Anyone Use LAshop.com before?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Anyone Use LAshop.com before?

http://www.thelashop.com/aquarium-light/

Came across this site tonight and hadn't seen it before. Does anyone have any experience with their products because everything seems surprisingly affordable. Granted, they don't seem to be name brand products but hey, you never know!

Thanks for any input!
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

This fixture actually looks pretty awesome:

http://www.thelashop.com/fish-tank-a...l#.UTGPfzCkqQk
Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
CAcrimson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It looks like this fixture. Cheaper at Amazon, but everyone of those reviews looks fake and "planted" to me. 2 of the 6 have written 2 reviews. The rest have only written a review for this item. I wouldn't trust the reviews.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 36" 156w Aquarium Light T5 Ho Hood Reef Cichlid Saltwater Lunar Leds 4x39 6500k Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 36" 156w Aquarium Light T5 Ho Hood Reef Cichlid Saltwater Lunar Leds 4x39 6500k

Just remember that you get what you pay for. That fixture probably has really cheap Chinese made ballasts. The power of any fixture is really in the ballast, the reflectors and the bulbs.

I would get a Catalina made with individual reflectors and replace the bulbs with Giesemann bulbs. Those ballasts have a 5 year warranty and they are premium ballasts which give good power to the bulbs.
CAcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcrimson View Post
It looks like this fixture. Cheaper at Amazon, but everyone of those reviews looks fake and "planted" to me. 2 of the 6 have written 2 reviews. The rest have only written a review for this item. I wouldn't trust the reviews.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 36" 156w Aquarium Light T5 Ho Hood Reef Cichlid Saltwater Lunar Leds 4x39 6500k

Just remember that you get what you pay for. That fixture probably has really cheap Chinese made ballasts. The power of any fixture is really in the ballast, the reflectors and the bulbs.

I would get a Catalina made with individual reflectors and replace the bulbs with Giesemann bulbs. Those ballasts have a 5 year warranty and they are premium ballasts which give good power to the bulbs.
Awesome thanks for the suggestion. What are your thoughts on LED's for a planted 40B? I was looking at this aqueon or a finnex Ray2.
Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 36-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 36-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
CAcrimson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That link didn't pull up anything but I think the Aqueon fixtures are all general use, not for plants. You need 6500k to 8000k. Some people are using Finnex Rays, but it's hard to get the correct PAR because they are not adjustable. Also they are not the best LEDs. LEDs for plants are really not prime time yet. Unless you want to spend BIG bucks. Even then they may be too powerful for what you need.

If you are trying to go economy and get good results your best bet is to get a T5HO Catalina fixture and buy Geisemann bulbs. Right now you can't get much better bang for your buck. Catalina can make you any thing you need and it's made here in the USA, so you support people and a business here.

I would Spend money on good ballasts and reflectors. That's what it's all about...and bulbs. Good ballasts will supply appropriate power to the bulbs to actually achieve HO. Inferior ballasts will say they're HO, but they don't come close. I would stay away from cheap Chinese fixtures because they use inferior ballasts, which often fail. Catalina's ballasts are also easily replaceable. They also have a 5 year warranty. Most Chinese fixtures have 1 year, if that.

Last edited by CAcrimson; 03-02-2013 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling
CAcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.