29g Lighting Help...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

29g Lighting Help...

So I am here again, have my 29g 36x12x17 or something right around there. Maybe that last number is an 18 LOL. Either way, you get the idea. I want to do planted with fish. Just some small fish, I dont really know what right now. I do know I want to try to have a full carpet on the bottom. I really love the look.

I want to be on the high end of medium. If I had low to medium light plants, does it matter if I stray into the high light spectrum for my lighting? Also, I am trying to go no CO2, but if I had to I would learn that as well. Hoping to get by if I have to with a kit under $50. But I would like to avoid it.

I want to be able to retain my hood. I have cats, cats who I do not trust. They do not get on top of the aquarium now, but one of them I know would think about it if there was fish in it.

I was trying to find some sort of full replacement, but it has proved useless. I wanted to stay at around $100 at most, but would be willing to spend about $150 for the right item. Then I got to looking at these.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-led-modules.html

And it got me thinking. What if I gutted the light section of my current hood, and put in two of those into it? The dimensions of the light are 28.5 x 3.5 x 2.5.

Would that be overkill? I have seen a 20g lighted with one of those. Could I get by with one? Or would two be the best? I read on the LED Lighting Guide that this seems to be one of the best options. Or are there other adequate options that would allow me to retain my hood?

Please and thanks in advance for any help or thoughts.

Last edited by DefStatic; 02-23-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Fixing images LOL
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

its only 12watts, i dont think its going be enough light

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

12watts LED but look at these PAR results...

Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater Module
PAR Data(Source) PAR Vs. Distance from source
161 PAR @ surface (3" through air)
101 PAR @ 7"
60 PAR @ 12"
36 PAR @ 18"
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
naturelady
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well, you certainly can put medium to high light on your tank, with low light plants and no CO2. The problem is that you are inviting algae growth by doing that.

Most of the beautiful carpets I have seen in aquariums require medium or high light and CO2 injection.

That hood is going to be a problem. It usually is challenging to find a lighting fixture that meets a person's light requirements, much less finding one that can fit in your hood. Have you considered suspending a light above the tank and adding a glass canopy? Or, another idea if you are a DIY sort of person- you can build your own canopy. That will give you maximum flexibility as far as adding what kind of lights you want. That flexibility often ends up being very budget-friendly in the long run.

As far as the LEDs you mention, it might work. It seems like you would get adequate PAR directly under the lights. However, I suspect it will not provide adequate light spread around the entire tank because of the limitations imposed by the hood. The hood requires the lights to be positioned only in the center of the tank, and only a few inches above the surface of the water. Typically lights must be more spread out and/or higher above the surface of the tank in order for adequate light to reach all parts of the tank.

Besides... If the cat jumps on top of the aquarium, only to find there is no top and lands in the aquarium, I bet the cat doesn't try THAT again. Just because they CAN swim, does not mean they like to...
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a DB Solar Max t5ho on my 29 and I think it where you want to be I'm not running pressurized co2 just a diy setup and all the plants did great till the heater started over heating the tank. I think its 48 watts one 10000k bulb and one 6700k bulb you can run one or both bulbs and it has moon light but just barely.

Last edited by zzrguy; 02-23-2013 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: s
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My worry about a glass canopy is if it will reduce the PAR. And most of them have a strip or something in the middle.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
TMuller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the Finnex Ray II light fixtures. However, a two bulb T5HO fixture should do the job as well. If you wanted to suspend two 65 watt PC bulbs that would also work. I don't think a clean glass top will significantly reduce PAR, and if you place a light strip right behind it, you will get dead center light that fans out just below the surface, so it wouldn't be hindered by the black hinge
TMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am really surprised no one liked my idea of putting something in the existing light fixture LOL.