Blue and Red Shrimp? Together in Harmony?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Blue and Red Shrimp? Together in Harmony?

Hi,
I am new to shrimp and Happy to be here. I Just got my first batch of Cherry Shrimp. I actually have to return because, they are apparently so far below the standard of Cherry. They are almost feeder shrimp. I had them in their own tank for a month. No color, only little red lines on the sides? Anywho. They are going back to whence they came. I also have a few cherries from a good breeder, like maybe 12? That are beautiful! Bright red legs, bright red bodies, and one that is almost maroon.

The dilemma. I have a seller that is willing to give me a GREAT deal on some Blue pearls? What to do? Can I keep them with the Cherries? Will all the babies turn back into wild color or will some be blue? Red? Help a new girl out.

I might just get rid of the Cherries In a Random act to Kindness, to someone I know that got burned on some shrimp. If they will cause a problem.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yes, they will interbreed and make brown shrimp.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Have you seen blue pearl in person? Don't expect them to be very blue or you might be disappointed.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Have you seen blue pearl in person? Don't expect them to be very blue or you might be disappointed.
+1 I rather get Blue Velvets. And yes, when you join the two together, you will eventually get some wilds. If you like Blue/Red in shrimp, I recommend Blue Rilis. Tint of blue (better than Blue pearls imo) with red head/red tail.
You can mix them with cherries/fire reds too! Improves the color of the rili's head, and doesn't create any wild shrimp.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have some blue velvets and PFR's that interbred and the babies all have red heads and tails and blue middles.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

get orange eye blue tiger shrimp - super blue with bright orange eyes

can be put in with cherries

planetinverts.com

for all your shrimp info, including what species of shrimp not to put in with others (so you don't get brown shrimp......)
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
get orange eye blue tiger shrimp - super blue with bright orange eyes

can be put in with cherries

planetinverts.com

for all your shrimp info, including what species of shrimp not to put in with others (so you don't get brown shrimp......)
I wouldn't do that if I were you. OEBT are very FINICKY as said by other members. Although they "can" live in the same water as RCS, they are much harder than it seems. If you do want to tackle the challenge, research about them before you jump in.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

The only option is Blue pearl, its a really good deal. I am thinking, I'll be getting rid of my Cherries to a good home. And then getting the pearls. What if I accidentally miss a few pewees? Can I keep them for a while? What age do Red Cherries become mature enough to breed? I have it planted for now, plastic and real. Plus a couple females I think had babies. So, I might miss a couple littles.

I have seen the Blue Pearls in person. I think with the right diet, and with certain light they will look nice. I saw them in a planted tank, and the guy was keeping them with his cherries. One looked really pretty electric blue. The ones I'll be getting are light blue, icy slate blue. I keep the tank clean and I have a sponge covering the intake. I would love to get Blue jellys, Blue rilis, or even Orange eye tigers, but I am just getting into shrimp. I may just keep what I have. I really want the blue ones though .

Last edited by Oceangirl; 03-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Blue pearls =/= Blue velvets FYI. Blue Pearls are a variant of Neocaridina palmata. There are some reports they will hybridize with neos whereas some people have kept them together in the same tank without any problem. To be safe, keep them in separate tanks. They aren't a dark blue but more of an icy blue.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

are you sure the clear with stripes shrimp aren't just males? I have cheap RCS and the females are red with clear spots and the males are clear with red stripes.

But anyway, I agree you should get rili shrimp if you want both red and blue. I think you're going to be disappointed with blue pearls because they pretty much just look clear most of the time.
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Shrim'n
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I asked some breeder, if you want blue shrimps that wont make brown babies you should get blue rilli shrimps. From what I was told they will interbreed but they'll make other blue/red rilli or more cherries. Thats not my thoughts just sharing what seller told me when I asked.
Shrim'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

I am packing and shipping my Cherries off. As soon as the cold weather lets up. I have a local breeder that has them. Plus another gentleman that will be giving me some too. The ones locally look almost like blue jelly! I know how blue they are in real life. I saw them in real life at the LFS! I can't wait!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Blue rili's are a good choice if you want blue/red shrimp. I have over 400 and they are very cool. Great colors, active and very easy to care for. Some are all blue, some are red/blue/red, some are red/clear/red and a few are yellowish/green. Check em out.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

They all went to the great shrimp pond in the sky. They were doing great then suddenly had a die off. I lost pretty much all of them.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

What happened to cause that?
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote