Milwaukee CO2 regulator-not shutting off
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Elyssa
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Milwaukee CO2 regulator-not shutting off

Hi,
I just hooked up this yesterday and when I unplugged it last night, for over an hour and half, bubbles kept going. I ended up just shutting it down and turning off the cylinder for safety sake.

There is no audible click when I plug it in.

Last edited by Elyssa; 03-01-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

Mine has an audible click when the solenoid turns on and off that isn't difficult to hear. You may need to disassemble and clean the solenoid with a blast of compressed air, or return it, if it's new.
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

My solenoid does get rather warm when it's plugged in. If yours doesn't get warm, then it's not getting power.
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Elyssa
Planted Member

It's not getting warm at all the past couple of hours.

I have a couple extra power cords that the woman gave me. Should I start here first or take the solenoid apart and clean it?

Thanks. Any idiot proof steps to accomplish this would be helpful. But for now I should go searching as I'm sure it's somewhere out there.

Last edited by Elyssa; 03-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: ?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Yes it clicks loudly. I had a problem before when the solenoid leaked at about 1 bubble per every 20-30 seconds before when not plugged is, but it must have been clogged because that's long gone now. It sounds like your solenoid or power supply must be defunct. Check the latter first, and if it is the solenoid, it's not worth trying to replace it.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Elyssa
Planted Member

Well, it doesn't feel like it's warm at all after a few hours running and definately not clicking. I have a couple extra power cords. Is it okay to just turn off the CO2 and completely shut it off with the cylinder valve then unscrew the 4 screw and try another cord? Or do I need to remove the regulator from the co2 tank first?

From what I gather if it's the solenoid being stuck, I can just try to take it apart and clean it out. I'm trying to figure the steps for that as well. First, I'll try the power cord and if that doesn't work, then try to take it apart.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssa View Post
Well, it doesn't feel like it's warm at all after a few hours running and definately not clicking. I have a couple extra power cords. Is it okay to just turn off the CO2 and completely shut it off with the cylinder valve then unscrew the 4 screw and try another cord? Or do I need to remove the regulator from the co2 tank first?
Either is fine; whatever you find more convenient.

Quote:
From what I gather if it's the solenoid being stuck, I can just try to take it apart and clean it out. I'm trying to figure the steps for that as well. First, I'll try the power cord and if that doesn't work, then try to take it apart.
Try the power cord first, it might just be a loose connection. If it is not, and since you are not hearing an audible click, it could be the solenoid coil.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Elyssa
Planted Member

I didn't even think of a loose connection.

I'd prefer not to remove the regulator from the tank if I can just shut it completely down, then that is way more convenient.

If it actually is the solenoid cable, what is this going to mean? I didn't realize with no click, it's a little bit more than it being stuck open. Can it be fixed or does it need to be replaced, if that is the case?

I do have an extra regulator and from the notes from Milwaukee and warranty paperwork, it is just a blown low pressure gauge, but everything else is fine. If need be, I could always take it off of that one and transfer it on this one, because both gauges on this one are working. Or should I not even worry about it and just use the other one, since the low pressure gauge doesn't matter any how?

Right now, I'm just happy that I have CO2 flow. If I'm clear on the instructions, I won't hesitate to attempt a fix. But might ask some stupid clarifying questions that are probably obvious but with zero experience, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

In a couple hours when I turn it off, I will fiddle with the cord, are there any more adjustments then the 4 screws that I need to be aware of? I'll try to see if it's the one on there and a lose connection and if that doesn't work, I'll try the extra cords I was given.

Thanks Anthony. I've read your guide and many posts over the past few weeks as I've been learning and researching the ins and outs.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
If it actually is the solenoid cable, what is this going to mean? I didn't realize with no click, it's a little bit more than it being stuck open. Can it be fixed or does it need to be replaced, if that is the case?
No click could mean several things.

If it is the cord/cable, then that means the solenoid is not getting power (evident by your solenoid not being warm after a few hours of operation). This means that the plunger will not move (hence no click). It could be a loose cable, or a bad cable. If it is the former, just reconnecting/resoldering it will be fine. If it is the latter, than you can replace the cable.

Alternatively, if the cable is good (and the unit is getting power), then it could be the solenoid coil (i.e. there is no click because the coil is not receiving power and not moving the plunger). However, because the solenoid is not warm, I would lean towards it being a cord issue.

Quote:
I do have an extra regulator and from the notes from Milwaukee and warranty paperwork, it is just a blown low pressure gauge, but everything else is fine. If need be, I could always take it off of that one and transfer it on this one, because both gauges on this one are working. Or should I not even worry about it and just use the other one, since the low pressure gauge doesn't matter any how?
Either is fine; it depends what you want.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Elyssa
Planted Member

My fingers are crossed it is just a cord issue. Will look at it tomorrow in the AM with a fresh mind. I'll let you know if there is another bridge yet to be crossed.

Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Elyssa
Planted Member

Whooo Hoooo,
The solenoid was not working at all. I checked for loose connections and then just took it off. I put another power cord/solenoid on and click.

Now, big sigh of relief, I want to go ahead and perform surgery on the solenoid. I like to know how and why things work and at this point I have nothing to lose. I'm just curious.

Thanks again, Anthony.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.