Tank too big for its stand? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I neglected substrate weight in my calculations, but it doesn't make much of a difference. The weight of water is 62.4 lb/ft^3... Depending on the soil, it could be anywhere from 55-100 lb/ft^3. Most calculations I have seen, say for a 55 gallon, calculate the weight of 55 gallons of water, then the weight of the substrate, and add them together. This is not accurate, since the substrate displaces an equal amount of water. So you would only add the difference in the weight of the water and soil. Say the soil is 100 lbs/ft^3, so you only add 37.6 lbs per cubic foot of soil added. In a 55 gallon tank (4ft x 1ft) with 3 inches of substrate (1 ft^3), you're looking at 462lbs of just water, or 500 lbs with substrate. The extra ~40lbs is negligible.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Tank too big for its stand?

On the real matter, there was actually a video of someone taking a standard tank and putting it on blocks, stacking stone in the middle then standing on it. It didn't break. Over time though, I doubt that would work. Something to consider.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: It is unacceptable to insult another member.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

The thing with the four corners though is over time wont the glass and edging in the middle bow and result in a broken bottom?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Commenting on insults made by another user. Offending users have been dealt with.
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

I realize that. But bringing up random stuff like that is just asking for arguments.

The issue is with the weight not being supported evenly. Glass is rigid, yet fragile. If torsion is placed on the glass, breaking is an issue. Level out the tank and have it supported evenly throughout, as much as possible.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (57/100%)

the glass on the bottom of any All Glass or such aquarium is not supported. Only the edges are supported.
I used to manage an aquarium store back in the day. We only supported the long sides of the tanks. And on a few tanks, just the corners. So since I love hockey...the answer to the question of 4 hockey pucks on 4 corners, the answer is yes that would work as long as the 4 corners are level as was mentioned in post #11
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I stand corrected

Even still, I wouldn't setup a tank that was help up by 4 corners only nor would I suggest that to anybody.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Just because it works, doesn't mean you should.

You could easily bump the tank, adding pressure at an abnormal angle, when the tank is already under stress. One bump or different pressure could make the difference. Why rest it on the corners when there is an increased chance of breaking it? I don't see any benefit to doing this.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
evilhorde
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You could use a double layer, glued together, of 3/4" plywood, the same size as the tank, screwed and glued to the top of the table. I would worry about a single layer gradually bending down at the ends leaving only the middle supported.
I had something spring up that led me to use a small dresser to support a 45 gallon tank in an emrgency sort of scenario. the dresser is around 7 inches shorter than the tank. I used 1/2" plywood with 3 layers, glued and screwed to deal with the 3.5"+ inches of overhang at each end. This emergency temporary tank setup has evolved into my primary tank and has been full of water for a little over 6 months now with no ill effects. Aside from the stress related nausea I get when I look at what I have done, of course.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote