Looking for help on lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for help on lighting

Hello, I have a 72 gallon bowfront that I am planning on setting up as a planted tank. I am planning on keeping low to moderate light plants. At this time I have no plans of running CO2. I am interested in possibly using leds, the lower cost of running them along with not replacing bulbs each year is appealing. I would prefer something that could sit on top of the tank, since hanging a fixture is not exactly optimal with living in an apartment. Budget wise I would like to stay under $200, $150 or less would be even better, but I am willing to spend a little more now for something that will last and not need to be replaced in a year or two. Also I would like something that can work with a timer. Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions, I have been doing a lot of research and see that there are many options, would like to choose what would work best for my tank. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Get a Finnex Ray2
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

A 72 gallon bowfront is about 23 inches high, and about 48 inches long. A 48 inch long Finnex Ray2 would give you about 60-70 micromols of PAR, if you have 3 inches of substrate, and the light sitting right on top of the tank. That is high medium light. A Fugeray would give you about 45 micromols of PAR, which is still medium light, but low medium, a very good level to shoot for. It would take only one of those to light up the whole tank pretty uniformly. If you use the legs that come with the light, the PAR would drop to around 40. You will need to use Excel with that much light to have a good chance of avoiding lots of algae.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Looking for help on lighting

Thanks for the info, after looking at the site I am thinking the fugeray will probably work well for what I want to do. It also looks like it is a nicer light and better price than the marineland double bright fixture, and also fits nicely in with my budget.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote