Lighting is killing plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Lighting is killing plants

I am in need of a little help. I have the 20" 72W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series (FW/Planted) fixture on my 29G high. I have a few(3) plants in the tank itself(can't recall the names) and they seem to be ok except for some algae on the leaves(on one mainly). 2 of said plants are maybe 4 or 5 inches tall, the other is a crypt and is small(has algae, dark green looking). The main thing I'm worried about is the frogbit. Some of it is turning a yellow, I'm guessing my light is too much? I would like to raise the light up if this is my problem but the only idea I have is hanging it from the ceiling which I don't really wanna do. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you using CO2? High lighting REQUIRES CO2 or you will have major algae problems. It is possible your light is too much, and you need to raise it. Are you using fertilizers of any kind? When you go to high light everything changes in your tank. Your plants need to out-compete algae for light. The best way to do this is to give them a CO2 boost. When you give them CO2, they also need more food, hence the fertilizers. There is a TON of info on here about CO2 and fertz and different options for each. I would use the search bar and start researching!
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
pastert33
Algae Grower

Thank you for your response. I did have (2) 2L DIY btls setup but after changing out a btl it didn't produce so I need to set it back up but haven't had time. It's prob a leak somewhere but I'll be able to set up another DIY this weekend
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

lighting is not likely killing frogbit
it can handle full sun for hours on end.. however it does like a decent amount of nutrients in the water, Nitrates for sure

do you dose fertilizers at all?
another thing to consider is surface water movement. frogbit doesn't seem to do as well in tanks with lots of surface movement.
BUT i have seen it survive in more than one tank with plenty of surface movement so that's not likely a maor factor
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
pastert33
Algae Grower

I do not dose any fertilizers. Although I do have an AC70 and a SunSun 302 running on the tank(trying to get the SunSun seeded). There is a lot of surface movement but once I feel the SunSun is seeded, i'll take the AC70 off. On some of the frogbit, there are 3-4in runners with tiny hairs on them but other is yellowish.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33 View Post
I do not dose any fertilizers. Although I do have an AC70 and a SunSun 302 running on the tank(trying to get the SunSun seeded). There is a lot of surface movement but once I feel the SunSun is seeded, i'll take the AC70 off. On some of the frogbit, there are 3-4in runners with tiny hairs on them but other is yellowish.
I would get those DIY CO2 bottles back up and start dosing some type of ferts. EI dosing is suggested for high light tanks, but you could probably get by with flourish and/or root tabs. The route you take is up to you. Sounds like you more have a lack of ferts problem than anything else.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
pastert33
Algae Grower

What type of dosing is suitable for shrimp? Specificly cherry and tiger shrimps? Don't want to hurt them
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33 View Post
All your answers are there....

- Floaters are supposed to be nitrate hogs... In the absence of it, they will starve and turn pale

- A little surface movement will be fine but if you find them tumbling upside down or constantly spinning in the current, that's going to stunt their growth... this is likely applicable for generally most floaters.

- If the nutrient levels are low, the roots need not reach far to feed. if they are sending roots outwards, it means your water is fairly clean and devout of waste... but it also means they are being otherwise starved.

Start a dosing regiment which is appropriate for the plant density of the tank. minor dosing would work if you only have a few stems. EI and heavy dosing regiments are for those who take on a high maintenance setup. High light alone will not ruin your tank. its often not finding the right balance which drives the tank down to green algae road... or worse....

I wouldnt recommend EI for you, more so if you have dwarf shrimp in the tank... but its just my opinion...

Having shrimp in the tank and doing weekly water changes is certainly not recommended for a novice...