Terrible First Fish Experience
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Terrible First Fish Experience

It was a sad start to my day today unfortunately. I was finally able to add fish so I picked up 2 Zebra Danios yesterday, went through the acclimation process and eventually got them in my tank (no funds for QT tank yet). They looked happy as could be, chasing each other around, twirling through the grass and loving the water current from my pump. I had one larger female and one smaller male, my girlfriend decided to name them to add to our attachment issues lol. Well my pump was acting as my co2 diffuser and when I woke up this morning, I couldn't find the female (ratatouille) and my heart sunk. I checked the bottom of the pump and to my dismay, there she was cut in half staring at me :

This is my first time keeping fish and it made me surprisingly sad, I was just hoping for some reassurance from this unfortunate event! I placed the cover plate back on the pump and ordered a co2 diffuser this morning.
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Fishmommy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aww, that's too bad. I feel your pain.
I have cried over fish small and large.
All you can do is move on and continuously improve the environment for these magical little creatures

I once cut a loach in half while aquascaping....never felt so low.
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Trust me I know the feeling, I forgot to add Prime the first bucket (3.5g of 12 that I was replacing) of several that I was using to refill a tank after an extensive cleaning and the next thing I knew I had three dead danio's.

Fortunately it only took me a few seconds to realize what must have happened and I immediately added some Prime in, however it taught me to always make adding Prime the first thing I do to water after getting it from the tap and setting it down on the floor.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Terrible First Fish Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmommy View Post
Aww, that's too bad. I feel your pain.
I have cried over fish small and large.
All you can do is move on and continuously improve the environment for these magical little creatures

I once cut a loach in half while aquascaping....never felt so low.
Oh no, that's terrible! I suppose this isn't the first time it'll happen I just need to be much more careful. I'm picking up a couple more friends for the 1 zebra I have left in there today so he doesn't go crazy.

My 40B Work In Progress
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I left an Otocinclus stuck in my filter intake tube for over a week... finally took the filter apart and there were some molly fry and a few guppies hanging out in the bottom of the canister too, doh.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I put four discus in a bucket pith a heater and a few (quite a few) plants overnight while I redid their tank, forgetting that plants put out CO2 at night.... terrible mistake. Terrible. I swore I'd never keep discus again... now I have a pair. Jus' keep on truckin'!

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
I put four discus in a bucket pith a heater and a few (quite a few) plants overnight while I redid their tank, forgetting that plants put out CO2 at night.... terrible mistake. Terrible. I swore I'd never keep discus again... now I have a pair. Jus' keep on truckin'!
Dang! I don't blame you though, great fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
I left an Otocinclus stuck in my filter intake tube for over a week... finally took the filter apart and there were some molly fry and a few guppies hanging out in the bottom of the canister too, doh.
Were the guppies and molly fry still alive at the bottom?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Terrible First Fish Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Were the guppies and molly fry still alive at the bottom?
Yep. Didn't phase them.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Will plants really put out enough Co2 for that to happen? Did u have a filter on it?
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Can't see plants pushing CO2 to toxic levels, especially for Amazonian fish.
Wild caught have adapted to very nasty swings of O2 and CO2 in the habitat. (Val et al,2006; Fish Physiology: The Physiology of Tropical Fishes, Volume 21)

Perhaps the commercial breeding has reduced this trait but they still seem to handle very long shipping times in crowded bags.

Plants will respire at night, and I have seen fish skimming at night but fine during the day. Perhaps that and the small bucket surface area may have led to hypoxia / anoxia or maybe he just hated the bucket so he kicked it.
(sorry)
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Yep. Didn't phase them.
Haha it's amazing what fish are capable of.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You really should get yourself a quarantine tank or you may find yourself with many sad moments in the future.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
You really should get yourself a quarantine tank or you may find yourself with many sad moments in the future.
You're right, my quarantine tank would have stopped the fish from getting sucked into the pump....
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
You're right, my quarantine tank would have stopped the fish from getting sucked into the pump....
No, it wouldn't have. But it would prevent a possible infection that can come from new fish. Don't bash the value of a qt tank, just wait until you get a fish with TB and have to euthanize an entire tank.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
No, it wouldn't have. But it would prevent a possible infection that can come from new fish. Don't bash the value of a qt tank, just wait until you get a fish with TB and have to euthanize an entire tank.
I'm not bashing the value of a QT tank but I stated in the original post that I don't have the funds for one right now. People repeatedly telling me to get one isn't going to make money magically appear to go get the equipment to set one up.

My plan as of right now is to find a good deal on a 40 breeder in the semi-near future and set up my 10 gallon as my QT tank.