CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #31
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

sweet layout!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

Sweet work. Time to add a black or white background.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #33
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks awesome! can't wait to see it grow in

I agree with Mark on adding a background. A black background will make that black box go away.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #34
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im a big fan of this stuff as a background, if you dont like it you can always peel it off, i agree with the black background to make the overflow less obtrusive. or relocate it to the far end of the tank.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_234077-74130...int&facetInfo=

You might look into trying to seal up the intake side of the wet/dry as best you can. this will keep the tank from degassing the c02. If you want to hide the c02 diffuser, stick it in front of the intake on your sump pump, this will pump all the micro bubbles into the tank still, and give them a lot more turbulence in the water to dissolve more efficiently.

The scape came out great btw!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks great! I prefer the clear background look.

Is that a aqueon sump? Did you find that at a store?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
sweet layout!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Sweet work. Time to add a black or white background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Looks awesome! can't wait to see it grow in

I agree with Mark on adding a background. A black background will make that black box go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That looks great! I prefer the clear background look.

Is that a aqueon sump? Did you find that at a store?
Thanks for the compliments everyone and for checking out my tank. I'm Loving this tank.

I actually prefer no background but I will experiment with it later on when I practice photographing this tank.

It is the aqueon sump, model 1. Got it from amazon. I actually like looking at it and showing it off so I bought this instead of building my own. Pricey but cool and gives me the option to convert it to a refugium if I ever go reefing. I'm still working on quieting the overflow.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 03-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: edit
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #37
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Im a big fan of this stuff as a background, if you dont like it you can always peel it off, i agree with the black background to make the overflow less obtrusive. or relocate it to the far end of the tank.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_234077-74130...int&facetInfo=

You might look into trying to seal up the intake side of the wet/dry as best you can. this will keep the tank from degassing the c02. If you want to hide the c02 diffuser, stick it in front of the intake on your sump pump, this will pump all the micro bubbles into the tank still, and give them a lot more turbulence in the water to dissolve more efficiently.

The scape came out great btw!
Thanks. I'll check out my local lowes for that stuff. I was even thinking of frosted which I think they sell as well.

I'm not to worried about the co2. I got the two diffusers in tank, and a gla atomic inline diffuser as well. Plants pearling and looking good so far.
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #38
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey,

I like the equipment set up. But IMO, it looks like you might be running into the same issue about the scape that I have. The tank is so long that it's hard keep the left and rightside hardscape consistant while still complementing each other.

I really like the left hand side. Perfect wood, plants, and a good transition to the right using the stones in the back(The stones remind me of a Heiau). Then you get to the rightside... I'm just not feeling that driftwood. The angles are unnatural to me and I would find another piece or just take it out and move the leftside over to the right a little.

This is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Kai
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Hey,

I like the equipment set up. But IMO, it looks like you might be running into the same issue about the scape that I have. The tank is so long that it's hard keep the left and rightside hardscape consistant while still complementing each other.

I really like the left hand side. Perfect wood, plants, and a good transition to the right using the stones in the back(The stones remind me of a Heiau). Then you get to the rightside... I'm just not feeling that driftwood. The angles are unnatural to me and I would find another piece or just take it out and move the leftside over to the right a little.

This is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Kai
Staring at my tank this evening and was thinking the same thing. I'm a bit torn cause I like the look of the right sided branchwood pieces individually. It also doesnt help that the wood is a different color. I think I over bleached them and may rubbed off all the bark or something.

I still want to try and make the wood work tho, and I'm going to wait til my rear stem plants fill in before I make any huge adjustments. Details of plant layout to follow.

Thanks for the critique.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just phone pics. Wanted to see if I like a black background (temporary test using black construction paper). My fishes do.... me not so much only because the CO2 micro bubbles are SO MUCH more visible. The trade off is the sump overflow box is barely visible.

Dealing with hair algae like I was with my other tanks.

Added fishes: 5 otocinclus, 1 SAE, 15 ember tetras, 3 black phantom tetras, 1 rasboa maculata (lone survivor from old fluval edge tank). Might add more later on......

Trying to incorporate buces into aquascape little tricky for me right now.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #41
chou
Planted Member

looks good. makes me want to get a 12g long

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-29-2013 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: language
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #42
amyhartofey
Algae Grower

This is an awesome tank! I love the length, would love to work with dimensions like that I agree about the two different colour woods being a problem - do you have an alternative?
amyhartofey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks better with the plants! I think that rock holding down the right tree was throwing me off. I can see the potential now with the close up pics. Great Job!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I love the look of the left side, but the right side still needs some work. I would try adding a Crypt or two to the mid-ground of the right side, and some Java Fern varieties towards the back and the right wall. Maybe stick to windelov, phillipine, and trident java ferns as they tend to grow lower, and your tank isn't that tall. That should give you a nice contrast and help you get that darker color you're looking for.

Personally, I love Buces; I think they're beautiful. They're also relatively easy to keep. But most of them are really small, and they're all such slow growers that I don't think you'll achieve much of a visual impact with them, even in a 12g. They definitely won't hurt, but also with all their color and leaf variation, they may not fit in aesthetically, you know? Also, if you are going to use them, they grow best attached to a lava rock, or at least some kind of stone. I noticed that it looks like you didn't tie them down, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, especially considering their price, it's probably just not worth it to use Buces for this scape. If you decide to take them out, you can always sell them, or better yet, grow them emersed. After all, you're going to be deconstructing several tanks so you'll have some space and lighting already, and pots and dirt are cheap.

Just my .02
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #45
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm thinking of replacing the branchwod. Just hope I can find the right pieces. The color is throwing things off. I'l just use it for another tank.

Still waiting on my background plants to fill in so I won't make dramatic changes just yet. I do like the left side but I'm wondering if my stem plants will throw it off. And I do like the idea of adding darker green plants for a better contrast.