I lost a fish...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
reconmarui
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I lost a fish...

No like, I literally lost it. It was a small white cloud minnow who looked sickly when I got it. I think it was a female, she was slightly buldgeing. Do pregnant white cloud minnows ever hide for a few days? Before I lost it she was barely swimming towards the top of the water. Thus I am ruling out the possibility of its jumping it's own body weight over te edge. It was really weak, and I'd it jumped I don't think my cat got it, he is rarely in my fish room unsupervised and the door is always closed plus the tank is up really high on a bookshelf he can't access. I have 3 volcano rocks I moved the one I thought he's be under it has a type of cave. He or she wasn't. The other two rocks I pretty much have full visibility. I don't want to move them as their fit tightly in the tank, and I don't wanna disturb my croytocrne as I have already lost one to bad crypt melt, hoping it will grow back. Haven't seen fish in 2 or 3 days. Maybe the other two minnows and a gang of about 8 ghost shrimp devoured him? Anyone have any ideas? I don't want I tear the tank apart and it's a small fish so in thinking the shimo will scavenge the body. If I can't find the while fish is my tank going to die? Or is the dead fish going to release valuable nutrients also it's not floating on the top, i checked. Although I think it's a common misconception that all dead fish float...
reconmarui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
reconmarui
Algae Grower

Default I lost a fish...

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...AvailInUS%2FNo. That is the filter I use the smallest one (2.5 gallon tank) it has a sort of grid at the bottom of the inlet opening and isn't very strong at all, plus it is quite close to the substrate so I don't think that is it...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

You might check your filter, but that is an air driven filter...so if she is in there, she was probably dead before she got sucked up into it. If you don't find her and your tank is well established, the shrimp and tank will take care of it for you. Some people actually start the cycling process with dead stuff.
jrlyons21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Little fish go fast. your shrimp eat it. Do you have snails in the tank? They will take care of a dead small body in no time. Somethings over night.

Someone eat it happens all the time. I did have a fish go missing has no clue where it was. I found it all dry and in a dark corner I some how over looked it. It was a pictus cat too about 3.5". I have been keeping fish for over 10 fish will go missing from time to time. weird stuff happens.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
reconmarui
Algae Grower

Default I lost a fish...

I don't like mysteries but I guess 8 ghost shrimp could make quick work of a body, I definately don't think it jumped out. Also I have no snails, I stay far away from those things.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
iant
Planted Member

it happens to every fishkeepers. one time I brought home 6 julii cory and dumpped it in my QT tank counted them and there was only 5. went back and complained to my LFS so they gave me another. A week after, I rescape and found its bones lol. Another time I had multiple fish disappear. I thought my fish are being abducted by aliens. Turns out my internal filter was collecting specimens though I could still not figure out how they got in the filter. If your filtration is good then there's nothing to worry about other than the lost fish
iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
gt turbo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iant View Post
it happens to every fishkeepers. one time I brought home 6 julii cory and dumpped it in my QT tank counted them and there was only 5. went back and complained to my LFS so they gave me another. A week after, I rescape and found its bones lol. Another time I had multiple fish disappear. I thought my fish are being abducted by aliens. Turns out my internal filter was collecting specimens though I could still not figure out how they got in the filter. If your filtration is good then there's nothing to worry about other than the lost fish
Abducted by aliens. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I must agree fish just disappear. I recently acquired some GBRs and placed them in my holding tank. It was at night in my little fish room outside, I put all the fish in the tank and did a quick count and ran back inside. The next day I checked the fish, and one was missing. I searched up and down the room, checked behind the tank, under tank decor, everywhere. No fish!

On a whim i decide to just check the net and i found four scales and a fin. The fish got stuck in the net and I didn't notice, although when I checked the tank that night I swore i counted all. I've been keeping fish for 22 yrs.
gt turbo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

5 inches of Ghost Knife was consumed to the bones by my army of glass shrimp. Fed him in the morning before work and when I got home around 3 in the afternoon he was eaten to the tip of his tail just a little black and white patch at the end....
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.