Just bought 100 bee shrimp, Help prepping tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just use 75% cycled wated and you should be ok, they like plants and espcially moss. A nice blood worm dinner should welcome them. What kind of filter you using? I would put them in the 55g if there's 100 of them.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, if you want you can send them to me
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Shrimp View Post
Just use 75% cycled wated and you should be ok, they like plants and espcially moss. A nice blood worm dinner should welcome them. What kind of filter you using? I would put them in the 55g if there's 100 of them.
Bad advice. Water contains very little bacteria that's needed. The bacteria is on the surface of things in the tank, not the water. Putting cycled tank water in a new tank is just putting dirty water in a clean tank. It's going to do little or nothing to help.

Tank size, the 15g tank would be fine. 100 shrimp in a 15g isn't overstocking, especially since many will die from not being put in a properly cycled tank to begin with. The 30 would be the biggest of the given tanks I'd use to start.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

This thread is ridiculous. Vendor reviews AND insulting other members. Everyone reading and commenting here knows better.

If someone posts something you deem inexperienced or "newb"ish? Give them advice instead of insulting them. If you don't like them? Ignore them. You don't have to be an adult to use the forum but you're expected to act like one at all times.

If we have to clean the thread up a second time, it'll be closed and people will receive temporary suspensions from the forum.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
ADA takes 4-8 weeks to leech ammonia, asking them to hold a week isn't going to do anything except put the shrimp into a 4ppm ammonia tank.
Oh I know, it has nothing to do with the ammonia, I just would not have someone order shrimp and take them with out a holding period first, that way any shrimp stressed enough to die do so, any potential bacterial infections become apparent, and you lower your chances of buying a box of shrimp that die the next day. Whenever I imported through someone else the conditions of my purchase were that they held my order in their care for a week before i purchased it, and that saved me unbelievably large amounts of money. If you get a bad shipment you want to know BEFORE you take it into your care.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

Now you mention Bee shrimp what type of Bee Shrimp? That will also depend on the conditions you need.

NY Tap is not that bad, even though remineralized RO should be used he might be able to make do with the tap for now. The bad part is not having a established cycled tank to put them in. Might a cycled bed of gravel and cycled filter and water from a existing tank help, it will still cause a mini cycle and will not be ready in time. Buffering substrate maybe needed depending on what your water test at, but we need to know your tap PH GH KH......

Read the sticky on the invert section and that will fill you in a bunch. You have set yourself up for failure, do some solid research before you impulse buy, as it will save your wallet and a bunch of animials lives.

I hope it works out for you because I encourage more people to find the hobby of shrimp keeping it is great, neat, relaxing, and very fun when prepared and done right.

Also if you are getting them from over seas, good luck if you did aquabid. You could face fines and tickets for not having proper paper work and licenses as well as having them all taken and destroyed. Best is to buy off the forum or local...

Good luck and I wish you and all the Bee shrimp the best
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Newbie policing at work...

Some basics: Does everyone actually know the shrimp species of choice before offering suggestions? Caridina or Paracaridina sp ,etccc?

Also why would someone even suggest using Aquasoil to buffer without knowing if even buffering is required against his tap water? It seems the package is due to arrive soon and even holding it a week as Geto points out is not going to fit into the 4-6 week leech cycle typical of Aquasoil.

@evgeney96: use the largest tank available for the greatest amount of stability and buffering against environmental fluxuations. Loads of Mosses and increased aeration will also work in your favor. if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or discuss in the NY subforum. If you are local, come out to have coffee with us and have a more productive conversation in person.

Glad to see jake stepped in.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Aquasoil is out of the question. Takes too long to leech and stabilize Your best bet for the time being is to setup a tank today, use some filtered media from your other tanks so the water can be at least a bit stabilized before you add the shrimp, lots of plants or moss to help soak up any ammonia spikes and put a fish or two in the tank to help keep the filter media cycled.

Some people have said, NY tap water isn't that bad, and that's good. It would helpful to know the gH of the water to know if you have to add anything back or not.

Everyone saying he NEEDS RO and this or that or they're going to die hasn't pushed CRS to their extremes or even tried them in different water. They're not as hardy as cherries, but pretty close in a lot of ways. They adapt. You will probably loose some and it's probably more because the tank hasn't been setup for a month or two and not because you're not using RO and active substrate and all the powders everyone is telling you. Yes, it creates a better tank for CRS, no doubt. Will they all die instantly because you didn't use RO and active substrate, no. Not the best thing to order shrimp without a tank setup, but what's done is done, the best you can do now is try to minimize any losses. Hopefully someone from NYC can tell us how the water is roughly param wise. If it's a bit soft and low on the gh/kh side, you might be ok.

PS, don't tell my CBS that they would be dead in a 7.6 pH tank, they don't need to know that.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

It will be tough to know what his conditions are from someone else unless they are in the same borough, water varies from each one.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Not knowing the water params, I can guestimate that your shrimp will probably do better if you cut the tap water by at least 1/4 with Distilled water. It costs about 60 cents per gallon at the supermarket. Don't use **springwater**

Then go buy a bottle of Tetra Safe Start and use about twice the recommended dose when you add the shrimp. Follow up a day later with more if you have detectable ammonia in the water. It would also be good to provide them with a cycled sponge filter to provide biofilm. Otherwise you could try a little Ebitbacter powder (available on Aquabid). Don't feed very much until you have no detectable ammonia.

I would set up an Aqausoil tank on the side that you could transfer them to after a month of cycling. Aquasoild New Amazonia just works the best and is the easiest substrate for a beginner.

Don't worry, all is not lost. If you do these few things, you may not lose too many of them.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
jumpsmasher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Do you any existing shrimp tank(s) that is up and running already?

If you do and your parameters are in check, I would just put them in there temporarily as long as it is shrimp safe (i.e no fishes that would eat your shrimps).

And as Lexinverts said, set up their intended tank on the side and transfer them over when it is ready after it is fully cycled.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

here's a helpful tip in a heap of rants, add several breeder boxes or breeder nets installed in your established tank to house these guys in the meanwhile.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Could you possibly use a divider in whatever your biggest established tank is to hold the shrimp in while you set up a new tank?
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Maybe you should consider posting in the NY forums to ask someone to hold the shrimps for you in their shrimp tank in a breeder box or something. While you set up your tank =)

=) i'm sure someone will do it!
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote