Change of lighting Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
SemperFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Change of lighting Questions

Hello

I have a 55g tank with RCS, Panda Garra, Oto's, Cardinals. As far as plants I'd say its medium to heavily planted with crypts, anubias, other low to medium light plants. I currently have a coralife T-5NO fixture with two 65K bulbs. One bulb is about 6 months old the other over two years old. I've neglected it for awhile and battled some bba with metrecide 14, getting parameters under control, and I have it just about wiped out.

I've been thinking about changing my lighting to a two T-8 bulb fixture (home depot diamond plate fixture) or maybe the finnex fugeray 48 when it comes available. I'm leaning more to the diamond plate fixture due to the cost and availability of bulbs.

What do you think? Any ideas on which is the best T-8 bulbs to use? Should I spend the extra $$ on the fugeray when it's available?

Thanks in advance
SemperFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

The diamond plate fixture is only only t8's, but it has GREAT reflectors so you would have to raise that fixture up. Im not sure of the par on the fugeray, but if it is around 25-35 it would be perfect for a low-medium light low tech setup.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
apfunk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have three t-8's over my 75g with some of the same plants you have mentioned and it seems to work well. I don't even have reflectors. I painted the piece of plywood white that they are mounted to.