Please suggest something to feed my kuhli loaches in
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
mindy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please suggest something to feed my kuhli loaches in

My congo tetras keep eating the sinking pellets (after they have had their fill of golden pearls!)

I need to get something to put some sinking pellets in so my loaches can get in and eat but the tetras can't.

I was thinking about getting a piece of pvc from the hardware store but I am worried since I won't be able to see in there I won't really know if they are able to get in and get the food.

What do you guys use?
mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

As i started reading this i was thinking "didnt we go through this already?", but then you mentioned the GP's. lol I still have a hard time believing the tetras are getting everything before the loaches get some. You had corries too right? Are they eating them?

I think your idea with the pvc, or something similar would work. Like we said before, maybe with something besides the GP's. I dint know what your tank looks like, but a piece cut to the right size seems like it work. Just put it where you can atleast see the entrance, monitor for awhile, and then remove it some time later. The best you can do is experiment. The only way you will know for sure might be the nice rounded bellies of your kuhli's.
VisionQuest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I have kuhlis with Congos and never feed them anything extra. One is seven years old.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks

We did go through this I got golden pearls and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and the congos are glowing they are so bright.

Maybe I just worry too much. I have biggish gravel in my tank so I am worried that they loaches can't get the food from between the pieces of rock because it falls too far down. I don't know.

My loaches are brand new because I only had one before so they are tiny and I am worried they aren't getting enough food. I have been dropping the pellets in after the light has been out for a while hoping the tetras were asleep but one or two always seem to wake up and chase the pellets. :S

I did have cories but I returned them to the store last week with my pleco. I wasn't having really great luck with them, I lost 3 for unknown reasons, so I only had 2 left. They started laying eggs and mucking up the water (the eggs never hatched ) so I thought they might be happier in a tank with more of their kind.

Right now in my tank is 5 kuhli loaches and 6 congo tetras. In my 66 gallon tank :S I can't wait to get more fish! I am going into town again tomorrow and will bring home 5 otos (have been leaving the diatoms on the glass to have some good food for them when they get here!) if I don't go into labour before then! Haha!

My tank is a peninsula tank so only one short side is against the wall. Of course that is the area that they like to hang out so I am not sure if it will be really easy to get the pvc in there so I can see in it. I will go to the hardware store today to get some. What diameter do you think would be good? Is there anything I should do to it first to make sure it is safe to put in my tank?

I am planning to put sinking pellets in the pvc. I tried to order some Repashy food and found a supplier in Canada but when I tried to order from them there was a problem with their site. I contacted them (2-3 weeks ago now??) and never ever heard back. Apparently they don't want to sell product that badly. :S
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

you could aways give them boiled zucchini

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Kuhli loaches? I thought they were meat eaters?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Feed the loaches after the lights have been out for a while.

I have both kuhlies and congos as well, kuhlies always seem to get their share. But I have a heavily planted tank, drop the pellet in a thick clump of plants, my congo's will never attempt to navigate the crypt where the kuhlies live
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

I have never tried anything like this, so im only making educated guesses really. But I dont think you really have to see in it to know its working. I think if you could just see the entrance to it, and have the patience to sit and watch, you would know if the loaches are going in and eating. If you really wanted to see in it, you might be able to find something clear besides pvc to use? The only thing i can think of besides pvc (with the same basic shape) would be a glass test tube. Or maybe a novelty type shot glass? I dont know, there are probably lots of things that will work. But again, I dont think you really have to see inside to know its working. For pvc I would just try 1/2" or 3/4", especially if they are really small. I dont know if they have to be able to turn around in it, or just back out, again im just making educated guesses. You dont have to do anything special to it before putting it in your tank. Maybe just wash wash of the dirt or dust that is more than likely on it. Im lazy, i probably wouldnt even do that. lol

I have really been wanting to try the Repashy for awhile now. I have always been intrigued by gel foods, and this seems to be a super high quality food. I havnt pulled the trigger on it yet though, mostly because I dont have a ton of fish right now, and the ones I do have already get a pretty good variety and they arent difficult to feed in the least. And my shell dwelling cichlids are breeding too much as it is, im afraid if i feed them any better they are going to explode the 10g they are in. haha

I agree with you though, if the seller wanted your money bad enough they would get back to you. Im the same way as you, if they dont get back to me I dont sweat it, there is always someone else willing to take it no problem. I think I know of a place that will ship to Canada, if you want the link let me know...

That is if you dont pop first. lol Early congrats on that one!
VisionQuest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys

I have been dropping the pellets in after the light goes out. Maybe they are getting enough food and I am just stressing for no reason. Haha!

The novelty shot glass is a much better idea than I had. I was thinking of "borrowing" my husband's glass guitar slide... I don't think he would like that one! Haha!

I think I will probably wait on the Repashy food for a while. The golden pearls really seem to be doing wonders for the congos. They look fantastic. They still aren't full grown but the males' fins are growing in so good and I can see their colours flashing from across the room.

I wish my tank was densely planted right now. I have been having issues with my plants lately. I don't know what is going on. I am hoping to get some good, easy plants tomorrow (if it's possible! haha!) They didn't have any ones that were any different than what I have now when I was there last week. I think I need to get some root tabs. I am using Comprehensive but I don't know, maybe it isn't enough. The leaves are melting off of one of my plants (not sure what it is) but it is growing new sprouts down below. It is also kind of flowing out to the side so there are more shoots going up from the side of the stems. My crypts are doing good and my swords are starting to make a come back after my BBA battle. The only thing growing really well is my lacy java fern. I raised my light up from my tank a little about a month ago and I think maybe I raised it too high. I took the screen off the top of my tank (still have glass, the screen was to block some light... darn algae!) and now it seems like the plants are slowly doing better.

Thanks for the early congrats! It is quite exciting. And still very unreal. Haha!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
I have been dropping the pellets in after the light goes out.
This should work fine. My kuhlis got plenty to eat even when they had botias living in their tank.

Quote:
Maybe they are getting enough food and I am just stressing for no reason.
You probably are.

Botias and kuhlis are just some loaches that are omnivorous. I make sure that there are veggies in some of the flakes and pellets I feed.

Good luck with the plants.

Last edited by Loachutus; 02-26-2013 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: ...
Loachutus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
Kuhli loaches? I thought they were meat eaters?

Kind of omnivores. Hillstream loaches love boiled veggies
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks.

Maybe I will drop in a piece of algae wafer every now and then?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
Thanks

We did go through this I got golden pearls and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and the congos are glowing they are so bright.

Maybe I just worry too much. I have biggish gravel in my tank so I am worried that they loaches can't get the food from between the pieces of rock because it falls too far down. I don't know.

My loaches are brand new because I only had one before so they are tiny and I am worried they aren't getting enough food. I have been dropping the pellets in after the light has been out for a while hoping the tetras were asleep but one or two always seem to wake up and chase the pellets. :S

I did have cories but I returned them to the store last week with my pleco. I wasn't having really great luck with them, I lost 3 for unknown reasons, so I only had 2 left. They started laying eggs and mucking up the water (the eggs never hatched ) so I thought they might be happier in a tank with more of their kind.

Right now in my tank is 5 kuhli loaches and 6 congo tetras. In my 66 gallon tank :S I can't wait to get more fish! I am going into town again tomorrow and will bring home 5 otos (have been leaving the diatoms on the glass to have some good food for them when they get here!) if I don't go into labour before then! Haha!

My tank is a peninsula tank so only one short side is against the wall. Of course that is the area that they like to hang out so I am not sure if it will be really easy to get the pvc in there so I can see in it. I will go to the hardware store today to get some. What diameter do you think would be good? Is there anything I should do to it first to make sure it is safe to put in my tank?

I am planning to put sinking pellets in the pvc. I tried to order some Repashy food and found a supplier in Canada but when I tried to order from them there was a problem with their site. I contacted them (2-3 weeks ago now??) and never ever heard back. Apparently they don't want to sell product that badly. :S
Order the Repashy from Tasty Worms. He ships all over the world.

My cories are all over it, and the tetras don't seem to cruise the bottom. (Although I don't think the cories would let them into the feeding frenzy.)
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ken's Veggie sticks, during the night - the kuhlis go nuts for them, and when they break into dust the bigger fish can't eat the little pieces but the kuhlis still can.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I will look into those 2 suggestions.