How to Transition From HOB to Eheim Canister
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Uhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to Transition From HOB to Eheim Canister

I just ordered an Eheim 2215 for my established fully stocked, moderately planted 20 gal tank. Currently it is running with an Aquaclear 30 HOB filter with a pre filter sponge on the intake.

Once I install the 2215 I would like to use the Aquaclear HOB to start a 10 gal guppy fry tank. My challenge is that I need to seed the 2215 for my main tank and minimize a cycle of ammonia and nitrite.

Currently my HOB has two bags of biomax (the bio filter inserts), a rectangular sponge block insert and the pre filter sponge. Would it be okay to remove one of the biomax inserts place it in the canister and stretch the pre filter sponge on the canister intake to seed it? I could then transfer my HOB with the remaining biomax insert and sponge block insert to start my fry tank.

I've never opened the 2215 so am not sure there is enough room to add the biomax insert inside to the already existing Eheim filters. I do plan on removing the carbon insert so that probably will give me some room.

Thanks for your input.
Uhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
mo2vation
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhu View Post
I just ordered an Eheim 2215 for my established fully stocked, moderately planted 20 gal tank. Currently it is running with an Aquaclear 30 HOB filter with a pre filter sponge on the intake.

Once I install the 2215 I would like to use the Aquaclear HOB to start a 10 gal guppy fry tank. My challenge is that I need to seed the 2215 for my main tank and minimize a cycle of ammonia and nitrite.

Currently my HOB has two bags of biomax (the bio filter inserts), a rectangular sponge block insert and the pre filter sponge. Would it be okay to remove one of the biomax inserts place it in the canister and stretch the pre filter sponge on the canister intake to seed it? I could then transfer my HOB with the remaining biomax insert and sponge block insert to start my fry tank.

I've never opened the 2215 so am not sure there is enough room to add the biomax insert inside to the already existing Eheim filters. I do plan on removing the carbon insert so that probably will give me some room.

Thanks for your input.

I did this same thing 2 months ago.

Remember - tanks don't cycle - filters do. So if your current HOB is cycled, its just a matter of getting as much bio-holding media (sponge, floss, noodles... whatever) into your Canister.

Once you've set up (read: stacked) your Canister, dump all that nasty HOB water into your canister... loaded with good stuff! Move as much wet media into the canister. Fill the rest with tank water (NOT tap water)... turn it on, take a breath as it will likely push yuck into the tank... it'll soon take it back out.

Test tonight. Test tomorrow. Should be OK. Soon all that yuck water and yucky used filter media from your HOB will infect the tons of Canister media with the beneficial bacto you need.

Bene Bacto is like Sourdough culture - you just gotta keep is rolling from stop to stop. I've grown 8 canisters off of my first HOB in December... all doing very well.

-Ken

Last edited by mo2vation; 03-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: can't friggen type
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

You can also leave the AC on for a few weeks then remove.
The 2215 comes with all the media you need.
Up to you really.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Uhu
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies. I understand that I can seed the 2215 with the filter media from the HOB. What I want to check still is if it's sufficient to use just half the media in my HOB to seed the canister for my main 20 g tank and simultaneously remove the HOB with the remaining media to start my new 10 g fry tank.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, I've done something similar before. This should work. I'd do extra water changes for a week or two, just to be safe.
MChambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I did the switch from HOB to canister a few months ago on my 36G. I left the HOB running for about a week. I did not seed the filter media in the canister. One other thing I did was right after getting the canister up and running, I kinda did a "stir" of my substrate. I just kind of tamped it all over to get all the crud roiled up. The water was all clouded up with residue from the substrate for about an hour, then it all got sucked into the canister.

I can't say for sure if that was a smart or stupid thing to do, or if it had the intended effect at all. But I definitely didn't get any kind of mini-cycle afterward.
MrSlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
Uhu
Algae Grower

Thanks again for all the advice. So helpful to hear from those who have done this before. That's a good idea to do some extra water changes.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Leave the old HOB on the tank and put in the canister. Take the media out from the HOB and give it a little rinse in the canister. Let it run for about a week and then the canister should be seeded. DO NOT stir up the substrate if it is sand! Sand will eat up the impeller of your canister and HOB and wear it down. If it's dirt, then stirring up will be fine, but you might cause ammonia spikes. I wouldn't do water changes if you stirred up dirt mainly because after stirring it, the bacteria gets into the water column and the canister takes it in. This is what you want. If you do a water change after stirring, you take out whatever bacteria got mixed into the water column.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yes sorry I forgot to mention, I have only Eco-Complete for substrate.
MrSlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote