DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 98
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #1456
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

There ya go dk
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1457
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
So what is it that you do to put them into "production" mode? What are you changing?
Well, first I induce berrying by bouncing their water in a controlled fashion (altering the water's mineral/ion profile). Anyone who's introduced shrimp into their tanks with plop-n-drop knows that a change in water can induce molting, which can induce berrying. The trick is to do this but not overly stress the shrimp. Of course, you can just put them into stable water and they will eventually breed, but you can actually manipulate the timing by doing a controlled water bounce.

Then, I set up the tanks such that there is a lot of cultured biofilm, which is why lately I haven't been posting too many pictures of shrimp as all my tanks are slimy and I want to keep them that way for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
AHh, ok DK, for KOREAN seaweed, we usually get this stuff made by choripdong in the bulk full sized sheets
Yes, I do realize my product is KOREAN, but I couldn't find any JAPANESE products that said anything about, well, basically, quality control. Which is why I would like an educated opinion about which JAPANESE products are good.

Quote:
There ya go dk
Oh, great. How do I google that? There's no english except roasted with grapeseed oil.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1458
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Ahh, well there is a difference in taste and texture between japanese and Korean nori, I'll get you her preferred japanese brand
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #1459
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Here are the brands my wife suggests :
Quote:
Nagatanien or yamamotoyama
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #1460
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Here are the brands my wife suggests :
Please thank her kindly for the consult!

IN OTHER NEWS:

General service announcement. Costco now carries BLACK RICE! WHOO-HOOO!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #1461
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
Please thank her kindly for the consult!

IN OTHER NEWS:

General service announcement. Costco now carries BLACK RICE! WHOO-HOOO!!!
We mix black rice 1 part to 10 of white rice, makes it nice and purple!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #1462
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
We mix black rice 1 part to 10 of white rice, makes it nice and purple!
Well, DK eats it straight, murky as it looks, almost scary. She loves to use black rice or red rice in soups. She also likes to use black sweet rice in her sushi rolls, which gives them an interesting look. She's not known for moderation, you know. I mean, she started out with a few cheapie cherry shrimp, and look where it's gone...

IN OTHER NEWS:

This morning, DK witnessed the aftermath of a massive Mermaid kegger, last night. Ever since she opened the Cashew Jar Department Store and the Mermaid Buffet Services and the O'Shrimporium Bar, I swear, those Mermaids have turned rogue on her and become... well... promiscuous. Look what she had to deal with, this morning. She's left to deal with all the abandoned shrimplets in the gravel cracks, as there are no Shrimp Protective Services in her sector....

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-12-2014 at 12:54 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #1463
Stillstudying

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default New Member

Hi, I've been lurking around here for about four months and today I stumbled across your thread. Wow! It is wonderful, your style of writing is very refreshing. Thank you. I even joined and subscribed (I'd seen that before but didn't know what it meant, know I do). So, I started reading this thread from the very beginning, I'm on 'page' 4 or so at this point. I noticed you've edited to remove your pictures. Will they show up later? Also, do you have any shrimp that get to be about the same size as Amano shrimp? But, thank you, thank you for such a wonderful thread. I'll keep reading but it will take me some time to get to the end ...
Michelle
Stillstudying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #1464
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ha dk i laughed so hard reading your new post i scared moose he was asleep beside me lol. i got the " what the heck was that for" look lol. hehe i will be the leader of the Shrimp Protective Services, hehe you can scoop them up and send them my way and i will find a good home for the little ones lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #1465
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillstudying View Post
Hi, I've been lurking around here for about four months and today I stumbled across your thread. Wow! It is wonderful, your style of writing is very refreshing. Thank you. I even joined and subscribed (I'd seen that before but didn't know what it meant, know I do). So, I started reading this thread from the very beginning, I'm on 'page' 4 or so at this point. I noticed you've edited to remove your pictures. Will they show up later? Also, do you have any shrimp that get to be about the same size as Amano shrimp? But, thank you, thank you for such a wonderful thread. I'll keep reading but it will take me some time to get to the end ...
Michelle
Well.

Welcome, Michelle.

May you catch the addiction, and I'm an enabler as well as co-addict. What an honor to receive your very first TPT post.

As you read through the thread, you will learn about DK's "squirrely brain" which needs to have regular pressure releases or else she goes insane, thus, this thread. Mostly, it's like yelling out into a big ol' echo chamber, my posts here, but sometimes a body chimes in and that, in the lyrics of the sound of music song Edelweiss, causes her ego to "bloom and grow, forever," so perhaps it's best that she preaches mostly to the silent masses. Or whoever the heck reads this. She has no idea who they are, 'cause most of them don't say anything...

The pictures... ah... yes. Well, when she started this thread, she had NO IDEA how long it would get. She has 90 MB of picture space allotted to her on TPT and has used it all up, mostly in this thread. So she wipes the beginning pictures as she needs space. You will also learn, reading this thread, that she's a hoarder, so this is an exercise against hoarding, wiping her earlier pictures, teaching herself that she cannot keep everything indefinitely. Yeah, that's it. She's working on her hoarding.

Um. Actually, I've never kept Amanos, so don't know what size they get. The biggest muthuz I have are Super Tigers, Black Tigers and Camo Tigers. But if you're asking because you want to put a LARGER shrimp in with FISH that will pester or eat them, re-think your model, from the shrimp's point of view. It's a level of Dantes Inferno, to do that to a shrimp, and try to "cure" the problem by using a larger shrimp. Like, if I asked you to move to North Korea, as a peasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
ha dk i laughed so hard reading your new post i scared moose he was asleep beside me lol. i got the " what the heck was that for" look lol. hehe i will be the leader of the Shrimp Protective Services, hehe you can scoop them up and send them my way and i will find a good home for the little ones lol
For you, C. Today's pathetic attempts at photography, through slimy glass and all. But DK is just enamored with broke blacks. They are so coo-el, and every one is different.

There are a few awesome T-Rex's in there right now (they are produced in very small numbers) but DK's efforts to get any decent pictures were in vain, this morning, they move too fast and are always blurry, grrrrrrrrrrrr! So these are not the coolest specimens, but the ones that held still. Up close to the glass.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #1466
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK waits for Liam (C'mon Liam, I'm counting on you to do the puzzle!! - or any other daring soul out there in the silent masses, who dares to solve her broke-black word puzzle).

If you need a hint, I can provide one...!!!

What does it spell, that is on DK's broke-black tiger, built into the unique markings in the picture in the post, above???

acchhorrs

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK ponders the next project, which has been forced upon her.

It isn't something she wants to do, but her well is forcing her, and, well (is that a pun??), I guess it's a challenge, so we do it. Time to dig through the bins & barrels of parts 'n' pieces. She already knows what she's looking for, it's just a matter of how she's gonna do it.

Probably will involve some plastics fabrication in her convection oven...

Stay tuned... for more m..a..d.. d..o..i..n..g..s.. to come.

Sigh.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #1467
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

I think I know

And I saw it on the shrimp before I even read the riddle, ha. Classic shape.

I was exposed to this testing as a child, maybe that's why it came to my mind instantly
Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #1468
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
I think I know

And I saw it on the shrimp before I even read the riddle, ha. Classic shape.

I was exposed to this testing as a child, maybe that's why it came to my mind instantly
I LOVE IT!!! You saw it too!!!!

Coo-el, huh.

DK sees things, in her shrimp. Actually, not limited to shrimp. She cannot have florals or woodgrains around her, as they make her crazy. She sees scenes in them. All her friends think she's dumpy, 'cause she wears only solids and stripes, never patterns or florals.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #1469
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

On the shrimp they look like angels to me. The Rorschach one looks like a blob. heh
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #1470
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

In the first shrimp picture, isn't the "backwards south america" another way of saying there is a tiger tooth on your black tigers?
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote