Clogging DIY co2...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
reconmarui
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Clogging DIY co2...

If my co2 lines in the soda bottle co2 system clogs after the check valve won't the check valve blow before the bottle? Are there any fail safes to keep bottles from exploding? How often should I change the airstone? Do they clo easily or at all? How much damage can those bottles do? Or is it just as mess.... I imagine the too just blows I first or the pressure exploits a weakness in the seal where the line goes in the cal. Does using the sealing-less
Method with the diameter of the hole smaller than the tubing fail before the bottle would explode?
reconmarui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

If the CO2 line is clogged, then yes, there is the potential for a DIY CO2 pop bottle to explode.

The only real fail safe is to keep up with maintenance, ensuring that the line and/or the airstone does not become clogged.

The airstone probably does not need to be changed, but can use a good cleaning every so often. They will eventually clog if left alone.

In terms of damage; you will have flying pieces of plastic and a large yeast mess to clean up.

The weakest link in your chain of equipment will be the first to go. If (for example) your tubing is not on the check valve perfectly, it is possible that it will pop off, averting a disaster.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
iant
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmarui View Post
If my co2 lines in the soda bottle co2 system clogs after the check valve won't the check valve blow before the bottle? Are there any fail safes to keep bottles from exploding? How often should I change the airstone? Do they clo easily or at all? How much damage can those bottles do? Or is it just as mess.... I imagine the too just blows I first or the pressure exploits a weakness in the seal where the line goes in the cal. Does using the sealing-less
Method with the diameter of the hole smaller than the tubing fail before the bottle would explode?
My failsafe for my diy co2 is not to glue the check valve to my airline this way if there is too much pressure build up, it could pop out and avoid disaster.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
reconmarui
Algae Grower

Default Clogging DIY co2...

I can't imagine the need to glue on a check valve to be honest...I guess that is my fail safe. Also, any particular air stone? I just went with the small
Cheaper ones. It sits under a tetra whisper bio bag filter, nothing fancy, I know it is very inefficient, im working on a pair of custom diffusers or I might by some cheap glass ones next paycheck
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Darkblade48

I used to use the cheap airstones as well (when I was using DIY CO2).

For the glass diffusers with the ceramic discs, DIY CO2 may not be able to produce enough pressure for the diffuser to work correctly.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
reconmarui
Algae Grower

Okay, my new aquarium has a powered filter system so I get how I can diffuse it in there, but I also have an acrylic aquarium to build. First of all it's one of those 10 dollar corner aquarium. With an under gravel filter, is there a good way to diffuse co2 in that type of filter?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
reconmarui
Algae Grower

Also, can you really get too much co2 from te yeast method? Is that possible in a 1.5 to 2.5 gallon tank?? I actually have one bottle running to two different tanks...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
Darkblade48

Quote:
Okay, my new aquarium has a powered filter system so I get how I can diffuse it in there, but I also have an acrylic aquarium to build. First of all it's one of those 10 dollar corner aquarium. With an under gravel filter, is there a good way to diffuse co2 in that type of filter?
With an undergravel filter (and not a RUGF), you may be better off not injecting CO2 at all, since the surface agitation will quickly off gas any injected CO2.

Quote:
Also, can you really get too much co2 from te yeast method? Is that possible in a 1.5 to 2.5 gallon tank?? I actually have one bottle running to two different tanks...
Yes, it is possible in smaller aquariums to inject too much CO2 via DIY CO2.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
reconmarui
Algae Grower

I'm running one bottle with 2 cups of sugar and a half teaspoon of yeast rigged up to a T fitting. One house going in a 1.5g the other into a 2.5 g, using an air stone on the end of the hose sitting under/around the filter inlet underwater so it probably isn't putting much viable co2 in the water itself I'm guessing a decent amount is jumping out of the water
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

+1
I've never had any luck getting DIY co2 to produce enough pressure to make this style of diffuser work. I've tried a couple different DIY set ups and several different recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I used to use the cheap airstones as well (when I was using DIY CO2).

For the glass diffusers with the ceramic discs, DIY CO2 may not be able to produce enough pressure for the diffuser to work correctly.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.