Breeding Angels (Blues)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding Angels (Blues)

As I know, there is many different articles and threads about breeding angelfish. I have read a fair amount of them. They all seem to have different techniques and parameters needed which is understandable. My main question really is from peoples experiences, what is the main thing to focus on (diet, temp, water changes, slate/ceramics/plants, etc)?

I am new to breeding but would really like to give it a go. The angles I have had for just under a year laid eggs for the first time ever on Valentines Day (coincidence?). I am trying to give my Angels the best chance to feel comfortable and happy in their environments. I moved one pair to their own tank (20XH). The remaining 5 live in my 50 gallon. I have had an additional 10 gallon tank set up for hatching eggs without parents if I can get a pair in my 50 to start laying. Any thoughts or direction to articles I may not have read would be great.

Its been a while since I have been on here and excited to get back into it with a new challenge and goal. It helps that the owner of the LFS is really excited aka $$$ that I am trying to get into breeding angels.

Thanks for the help!
UGA_Grad_Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have bred blues also..... There is not just ONE thing to focus on. Its all about balance and keeping up with it.

Here is what i did.
Food: blood worms and New Spectrum pellets. Fed once a day, alternating food on days.
Temp: 70degrees F
Slate Plate
Single large plant like Sword in pott
One pair per tank at least 20 gallons
Good water Aeration
Water changes every 4-5 days with a GOOD water conditioner... not the cheap stuff.
I have bred in hard water above ph7.8, but it is easier to breed in water less than that.
Use a sponge filter like what is found on the angels plus site

The best article i have ever found regarding this is on angelsplus
http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleBreeding.htm
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

Ya bred them in 70degree water? Burr that sounds chilly. Anyone else have any suggestions. Doesn't have to be blues just any type of Angels.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Always overrun with fry here it seems.
3-5dGH, 2dKH water @ 79-82°F
Live or frozen foods and the potential for problems I don't use them.
I do have RCS here in 3-10g tanks and dump shrimp in tanks to 'push' a pair from time to time.
Hunting angelfish are happy angelfish.

Angels Plus food products and Ed's stuff.
http://www.angelsplus.com/
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/

Haven't purchased foods anywhere else in years now. Other than those two it's in house hatched BBS, RCS, guppy fry or mulch raised earthworms.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 03-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: *
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, a good diet, quality food (they LOVE live fish like baby guppies), and clean water is all if takes. I found that they're more likely to raise their fry in a planted tank than a bare one, but if you plan to raise the fry as fast as possible, I'd definitely recommend the bare tank over the planted one. Easier to keep clean.

The cooler water simulates the flood season in South America, stimulating courtship and spawning in many fish other than just cichlids. I'd raise the fry in 85˚F water, however, becasue the warmer the water, the higher the metabolism, and the more you feed, the faster they'll grow.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

I have been thinking about throwing in some of my baby guppies I have in my tank, but my only fear is if the Angels don't eat them...they will over run my tanks. Never feed live food to any of my fish, but this is always an option since I have a 10 gallon guppy tank upstairs (soon to become GBR love nest....hopefully)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
xaqdaddy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm sure there are many people here that parent-raise, and there are alot of good reasons why you should do that, but if I really wanted to grow out a hatch, I would pull the eggs and artificially incubate. There are many articles out there that can explain it better than I can.

If you have gotten them to spawn once, they will do it again. Just keep them well fed and in clean water. I always had luck at warmer temps when I had angels, but I won't counter what anyone else is doing.

Once you get a successful hatch, you have to be ready with Baby brine shrimp and water changes, water changes. For at the least the first 30 days post free-swimming, I would try to feed BBS two to three times a day, with a water change after each. Be very careful with matching your water parameters on changes.

If you dont get a successful hatch, dont worry about it for the first few times. New fathers make mistakes. If you dont get a successful hatch after that, try to catch them with their tubes down. Females have a cylindrical ovipositor, males's tubes are more conical. You can have two females that look like a pair, but obviously, you will get no fertilization going on.

Check out angelfish.net for more info/questions on breeding. Good Luck!
xaqdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
I have bred blues also..... There is not just ONE thing to focus on. Its all about balance and keeping up with it.

Here is what i did.
Food: blood worms and New Spectrum pellets. Fed once a day, alternating food on days.
Temp: 70degrees F
Slate Plate
Single large plant like Sword in pott
One pair per tank at least 20 gallons
Good water Aeration
Water changes every 4-5 days with a GOOD water conditioner... not the cheap stuff.
I have bred in hard water above ph7.8, but it is easier to breed in water less than that.
Use a sponge filter like what is found on the angels plus site

The best article i have ever found regarding this is on angelsplus
http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleBreeding.htm
78!!!!!! not 70... typo
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

msawdey, I thought 70 seemed a little chilly. For anyone who cares, the day after I moved my one pair to their own 20XH tank, they laid eggs! I would say maybe a little under 100, and only 2 weren't fertilized. So far on day two they have yet to eat the eggs, which I take as a good sign.

If they manage to hatch...is there any point I should move the little ones to the 10 gallon I have set up for breeding or just let the parents raise em up?? I would personally like to keep this tank for parent raised angels if thats even possible....thoughts?

O yea here is a pic of the eggs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0893.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	96514  

Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

let the parents raise... there is literally nothing cooler in fish keeping than seeing angelfish raise their fry. They are attentive, caring, and protective. You will develop a new found love for them
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

Should I remove this bunch of eggs to try artificial and then let the parents raise the second group? Or at least give this group a chance? Also if I parent raise, will the parents lay eggs again in a week or two with the juveniles swimming around?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

give them a chance.. its a learning experience for you as well as them... It took my last pair about 3 or 4 tries to get it right
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

4 Kuhli Loaches, 4 Otto, 2 S&P Cory were in with the pair thoughout the spawn and growout.

TAFF II monthly photo contests. June 2012 was Blacks.

Once you've lived through parent raising nothing is better (imo)
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love it
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how did you manage to feed the fry racer?