Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #31
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I bought a simple water circulation pump today, smallest I could get was a 500GPH. My first thought is its WAY too much flow. I've been moving it around to try and get as much of the mulm off the substrate as possible, it seems to be working well. I cleaned out the Fluval filter, it was in need of a good cleaning as its not a real common occurrence.

I finally decided I am going to go ahead with the riparium plants! After a few messages back and forth with Devin/Hydrophyte he helped come up with a package for me. He was extremely helpful and very prompt with his responses to my barrage of questions. I told him what I was trying to achieve and he pointed me in the right direction. After looking through the list of compatible plants, I told him a couple that I thought would work. Devin came up with an idea for a group of plants and suggestions on how to plant them to create the best look. So, here are the plants that I've got on the way!

dwarf Cyperus
Laguncularia white mangrove
Lindernia - plant around white mangrove because the mangrove will grow slowly
Lysimachia 'Outback Sunset'
Ruellia 'Katie'
TWO Pilea aluminum plant
TWO Fittonia - one for trellis raft and one fore HOB
I'm pretty stoked about these plants and the prospect of turning this into more of a riparium! They will ship Tuesday, putting them here about Thursday!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #32
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've got tracking numbers for all packages that are on the way for this tank! Woo hoo!

I just went to town on Amazon. I purchased a TDS meter, pre-filter sponges, an API FW Master test kit along with a phosphate test, a fluval shrimp net as well as 00 gel capsules for osmocote root tabs! All just basic stuff, but I'm excited about it. Haha...

A quick update on the tank, circulation pump is way too strong! I've got canyons forming in my substrate. :/ I just keep redirecting the flow in hopes of clearing out more of the mulm. It's getting there. Dang, I guess I should have bought a smaller water circulation pump during my amazon shopping spree. Hahaha...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
A quick update on the tank, circulation pump is way too strong! I've got canyons forming in my substrate. :/ I just keep redirecting the flow in hopes of clearing out more of the mulm. It's getting there. Dang, I guess I should have bought a smaller water circulation pump during my amazon shopping spree. Hahaha...
It may not work for you, but one way I have found to reduce flow from a pump was to point it towards the glass. By the time the water bounces off the glass into multiple directions, it isn't as strong a current.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #34
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I will give that a try as these shrimp are gonna get tossed around like a skiff offshore! Haha thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2smart4u View Post
It may not work for you, but one way I have found to reduce flow from a pump was to point it towards the glass. By the time the water bounces off the glass into multiple directions, it isn't as strong a current.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So my shrimp arrived today, which is awesome! Super fast shipping! They look great too! Already bright red which is great considering most are pretty dang small. They are on a drip right now. I will post some pics of the whole process once it is complete.

I've gotta play with the powerhead prior to releasing the shrimp. See if I can calm the flow a little.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (139/100%)

You can also try angling the stream up at the water's surface to disperse it and that can create some nice ripples.

If you will have shrimp with a 500gph pump in the tank you will need a good intake sponge with a fine pore size.

Your box of riparium stuff is on the way.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #37
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well, I don't have to worry about the little power head too much today..... The ball that snaps into the suction cup mount broke off while adjusting the angle. I was barely applying pressure... I'll take it back the next time I'm out near petsmart.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #38
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Your box of riparium stuff is on the way.
Wooooohoooooo!!! I seriously can't wait! I am extremely excited about the contents of that box! I'm going to be stalking the mail man like a kid waiting for Santa!

Thanks again for all your help figuring out a plan for my tank!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Shrimp arrived, and many died once in the tank. Test kits showed up yesterday but it was a crazy day so I will be testing the water momentarily. All the riparium plants and supplies arrived too. They are planted and hung. Pics to follow!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #40
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's 20L PFRs With Planted HOB-Riparium Plants arrive this week!

So it's been a crazy few days. The PFRs arrived prior to my test kits. Which, unfortunately, meant that my incorrect params lead to many deaths. I spent most of my day today focusing on correcting water parameters. I used RO water mixed with a small amount of tap water to do a 50% water change, fixing my water issues.

While I don't see any shrimp, I know I didn't fish out anywhere near 40 dead shrimp. :/

On a good note, my riparium plants and supplies arrived from Devin! I planted everything late last night. Note to self, unpack everything prior to beginning planting! I got two planters planted before I found the root tabs. So I took them apart and added the root tabs. I planted things as suggested by Devin. I haven't decided if I like the arrangement of the planters yet. So I am open to suggestions!

I've gotta make new cables for hanging my light. The old level is too low, the only other height I can currently hang the light is way too high.

Now time for pics!

Well, it was time for pics, but my photo stream hasn't updated from my phone to my iPad.... So I guess I've gotta switch to my phone...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #41
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's 20L PFRs With Planted HOB-Riparium Plants arrive this week!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

20L tanks, like 40G Breeder tanks, always seem to get that odd 3/4 view of the tank unless you put them on a stand that is a foot or so higher than tank stands usually are.

Going with plants rising out of the aquarium is a great option to take advantage of the unusual viewing angles that these tanks usually end up with.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #43
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Many powerheads/submersible pumps have a ton of intake/outflow connection options because they are used for multiple things.

What I would suggest is to adapt a canister filter 'spray bar' to hook up to the outflow of your powerhead. Run the spray bar across the back of the tank (or from front to back on one side depending upon how you want the flow in the tank) like you would one of those old bubble wands that we all had in our tanks as children.

You can build them from PVC as well but it won't look as nice. Might be able to do the whole thing (if you already have a drill and small drill bit) for under $10 if your powerhead has an attachment that mates the size of the outflow tube to the PVC pipe (or you find some sort of cheap plumbing adapter that does the same thing). Home Depot has some PVC pre-cut to 24" I think for like $2 so in a 30" tank you wouldn't even have to mess with cutting the pipe. Just get a plug/end cap for the far end, something to attach it to the outflow on the powerhead and try to find some generic aquarium suction cup C clamp things to hold the PVC pipe to the wall of the aquarium.

This would actually be more effective for creating current in all parts of the tank as well as greatly decreasing the blast in any one location.

--------------

If you have a powerhead with a good sponge filter pre-filter on its intake (I love the ATI Filter-Max Pre-filter ones personally and they have adapters for a ton of angles and tube diameters) and you place it on the opposite end of the tank from the HoB and find a way to spread the flow out you should be in great shape in terms of filtration and I wouldn't even think that you would need the fluval internal filter any longer.

Last edited by madness; 03-04-2013 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: additions
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #44
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Many powerheads/submersible pumps have a ton of intake/outflow connection options because they are used for multiple things.

What I would suggest is to adapt a canister filter 'spray bar' to hook up to the outflow of your powerhead. Run the spray bar across the back of the tank (or from front to back on one side depending upon how you want the flow in the tank) like you would one of those old bubble wands that we all had in our tanks as children.

You can build them from PVC as well but it won't look as nice. Might be able to do the whole thing (if you already have a drill and small drill bit) for under $10 if your powerhead has an attachment that mates the size of the outflow tube to the PVC pipe (or you find some sort of cheap plumbing adapter that does the same thing). Home Depot has some PVC pre-cut to 24" I think for like $2 so in a 30" tank you wouldn't even have to mess with cutting the pipe. Just get a plug/end cap for the far end, something to attach it to the outflow on the powerhead and try to find some generic aquarium suction cup C clamp things to hold the PVC pipe to the wall of the aquarium.

This would actually be more effective for creating current in all parts of the tank as well as greatly decreasing the blast in any one location.

--------------

If you have a powerhead with a good sponge filter pre-filter on its intake (I love the ATI Filter-Max Pre-filter ones personally and they have adapters for a ton of angles and tube diameters) and you place it on the opposite end of the tank from the HoB and find a way to spread the flow out you should be in great shape in terms of filtration and I wouldn't even think that you would need the fluval internal filter any longer.

I've got more of a circulation pump(think what you'd see in a sw set up) than a powerhead. I will look at it to see if it can be adapted much. Though now that you've brought up the idea, I could probably build a spray bar for the U3! Hmmm.... Something to consider... My biggest issue w/ the Fluval U3 is that it is difficult to hide. I considering keeping an eye out for a cheap or used canister filter. I'd like the ability to add an inline UV filter/starlizer or co2 items in the future if I wanna go that route. The other option is to go with a basic dual sponge filter...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #45
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
20L tanks, like 40G Breeder tanks, always seem to get that odd 3/4 view of the tank unless you put them on a stand that is a foot or so higher than tank stands usually are.

Going with plants rising out of the aquarium is a great option to take advantage of the unusual viewing angles that these tanks usually end up with.
Thanks I can't wait to see how the riparium plants fill in! They are already starting to show a little new growth, which is totally awesome!

I am sure this is just the beginning of my long adventure with the whole riparium concept!

Tags
hydrophyte, painted fire red, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks