Hawaii "feeder shrimp"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Morbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hawaii "feeder shrimp"

Does anyone know the species name for these? Just want to confirm to see if these are normal ghost shrimp or just juvies of the shrimp that get very large and predatory. I live in Honolulu and see them in most pet shops (Petland, Pets Plus, Aquascapes, etc) Thanks!
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Feeder shrimp can be a number of species, without pictures and or a detailed description there is no way we can tell you what they are
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
KenP
Planted Member

Hopefully they are not Opae ula (Halocaridina rubra). Little red shrimp about one half inch long. A wonderful Hawaiian brackish water shrimp while not considered endangered its habitat is 90% destroyed by development and is under pressure by alien shrimp and alien fish.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Morbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Feeder shrimp can be a number of species, without pictures and or a detailed description there is no way we can tell you what they are
Sorry, I don't have any pics although I can possibly get some in the next few days. The main reason I asked here is because I'm aware that there are active members on this forum who work at these stores (specifically Petland Kahala and Aquascapes) or have friends who work there. Regardless I will get some pics the next time I am there.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
eightoeight
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm curious about these as well. I've seen them at Petland (Kahala), Coral Fish Hawaii (Aiea), and Kalihi Pet Center (Kalihi). I see some shrimp at Aquascapes, but I didn't think they sold them, but they did have Opae Ula for sale.

The last time I've been to the stores they only had a few left, or none at all though.

Some have blue-ish colors, some red, some just plain gray-ish. Many in the tanks were dead though...
eightoeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

There many species in Hawaii waters most of the shrimp u see are Atyoida bisulcata which is native to Hawaiian waters. What u see in stores Palaemonetes paludosus and Neocaridina heteropoda "wild" the neo's can morph to several different species " rilis, fire reds, Sakura reds, cherry reds, Sakura orange, yellow neos, snowball, and blue pearls. The stores import their feeders and get neos. Sometimes they get local opaes. All depends
daboss808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I always found this thread interesting.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-kalaole.html
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Morbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
There many species in Hawaii waters most of the shrimp u see are Atyoida bisulcata which is native to Hawaiian waters. What u see in stores Palaemonetes paludosus and Neocaridina heteropoda "wild" the neo's can morph to several different species " rilis, fire reds, Sakura reds, cherry reds, Sakura orange, yellow neos, snowball, and blue pearls. The stores import their feeders and get neos. Sometimes they get local opaes. All depends
That makes a lot of sense! Some of the feeder shrimp I purchased look very much like light cherry reds at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I always found this thread interesting.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-kalaole.html
Thanks for the link, that was indeed a very interesting read!