CTPK Bettas - Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Woolly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CTPK Bettas - Questions

I've been posting similar threads in a number of venues and no one seems to be able to give me any concrete answers concerning this type of fish. I'm hoping to come across someone who has one that can answer a few simple questions.

These questions are pretty straight forward:

How big do they get?
Do they have any special needs?
Is the care pretty much the same as a normal betta?
temperament towards invertebrates and other smaller fish?
Are they as hardy as other bettas?

It has been suggested that I get a betta for my planted tank since I am looking for a showy fish to compliment my dwarf crayfish at the bottom. I know many people keep bettas and crays together fine... but the CTPK variant isn't your average betta. I'm highly considering getting one from a breeder but before I do I need to know the simple facts.

I hope someone is able to give me a few answers about these pretty fellows.
Woolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Myrr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly View Post
I've been posting similar threads in a number of venues and no one seems to be able to give me any concrete answers concerning this type of fish. I'm hoping to come across someone who has one that can answer a few simple questions.

These questions are pretty straight forward:

How big do they get?
Do they have any special needs?
Is the care pretty much the same as a normal betta?
temperament towards invertebrates and other smaller fish?
Are they as hardy as other bettas?

It has been suggested that I get a betta for my planted tank since I am looking for a showy fish to compliment my dwarf crayfish at the bottom. I know many people keep bettas and crays together fine... but the CTPK variant isn't your average betta. I'm highly considering getting one from a breeder but before I do I need to know the simple facts.

I hope someone is able to give me a few answers about these pretty fellows.
It's a misconception that tail types are almost like different breeds. In reality, no specific tail type is more aggressive, etc. than any other splenden, though it's fair to say that PKs and other shorter tails are more zippy and perhaps more ABLE to be mean than others

Their size depends on the strain. It could be very small if the line is small, but if the line is large or the line is "giant" or "king", then really, really big!

I cannot imagine they need special things- if it's a large fish or "giant", then they need much more space. Typically, they require a minimum of 5g to fare well. They should be good swimmers since their tails are short. Avoid "humpy" ones or ones with deformed backs/faces.

The care is exactly the same! Minimum should be a 2g tank, careful of stock. They're not fond of lots of current, even with shorter fins.

Temperment can be variant: can have a nice one or a mean one, but chances are, you're gonna get a typical, aggressive betta splenden. Avoid nippy fish, other aggressive fish, fish smaller than it's mouth, and flashy, long tails. Of course, other bettas (female or male) and gouramis. With inverts, it's hit or miss. They do kill shrimp but if well-fed enough and in enough space, they'd be better off. If you're looking to rear shrimp then I wouldn't recommend a splenden.

They're usually just as hardy, but some Thai-bred fish may be weaker. I would say many are. It's hit and miss unless you know the line and the breeder

The CTPK isnt your normal/average betta, but only in that it has a relatively new tail variant. In all other aspects, it's a betta splenden strain mixed with another. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Suzie Q
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

A CTPK is just a cross of a (usually) Male PK and a female CT. Nothing special about them really. PK can be a bit more aggressive then the long finned version. PK are closer to what the wild species is, and in the show, HAVE to show that "aggression" as part of the standards.

As far as tank mates, it is just like any other betta.

Good Luck

Lori
Suzie Q is offline   Reply With Quote