Stand direct on hardwood floors?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
marcnc
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stand direct on hardwood floors?

For those that have hardwood floors do you put your stand direct on the floor, or put some type of mat down to protect the floor, or is that only going to make it worse if I were to have a spill?
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Cardoc
Algae Grower

I put sticky felt on ever inch of my stand before I put it on the floor, I did have a hell of a time getting the tank level after that though. If I were to redo it I might just leave the felt off because its not like the tank is ever going to move when its full.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Timaithis

Default Hardwood Warped

On my first tank when I was a kid I it was on a metal stand on brand new hardwood with nothing under it. When I got rid of it years later the hardwood underneath had warped apart creating gaps between each board. And I never had any spills just splashing and drips from my hand/net. I believe it was just the humidity that was constantly there that caused it. So if I was you I would put some of the paper they use underneath the hardwood down then find a plastic container with a inch or two lip to fit your stand in on top of the paper.

To make that look nice you could probably frame the plastic lip with the hardwood and put hardwood looking linoleum on the inside of the plastic container.

Hope that helps.
Timaithis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I put felt under the feet of the stands that I made so they would not scratch the floor.
Wood has a big enough footprint that I do not think there will be dents in the floor.
Spills are mopped up promptly.
When I refininished the hardwood floor a few years ago I used the strongest available clear sealer over it. Two coats.
The floor under the 125 gallon tank is still in good condition. It is an open stand, so plenty of air flow. I am just worried that the felt under the feet might be holding water too long, and affecting the floor. Won't know until I move the tank, and that is not going to happen for a long time.

Commercially made cabinetry style stands were on that floor with no protection, and the normal spills happened, and one tank leaked. When those tanks were moved the floor was fine. One of the tanks was a brackish water tank, and even around that (not many spills, no leaks) there was no salt or mineral mess on the floor.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could always get some of the clear carpet runner material and put it under the stand. It would protect the floor from everyday tank maintenance spills. It also wouldn't affect the tank level.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

I've currently got a 20XH set up, and am working on a 40B setup. I live in an apartment, and aside from the expense of insurance that would (supposedly) cover the expenses if one of those failed, I'd also like to avoid gifting my neighbors with water damage...

So, a while back (I can't remember where) I ran into some site that advocated taking a 4'x8' of plywood, screwing some edgewise 2x4s on the perimeter, and sealing the whole mess with epoxy. Claimed it should contain ~60 gallons.

I didn't have a lot of room for where I was sticking my 20XH (impulse buy, and all that...), so I went with ~2'x3', walled with 2x6, and used pvc shower pan liners instead of epoxy - no cure time, just used spray adhesive on the bottom and a staple gun uptop. made it in a night, and it should hold just about 17gallons, which is just about how much water I added to my tank after putting in hardscape and substrate.

Aside from the assurance I get from having a secondary containment, I've found it to be exceptionally enabling of my lazy impulses. After doing a water change, I just drop the hose right in the basin. same with anything wet, or any excess plants/plantparts that I pull out of the tank, yet can't be bothered with to do something else with meanwhile. And it catches almost all of the drippings associated with waterchanges and tank maintenance.

It's not something that would work for every setup, but where I have the tank is a fairly crowded space, so it's not really noticeable because there is so much other stuff around it.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just lay a thick beach towel underneath where I'm working and always wipe dry after I'm done.
wootlaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't have anything between my floors and my stand. I just make sure that if there are any spills to dry it completely.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.