Unzan 75-P - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #61
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks really nice!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #62
davidj12
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That looks really nice!
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #63
Knicolas
Planted Member

What are those "clips" that you use to organize and attach your tubing to the walls inside your stand called? I looked all over Lowe's and couldn't find anything similar. Thanks.

edit*** nevermind I found it. I guess they're called "Garnder Bender Mounting Pads". Well, the one's I was looking for at least.

Awesome tank by the way, hopefully my next tank will be a 75-P!

Last edited by Knicolas; 02-27-2013 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: update
Knicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #64
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Yes, here's a link to Seachem's site and a couple of other to links to discussions from the Seachem forum on APC.

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/mineralize.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...questions.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...uilibrium.html
Thanks, very nice links. I appreciate it.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #65
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Tank is starting to look great. What is your lighting schedule like?
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #66
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
What are those "clips" that you use to organize and attach your tubing to the walls inside your stand called? I looked all over Lowe's and couldn't find anything similar. Thanks.

edit*** nevermind I found it. I guess they're called "Garnder Bender Mounting Pads". Well, the one's I was looking for at least.

Awesome tank by the way, hopefully my next tank will be a 75-P!
I know you already found them but I just wanted to let you know I found them in the electrical section at Home Depot. The were with all the zip-ties. I've seen them at Fry's Electronics too, again near the zip ties. I hope your next tank is a 75-p too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Tank is starting to look great. What is your lighting schedule like?
I'm burning my MH 8hrs a day right now. Have the Co2 coming on 1hr before the lights and turning off 1 hr before as well. My DC is lime green all the time these days and the plants start pearling about 30min after the lights come on.

BTW this is a good point for me to say how feaking awesome those wemo timers are. I've had to do a few little tweaks with the co2 timing and WOW they make it so much easier. I can make changes from my office on my iPhone if I wanted .
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #67
davidj12
Algae Grower

So it's been a while since I've started a new tank. My water parameters as of last night are:

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm ???
GH:4
KH:2

I would have thought by now I would have had at least some Nitrite.... How long does this usually take?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
ETK
Planted Member

If you have another established tank you can speed things up by transferring some good bacteria. Squeeze a dirty filter pad in front of the intake, or add some used media to the new filter.

(sorry if this has already been done. I didn't see it in the thread, but could have missed it.)

Last edited by ETK; 02-27-2013 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: typo
ETK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #69
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
If you have another established tank you can speed things up by transferring some good bacteria. Squeeze a dirty filter pad in front of the intake, or add some used media to the new filter.

(sorry if this has already been done. I didn't see it in the thread, but could have missed it.)
I want to so this but my other tank has BBA in it and I have been battling it for a year. I have taken a lot of steps to try and make sure that this does not transfer over to the new tank, new tools, washing my hands after touching it then the other etc.... this includes beneficial bacteria from the other filer. Guess it will just be a long wait.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #70
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
I want to so this but my other tank has BBA in it and I have been battling it for a year. I have taken a lot of steps to try and make sure that this does not transfer over to the new tank, new tools, washing my hands after touching it then the other etc.... this includes beneficial bacteria from the other filer. Guess it will just be a long wait.
Totally understand. I have a pretty new tank too, and I thought about doing the same thing. I took the other route, though, and decided that every conceivable algae will eventually find its way into my tank anyway , and I will just try to keep the nutrients, CO2 and light correct so that it doesn't become noticeable.

I went ahead and reused some substrate underneath a sand cap, as well as some filter media. So far so good, but my tank is still new, so fingers crossed!

BTW, do you go to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica? I love that huge square tank they have.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #71
OKnights112
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am not sure that you may not want to add any chemicals in your tank but I used the API Quickstart and seem to help my tank cycle a little faster. Still in the process but I have not had a huge ammonia spike since I started to use it. I made some large errors on the setup of my first tank but that is what makes this so fun.

Love the setup in your cabinet, wish mine look that cool. Love your scape and can't wait to see your plants grow in.

Last edited by OKnights112; 02-27-2013 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: added more information
OKnights112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #72
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
BTW, do you go to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica? I love that huge square tank they have.
I go there all the time and I love that tank! I'm going to decommission one of my smaller tanks and I'm donating my inhabitants to the big square tank. Probably better they live there then in my old Fluval Edge anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnights112 View Post
I am not sure that you may not want to add any chemicals in your tank but I used the API Quickstart and seem to help my tank cycle a little faster. Still in the process but I have not had a huge ammonia spike since I started to use it. I made some large errors on the setup of my first tank but that is what makes this so fun.

Love the setup in your cabinet, wish mine look that cool. Love your scape and can't wait to see your plants grow in.
Thanks!! I'll have to check out what's in that stuff.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #73
davidj12
Algae Grower

Default Week One

So It's been a week. All the plants look to be growing like crazy. I'm concerned that the HC is pearling so hard that the bubbles are lifting all the new shoots up! So far it's the plant that is growing the slowest for now.

With daily water changes the ammonia is 4ppm and nitrite is still 0ppm.... Not quite sure what that is all about, I would imagine that I should have at least some nitrites by now.

This is my first time dealing with Aqua Soil so, at this point I need to decide. Continue with the daily water changes or move to every other day... thoughts?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #74
ETK
Planted Member

HC seems slow at first, but once it builds up some more mass it really takes off. Exponential growth is like that. Once it doubles its mass once, (couple weeks?) then the next two weeks are really fun as it doubles again.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #75
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

What do you think about the inline diffuser? I am planning to get a new CO2 diffusion equipment (I currently have a huge, ugly, and noisy venturi in my tank right now LOL) and I want to hear your thoughts on your diffuser's efficiency.

Also nice job with the stem plants!
iter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75p, ada, unzan