your offspring can range from regular tigers to really dark tigers. They never come out as nice as the parents.

I almost got some too until someone told me about their experience with them. So I've decided to go the taiwan route and have 10 coming. =)

The shrimp list so far now is:
Tigers
Blue Pearls
Yellows
Fire reds
Cherries
CRS
CBS
Golden Bee
Blue Bee
Blue Pearl
A couple of left over ghost feeders
and BKK and WRs on the way.

Its a bad addiction.
Good advice....and in heeding it,

I just purchased a 20 gal. to move my CRS into so I can stablize the water perimeters easier...so I've got a Cascade 700 canister filter, 1 large sponge filter for the tank and purchased some Fluval Shrimp Stratum for my substrate. They are currently on CarabSea Natural and I think that is upping the PH. Dunno. I've been using DI water, and intend to make the move of them today. Wish me luck - I've managed to keep all 10 alive thus far although I had my first berried female last week finally shed her babies and I managed to see one, but now they are all gone - I am guessing the water perimeters killed the babies. Hoping this change over will give the babies what they need to survive. I don't have live plants in the tank - just mosses, riccia and subwassertang.
CherokeeNative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #49
CherokeeNative
Algae Grower

One more thing - is it the Golden Bee that you breed with the CRS to get a finer grade CRS, or do you have to just keep culling out the lesser grades and interbreeding the finer grades? I've read volumes and volumes on these guys, yet I am still unclear on this. TIA
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #50
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeNative View Post
One more thing - is it the Golden Bee that you breed with the CRS to get a finer grade CRS, or do you have to just keep culling out the lesser grades and interbreeding the finer grades? I've read volumes and volumes on these guys, yet I am still unclear on this. TIA
i hope i dont confuse you or give you any false info, but as far as i know... yes, goldens/snow whites are used to get higher grade crs/cbs, but in return you are mixing genes so you'll get more golden offspring out of a clutch. basically your crs/cbs will should get a more solid "white", but every time you interbreed a crs with a golden/cbs you are getting father and farther away from a "pure line"

i let my crs/cbs/goldens/tb all interbreed, just like many others on this forum.
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #51
CherokeeNative
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
i hope i dont confuse you or give you any false info, but as far as i know... yes, goldens/snow whites are used to get higher grade crs/cbs, but in return you are mixing genes so you'll get more golden offspring out of a clutch. basically your crs/cbs will should get a more solid "white", but every time you interbreed a crs with a golden/cbs you are getting father and farther away from a "pure line"

i let my crs/cbs/goldens/tb all interbreed, just like many others on this forum.
Thanks for explaining this Dany - okay, so to keep the line pure, I would want to buy higher grade CRS and then start culling and breeding the higher grades back to each other. Thanks!!! Thank was very helpful.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #52
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

I don't add goldens to my shrimp in order to get higher grades. I just cull out the lesser quality ones. That way I can maintain a pure line. I prefer solid coloring and red legs as opposed to white/clear legs.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #53
AName
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMaRiM View Post
Currently I only have my CRS for sale. I need to build up more OEBT stock.
I drive past you a few times a month...I'll have to swing by and get some CRS one of these times
AName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #54
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Finally Busted out the camera the other day and snapped a few shots.

binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #55
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Those are some pretty sweet shrimp, binbin. Looking great.

How many different tanks do you have? What are you keeping in each tank?
rah-bop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

15G - taiwan and higher grade CRS/CBS
20G L - Divided Yellow Neos and Fire Reds
15G - Pearls, Blue Velvets and Tigers
12G L - CRS and Some Cherries

Quote:
How many different tanks do you have? What are you keeping in each tank?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #57
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you worried about all your neos inbreeding and losing their nice colors?
rah-bop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #58
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

no they are divided. I only keep the blue dream with the reds because he is my only one I killed one off in a netting accident. The fire reds breed like mad so I actually want him to knock one up to see what it turns out to be. =)
Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #59
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

Default Re: Shrimp Breeders

I'll trade some Oebts for some crystal blacks if you keep them separate from your reds. I prefer to have them separate so they don't have hybrid children that produce black or reds.

BTW, binbin, it looks like a few of your pandas are coming down with some balloon head defects. It's usually best to cull those out. Might just be the pictures through the glass, but otherwise most of them look awesome!

Last edited by SHMaRiM; 03-31-2013 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: added
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #60
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

Default Re: Shrimp Breeders

Also, if anyone wants Oebts or crs, I have been shipping lately. Sent a few orders to New Jersey and New York, so I know the method I use works...

Will also have Golden's, blue pearls, and carbon rilis available in the near future... BTW, I keep all my shrimp in different tanks so there is no mixes.

4 top tanks are empty waiting for some new species.

Right tank is goldens and blue pearls. Left is high grade CRS.

OEBT tank

Berried Blue Pearl

Golden/Snow White

Golden/Snow White... More solid white than the average Golden/SW you'll see for sale...

S, S+ CRS

Higher grade CRS

Berried Blonde OEBT... I keep these separate from my blue ones...

Another High grade CRS

OEBT

Carbon Rili, Hard to get good pictures cause they are always moving...

Last edited by SHMaRiM; 03-31-2013 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Added pictures.

Tags
kent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.