Most Likely Ich, How to Treat & Avoid?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Most Likely Ich, How to Treat & Avoid?

Hey folks, there's many topics on Ich, I know, but I'm unfortunately unable to set up a hospital any time soon and one of my Zebra Danios appears to have an Ich spot on one of It's fins. I just brough a few of these little guys home from Petco today (not surprised to see Ich but I did my best to pick out the healthiest looking ones).

What are some basic methods to treat this little guy without harming the other Danios or my plants?

Can I safely treat within my 10 gallon and rid it of Ich eventually so I ca have peace of mind adding new fish later?

Thanks for any info, I'm very new to the hobby and disease is somewhat daunting but I'd like to learn how to control it before it becomes an epidemic or a further problem in the future.
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Just a note for the future, but if some fish in a tank are showing signs of Ich, then they all have it, but you just can't see it in some fish right away.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Just a note for the future, but if some fish in a tank are showing signs of Ich, then they all have it, but you just can't see it in some fish right away.
Ah ok, any suggested treatments? I've turned the heat up a bit around 82F to speed up the life cycle, any medications I should pick up?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, to avoid using chemicals, can I safely run my water at 83F without adding stress to the fish? I'm running a Tetra EX30 and a Rio 200 pump in a 10 gallon, I hope thats enough flow to keep the oxygen levels optimum for the fish.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'm currently treating one of my tanks for this (I actually got lazy and didn't quarantine one of my newly bought fish ). Anyway, I've pulled out all the fish into separate containers and cranked up their water temp to 85F and then added aquarium salt to each of them. Along with 100% water changes daily.

I'm trying to rid it without using chemicals as well. So far one of the fish appears to be ick free for 2-days now....so it definitely looks like this conservative method works.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I'm currently treating one of my tanks for this (I actually got lazy and didn't quarantine one of my newly bought fish ). Anyway, I've pulled out all the fish into separate containers and cranked up their water temp to 85F and then added aquarium salt to each of them. Along with 100% water changes daily.

I'm trying to rid it without using chemicals as well. So far one of the fish appears to be ick free for 2-days now....so it definitely looks like this conservative method works.
Great news! I have 5 danios so no where to keep them seperated At this point I've cranked the heat up to 84F, I'll pick up aquarium salt tomorrow and do 50% WC daily so I don't stress them out too bad.

Thanks for the first hand advice!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
FaceWise
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm four days into ich treatment in my 20 gallon community tank. I raised the temperature to 84 F, added one tablespoon of aquarium salt per five gallons of water, began dosing Melafix (to prevent secondary infections), and I am changing about 30% of the water daily.

I have noticed no adverse effects on the health of any fish or snails as a result of the treatment. To my surprise, even the newly hatched kribensis fry seem unaffected. That said, although the white nodules quickly receded in accordance with the life cycle of the parasite, a small number of new nodules continue to appear on some fish. Is typical during the first few days of treatment?

Most of my bronze Cryptocoryne wendtii plants melted almost completely soon after the salt was added. My larger green C. wendtii plants are losing a few leaves. Other plants - Anubias, java fern, small swords - don't look worse for wear. Best of luck to all of you!
FaceWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
papwalker
Planted Member

Read...
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius
Gold plated advice with science not myth.
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Youreconfusingme

Default Ich

Hey guys, i practically did the same thing yall did, per suggestion of the lfs but without the water change.i have a 72 bowfront, with 24 red head tapagos, 12 angels, and 6 clown plecos, with about half the red head showing horrible signs. Anyway, told the worker my situation and the livestocks, he suggested to turn the heater up to 85 and add about half the box of sea salt( box was probably 5x3x1), and should get rid of it in about 2 days. After 2 day, i didn't see much much result so i decided to add another quarter of salt. About 2 days later, i was ich free. So total was 4 day
Youreconfusingme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Great read, thanks. Quite informative & updated info about a disease that is as old as the aquarium trade itself.

Good to know that if you have a planted tank, you can just let it sit (taking out all fish) and allow the parasite itself to starve to death in a week or so after the temp is turned up. I really didn't want to start throwing chemicals into my heavily & longspent planted tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
Read...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Great read, thanks. Quite informative & updated info about a disease that is as old as the aquarium trade itself.

Good to know that if you have a planted tank, you can just let it sit (taking out all fish) and allow the parasite itself to starve to death in a week or so after the temp is turned up. I really didn't want to start throwing chemicals into my heavily & longspent planted tank.

Yes, Colin has been doing fish for a very long time, 50 years +
His web site (IMO) is the most informative on the web. I tried to get him to publish it as an e-book but he loves the dynamic nature of the web.
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
Read...
What an amazing write up and phenomenal citations. I'll most likely be adding some salt tonight and continue that for a week or so just to be sure. I love that all the ich myths were discredited in one fell swoop in that article haha

Thanks for the insight pap
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceWise View Post
I'm four days into ich treatment in my 20 gallon community tank. I raised the temperature to 84 F, added one tablespoon of aquarium salt per five gallons of water, began dosing Melafix (to prevent secondary infections), and I am changing about 30% of the water daily.

I have noticed no adverse effects on the health of any fish or snails as a result of the treatment. To my surprise, even the newly hatched kribensis fry seem unaffected. That said, although the white nodules quickly receded in accordance with the life cycle of the parasite, a small number of new nodules continue to appear on some fish. Is typical during the first few days of treatment?

Most of my bronze Cryptocoryne wendtii plants melted almost completely soon after the salt was added. My larger green C. wendtii plants are losing a few leaves. Other plants - Anubias, java fern, small swords - don't look worse for wear. Best of luck to all of you!
Not sure if that was meant to be a question at the end of the second paragraph but new spots in the first couple days sounds like it would be normal. The increased water temp speeds up the ich's metabolism and life cycle so the immature parasites expand to the visible "white dot" stage much quicker than they normally would then die off after that.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Crank heat to 88F for three weeks. I've been doing this for years with consistently excellent results.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Crank heat to 88F for three weeks. I've been doing this for years with consistently excellent results.
Have you had success with Danios? They tend to prefer cooler water and 88F seems like it would stress them out a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.