First Coast-Jax-NE FL
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
RAZmonkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

First Coast-Jax-NE FL

I'm new to the area and new to the hobby. Any recommendations for local resources? I'd rather support local and family businesses than the big box stores. And it's always nice to "meet" your neighbors.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
RAZmonkey
Planted Member

Bump. Anyone in this area?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
JSA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm in Tallahassee. Not exactly the Jacksonville area. I posted recently with a similar inquiry and didn't get any responses either.

There's got to be more going on in Jax than in Tallahassee, cuz here there's pretty much nothing.

Julia
Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
RAZmonkey
Planted Member

This area seems pretty sleepy too. Nice to "meet" you.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Tony F
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hi, I'm in Lake City and your right, there ain't much.
  • There is a place US 1 on the south end of St Augustine, Pet World, I wasn't impressed. Deals in fish and birds.
  • Jolly's Reef Shack in Jacksonville. Family owned an operated, nice folks, specialize in fish both fresh and salt. Fairly good selection.
  • Aquatropics in Gainesville, go for equipment but not for advice.
  • Aqua Mart on US 1 in Titusville, fish only, real nice fella, into the hobby, nice place with nice selection of some quality stuff. Unfortunately, 3 1/2 hr trip from Lake City. I have family in Titusville, so I stop by when I'm down there.
  • Fish-Heads Aquatics in Ocala, Awesome! Family owned and operated, he breeds Discus and angelfish. Clean store, nice displays, awesome fish, limited supplies and equipment. Very nice folks.
That's about all I've found, so If you don't like to travel your stuck with the chain stores! The opinions expressed are mine based on my visits and experiences.
Tony F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
RAZmonkey
Planted Member

I'll have to check out that place in Jax. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
JSA
Algae Grower

Hey, nice to meet you both!

I have to agree with Tony on Aquatropics - the only one on his list that I've visited. Although, advice aside, I picked up some interesting plants there, and they had much better selection of fish than anyplace in Tallahassee.

In Tally, I like the PetCo fish dept. over the other choices, if only because their plants are not crawling with snails, and the sales people I've talked with actually keep aquariums at home. Jack there told me they will other less common fish. Since their shipment will include at least 6, the customer can choose which ones or none to buy. No shipping charges and if you don't like them, don't buy them. I'm thinking of getting some dwarf cichlids, but have been reluctant to do mail order, so this is sounding good.
Don't know if all PetCos do that though.

Julia
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
drsyn67

Hi Raz - I know this is me responding to your old post from last year, but here in Jacksonville Jolly's on the Westside is decent... they get in some okay plants and nice fish (FW and Salt). On the Northside, Pet Creations on North Main (just south of 9A and Main Street) has really good plants and used to have an amazing planted tank guru that worked there (sadly, he passed away). They still get in nice plants, but the fish selection for FW has dropped off. It is worth checking out, though. I was at AquaTropics yesterday and had a really good experience there. The guys I talked to knew their stuff and the Display Tank at the entrance (FW planted) is amazing. Really, really nice selection of plants... I mean - ALOT. I've been ordering from AZ Gardens for a while and was really happy with Aquatropics selection.
drsyn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
drsyn67

Hmmm.... just visited Pet Creations and Jolly's both yesterday. Pet Creations is practically a ghost town of supplies and plants - so skip it if you read this post. Jolly's has a lot of bad online reviews, but I have not had any bad experiences there. Plants are okay - supplies are decent.
drsyn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
thelyzardiam
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to thelyzardiam

I work at PetSupermarket on University most Thursdays, Friday and Saturday evenings. I just got back into my planted tank and if you ever have any questions, feel free to swing by and ask. We can also order plants for you specially if it is on our list. I'm always looking for people to talk to about planted tanks. Ask for Lyzette.
thelyzardiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

Welcome! If you get to the Tampa side of the state Marine Warehouse is pretty good.

If you can't find anything or don't feel like driving, I have have done a lot of business on here with no issues at all
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

I am in Jacksonville!! Brand new to Planted tank!!
There is
Petland on Hodges
Ocean Reef-you have to know what your doing.
I have heard there is a good store in St. Augustine and that is the place to get Fresh Water fish. But I don't know any names. Looking for some though .
Oceangirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hi! Also new to the site, but have been trolling and feeding off of the various threads for months.

I like jolly's, although you have to be mindful of the pricing. I'm still kinda in a 'DIY' state, but about to break the bank for some better aquarium gear.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Sandz
Algae Grower

Jollys price gouges. Go to Exotic Aquatics. Ask for Nick (the owner) and tell him Per Anderton sent you. They are a young shop with a small space but have amazing prices on salt, a good selection of male african peacocks and are willing to special order anything for you much less than any shop in the local area.

The one good thing about jollys is that they have the selection of general FW and Plants but they see you as a number more than anything. They have a good selection of young peacocks and mbuna if you know what you are looking at (they didnt even know how to sex them). They have a decent selection of other SW fish as well.
Sandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

http://www.facebook.com/northflorida.fishkeepers
Oceangirl is online now   Reply With Quote